EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
For many weeks now, rumours have persisted regarding Microsoft’s intentions to release a number of 1st party games – namely Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves – on rival platforms. According to our sources, who have asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorised to talk about company plans, that list of games also includes Bethesda Game Studio’s Starfield.
Starfield released back in August of 2023 to fairly positive reception (despite the narrative that now exists online), and was the biggest Bethesda game launch of all time, surpassing 6 million players within a week of release.https://xboxera.com/2023/09/07/star...the-biggest-bethesda-game-launch-of-all-time/
Now it looks as though Microsoft are planning on bringing Betheda’s newest RPG universe to an entirely new platform – PlayStation 5.
According to sources, we understand that currently Microsoft are planning a launch for Starfield on PlayStation 5 post the release of the already announced “Shattered Space” expansion for Xbox and PC, which is on target to arrive at some point later this year. We’ve also been informed that Microsoft have made additional investment into PlayStation 5 dev kits to support ongoing development efforts – adding further fuel to the fire.

Are they gradually facing out XBOX as a console? I mean...why buy an XBOX in the first place. It's as if the XBOX is only a passage to Gamepass and MS doesn't want to deal with the troubles of a console platform in the future as they are seeing it as a less viable solution now after they got ABK and Zenimax? Or is there some other big plan behind it?

Are they gradually facing out XBOX as a console? I mean...why buy an XBOX in the first place. It's as if the XBOX is only a passage to Gamepass and MS doesn't want to deal with the troubles of a console platform in the future as they are seeing it as a less viable solution now after they got ABK and Zenimax? Or is there some other big plan behind it?

If they release all their games on Playstation, the gaming community will "phase out" their consoles for them. Not a single unit would sell. So the market would take care of the situation regardless of Microsoft's intentions.

goodbye Xbox? Long live Microsoft Gaming?

MS has always been a software company but still, Xbox isn't working and here in Europe is a meh.

Phaseout? No. I just believe Microsoft is just trying to make [more] money in another space, or the ecosystem that is PlayStation.
It isn't "just" though. The value proposition to buy an XBOX is affected. They will make money on PS by giving less reason to buy an XBOX and thus lose royalties from games purchased there.

I don't see this as a "Doom" and "Gloom" scenario of Microsoft phasing out the XB hardware line, quite the opposite. I see them restructuring more of their efforts to support all platforms, and yet, providing more cheaper all-digital box solutions (such as S) and potentially mobile XB offerings.

At the very minimum, I don't see Microsoft exiting the console manufacturing space anytime soon, or another attempt at the next-generation.

More people will be able play Starfield so I guess everybody should be happy. Maybe psvr2 support ?

I don't see this as a "Doom" and "Gloom" scenario of Microsoft phasing out the XB hardware line, quite the opposite. I see them restructuring more of their efforts to support all platforms, and yet, providing more cheaper all-digital box solutions (such as S) and potentially mobile XB offerings. At the very minimum, I don't see Microsoft exiting the console manufacturing space anytime soon, or another attempt at the next-generation.

Like I said, it's not up to them.
The very instant that gamers believe all Xbox games will be available on Playstation, Xbox console sales will cease permanently.
Simple value calculation:
"I can buy a Playstation and get Playstation and Xbox games, or I can buy an Xbox and get Xbox games."

Neogaf is burning.

1635638807.jpg

I don't see this as a "Doom" and "Gloom" scenario of Microsoft phasing out the XB hardware line, quite the opposite. I see them restructuring more of their efforts to support all platforms, and yet, providing more cheaper all-digital box solutions (such as S) and potentially mobile XB offerings.

At the very minimum, I don't see Microsoft exiting the console manufacturing space anytime soon, or another attempt at the next-generation.
What you describe sounds like Sony providing the premium all complete console experience and MS the cheaper lower end.

Satya Nutellla! I guess Gamepass has stalled and suddenly they looked from different perspective at all the IP, potential revenues from their acquisitions. I predict next steps would be be xboxOs mode for windows and optional third party xbox consoles from for example asus.

Satya Nutellla! I guess Gamepass has stalled and suddenly they looked from different perspective at all the IP, potential revenues from their acquisitions. I predict next steps would be be xboxOs mode for windows and optional third party xbox consoles from for example asus.
an official gaming layer like say a Windows Lite OS, is something I've been hoping for for years. Then if you needed productivity, the OS could accept extra bloat, but switching between a Windows gaming mode on and off would be ideal.

Hard to say. It'll depend on the fans.

I wouldn't buy a PS5 and wait for 1+ year for Xbox 1st party games that I have to pay for instead of subscribing to GamePass.

Also, they might bring out Starfield to get some PS5 fans addicted thereby enticing them into the Xbox ecosystem to get the next DLC a year early.

If they don't bring out another high end console I'll buy a good PC.

Another consideration:
If other publishers play their own game of connect-the-dots and believe Microsoft will withdraw from the console hardware business (and even if not, they would certainly be de-prioritizing their own hardware), then it's likely they'd wonder why they are even bothering to fund development of Xbox versions of their games. Especially any multiplats that are early in development and are likely two years out. That would be a lot of wasted money on two(X/S) versions of a game that will have a userbase that's even further behind the Playstation than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back