EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think that was the point he was making
More of a interest is waning - "ok guys we've saturated the market time to release on another platform"
I'm not sure Starfield fits that bill considering the expectations placed on it. If it's releasing on another platform, it's not going to happen without a DLC that addresses all the major issues the players have with the game.
Having said that, most games lose their population this fast, about 50% of remaining players each month. Unless they have content releases at a regular cadence, it seldom if ever will jump back up.

what if Sony release their titles on Xbox?

Sony President Hiroki Totoki says he wants to go aggressive in improving margins by growing 1st party with multi-platform #PlayStation

In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on.

I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.” - Hiroki Totoki

Having said that, most games lose their population this fast, about 50% of remaining players each month. Unless they have content releases at a regular cadence, it seldom if ever will jump back up.
I haven't seen many "high water mark" games lose popularity as fast as Starfield. Compared to BG 3 it's almost a disaster (unless the Steam numbers in the link above are in line with the expectations of Starfield mgmt team) .

Last edited:
what if Sony release their titles on Xbox?

Sony President Hiroki Totoki says he wants to go aggressive in improving margins by growing 1st party with multi-platform #PlayStation

In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on.

I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance
.” - Hiroki Totoki
They have to deal with same evolution of cost of hardware and they rely on same growth logics.
Unlees someone find a new way to get even more money per head (and we are at a point where all actors are really aggressive on this), a bigger userbase is just a delay to get there.

I haven't seen many "high water mark" games lose popularity as fast as Starfield. Compared to BG 3 it's almost a disaster (unless the Steam numbers in the link above are in line with the expectations of Starfield mgmt team) .
BG3 is a game of many generations, the truth is, it is very unlikely any RPG out there will have the standing value of BG3, it is the RPG that all pen and paper players have always wanted, and has set a new benchmark as to what an RPG should be; all previous records will be wiped out by it. It's incomparable.

You can look at the SP games that Sony released on Steam and see the same 50% player base loss, month over month until it dwindles to this sort of base group, which I suspect is just where we hit an intersection of new players discovering the game and players leaving is about the same each month.

Last edited:
BG3 is a game of many generations, the truth is, it is very unlikely any RPG out there will have the standing value of BG3, it is the RPG that all pen and paper players have always wanted, and has set a new benchmark as to what an RPG should be; all previous records will be wiped out by it. It's incomparable.

You can look at the SP games that Sony released on Steam and see the same 50% player base loss, month over month until it dwindles to this sort of base group, which I suspect is just where we hit an intersection of new players discovering the game and players leaving is about the same each month.

The problem is Starfield is built for long term, Skyrim remained up forever, Fallout 4 not as much but better than Starfield. So many players quitting playing is a bad metric for this sort of game, I have a friend who only plays one game at a time or a long time and was considering Starfield. Guess it's not for him, should probably go with his alternative of No Man's Sky instead.

Also I'd guess Hiroki just wants faster PC releases rather than on Xbox. The later a game is from launch the less a premium people are willing to pay and all that.

The problem is Starfield is built for long term, Skyrim remained up forever, Fallout 4 not as much but better than Starfield. So many players quitting playing is a bad metric for this sort of game, I have a friend who only plays one game at a time or a long time and was considering Starfield. Guess it's not for him, should probably go with his alternative of No Man's Sky instead.

Also I'd guess Hiroki just wants faster PC releases rather than on Xbox. The later a game is from launch the less a premium people are willing to pay and all that.
Yes, from that perspective they missed their mark with Starfield and that is very fair criticism.

I wanted to see the context in the Starfield player drop numbers and so I compared to some other games using Steamdb.

For consistency I wanted to use the same day of the week as the peak numbers, for example Starfield released on a Sunday so the I used the exact numbers from the past Sunday (5 months from release).

GameLaunch Peak5 month Peak (using same day of the week)Percentage Players "Lost"
Starfield
96%​
Baldur's Gate 3
68%​
Cyberpunk 2077
98%​
Hogwarts Legacy
98%​
Elden Ring
95%​
Skyrim
83%​
Fallout 4
88%​
The Witcher 3
88%​
Divinity Original Sins 2
86%​

Side Note - If I only could (or figure out) how to copy and paste from excel directly to tables here :unsure:

I wanted to see the context in the Starfield player drop numbers and so I compared to some other games using Steamdb.

For consistency I wanted to use the same day of the week as the peak numbers, for example Starfield released on a Sunday so the I used the exact numbers from the past Sunday (5 months from release).

GameLaunch Peak5 month Peak (using same day of the week)Percentage Players "Lost"
Starfield
96%​
Baldur's Gate 3
68%​
Cyberpunk 2077
98%​
Hogwarts Legacy
98%​
Elden Ring
95%​
Skyrim
83%​
Fallout 4
88%​
The Witcher 3
88%​
Divinity Original Sins 2
86%​

Side Note - If I only could (or figure out) how to copy and paste from excel directly to tables here :unsure:
great job. I understand that the numbers of games like Skyrim and so on are current numbers, right? I mean, not the numbers 5 months after those games were released. Just curious.... (dunno if you can do that with steamdb)

On another note... "Every screen is an xbox", allegedly said Sarah Bond.

I have a friend who only plays one game at a time or a long time and was considering Starfield. Guess it's not for him, should probably go with his alternative of No Man's Sky instead.
If he wants to do both go with Starfield first as it's the much shorter game.

So just to understand the chart let's look at Starfield. Released on Sept 6. you have the launch 236,834 (peak 330,723) concurrent users number. Then the current number you get the SteamDB number five months out (Feb. 6) which is 8,913 concurrent users.

Or Skyrim Extended Edition: Oct. 24, 2016 - launch 69,776 (peak 69,906)
Mar. 20, 2017 - 14,132 concurrent players 5 months from release

Skyrim: Dec. 5, 2011 - launch 140,371 (peak 287,411)
May 7, 2012 - 44, 815 concurrent players 5 months from release

Last edited:
If he wants to do both go with Starfield first as it's the much shorter game.
Because you quit playing after a few hours? :p

Anyway, supposed leak from MS employees about that Townhall meeting. Bunch of stuff about "becoming the number one third party publisher".

I could be wrong and MS is effectively quitting hardware after all. Not that they said that, apparently they said they'll continue. But putting someone that doesn't understand the basic concept of "Razors and Razor Blades" business model in charge of doing console hardware means you're not doing hardware anymore pretty quickly.

great job. I understand that the numbers of games like Skyrim and so on are current numbers, right? I mean, not the numbers 5 months after those games were released. Just curious.... (dunno if you can do that with steamdb)

I used the numbers for 5 months (or nearest to 5 months anyways) from the post launch peak. That way there is context to Starfield's 96% (or 97% as in that article) player drop off rate after release as we have some comparison points.

One thing I'm wondering is if FO4 and Skyrim (or The Witcher 3) relatively smaller drop off says something about the games themselves or that the numbers aren't as comparable due to the difference in time frame. I might try to think of some other major/hype launch titles that had inherent high re-playability from around a decade ago to add some more numbers.

I could be wrong and MS is effectively quitting hardware after all. Not that they said that, apparently they said they'll continue. But putting someone that doesn't understand the basic concept of "Razors and Razor Blades" business model in charge of doing console hardware means you're not doing hardware anymore pretty quickly.

I know traditional gamers likely might not consider this (or want to) but Microsoft has other competitors they can look at, and they do have one which has done the opposite successfully from a business stand point. Apple's Appstore I believe generates 1/3 of all gaming software related revenue and you can argue is the dominant software platform/ecosystem from a business stand point.

On another note... "Every screen is an xbox", allegedly said Sarah Bond.

So are hardware without screen xbox ? /s

I used the numbers for 5 months (or nearest to 5 months anyways) from the post launch peak. That way there is context to Starfield's 96% (or 97% as in that article) player drop off rate after release as we have some comparison points.

One thing I'm wondering is if FO4 and Skyrim (or The Witcher 3) relatively smaller drop off says something about the games themselves or that the numbers aren't as comparable due to the difference in time frame. I might try to think of some other major/hype launch titles that had inherent high re-playability from around a decade ago to add some more numbers.
those numbers really surprise me, because I am sure that Skyrim had loads of players 5 months after launch, to name one. The Witcher 3 too, and I am currently playing Elden Ring -was waiting for the RT patch, not super impressive but it's better than nothing-. A game that I played a lot, which is not typical given how the game is and that you can complete it in just a bit more than 2 hours is Resident Evil 2 Remake. I have 100 hours in it, and it's one of my favourite games ever.

I don't have Starfield for several reasons, one of them being that visiting large like planets don't appeal to me. It's enough to get to know huge maps like Skyrim and the carefully crafted world of Elden Ring, or The Witcher 3, that's what I consider realistic and fun.

But recreating an entire planet is complex, and I'd say maybe no-fun, not to mention lots of planets. Definitely not for me.

A crafted world without being randomly generated and soulless, sounds much more appealing.

The numbers of BG3 are pretty good, in a day and age where there are a lot of games, even great games given away for free, where the offer is so high, the player numbers are still solid.

It'd be curious to know how Skyrim would fare if it was released 5 months ago, that's an eternal game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back