RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

ROG27 said:
Well if it's a new surprise for gamers....I'd assume it's got to be good. In marketing terminology...surprise always implies 'added value'.

It's rare to get something for 'free', which is why I mentioned positive/ negative earlier, i.e. it could be in exchange for a delay or something...

Jaws said:
It's rare to get something for 'free', which is why I mentioned positive/ negative earlier, i.e. it could be in exchange for a delay or something...

Value is relative...if you delay something, say a month or so, and it still launches within the alloted window (Spring 2006...March till June)...no one would even know there was a delay...because the delay only existed internally.

xbdestroya said:
Wait a minute, DD3 Cell, DD3.1? What's goin' on here! :)
Try this page and read the comments (featuring our very own Marco too I believe!). Barry Minor, who's working on Cell at IBM, mentions DD3 and 3.1, such as...
Edison, Version, Donovan,
Chip revisions are a standard part of developing processors. The public will only see the final revision. Most of the changes between DD2 and DD3 were to improve yeild. Some protype systems floating around outside our lab still have DD2 parts. I have not seen any performance differences between the two parts with my code.
I thought this was fairly common knowledge. Hasn't somebody already brought up this info?

ROG27 said:
Value is relative...if you delay something, say a month or so, and it still launches within the alloted window (Spring 2006...March till June)...no one would even know there was a delay...because the delay only existed internally.

Of course, I was suggesting the delay to be outside the Spring 'window'... it could be a few weeks to a few months...

Shifty Geezer said:
Try this page and read the comments (featuring our very own Marco too I believe!). Barry Minor, who's working on Cell at IBM, mentions DD3 and 3.1, such as...
I thought this was fairly common knowledge. Hasn't somebody already brought up this info?

Thanks for the link Shifty.

I'm not surprised nAo would have been all over it (keep on pushing the envelope Marco!), but unfortunately for me I guess I just missed whatever thread here might have referenced that back and forth with Barry Minor. I'll be sure to read it through now to bring myself up to speed. DD3.1 sounds more like a yield thing, DD2-->DD3 sounds more significant though, if it's anywhere on the order of DD1-->DD2.

Hey DeannOC, whereabouts in Cambridge is Ninja Theory at? I'm a native of the city too. Or is that the kind of thing I'm not allowed to know? ;) Either way, I'm rooting for Heavenly Sword because it's born and raised in my hometown.

Uhhh, constructive posts...I'm not so good at that sort of thing.

Old gamesindusty.biz article with interesting insights...

I found this news perusing the net and although it's an old article...some of it is rather contextually insightful and some rather obvious.

Link:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=9186

Excerpt:

Speaking at the JP Morgan technology conference, Burkett confirmed that no silicon has yet been created for the RSX - which is being designed by NVIDIA, but will ultimately be manufactured by Sony itself.

The tech demos shown off at E3, then, were all run on a different piece of hardware - a forthcoming desktop PC chip which, according to Burkett, shares some of its capabilities with the RSX [implying that it's definitely custom...and not something just repackaged].

The news is somewhat unsurprising, given that the first consumer application of the chip in PS3 won't be on shelves for another year, and seems to confirm assertions from Sony's Phil Harrison and a number of third-party developers at the show that the currently available PS3 hardware is running at lower performance levels than will be achieved in the final unit.

Graphics chips are often among the very last pieces of hardware to be finalised in console development, largely due to their complexity [durrr]. Developers at the show also noted that few, if any, studios have Xbox 360 development kits with final ATI graphics hardware in them"

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Like many people have stated before…if the RSX was just a simple overclock G70 variant, then the RSX would have taped out months ago. The real question is how similar or how different is the RSX from its PC brethren.

I’m hedging my bets that the RSX is a 450+ million transistor design……….

Nerve-Damage said:
^^ Like many people have stated before…if the RSX was just a simple overclock G70 variant, then the RSX would have taped out months ago.

There is no real logic in that...considering that RSX is not fabbed anywhere that nVidia's PC chips are....and G7x on 90nm at TSMC have only recently been in production anyway, IIRC.

I don't know how similar RSX is to G7x...but the fact that RSX is being fabbed by Sony means there is little relevance to the time of "tape out" at Sony's fabs, vs. TSMCs.

Nerve-Damage said:
^^ Like many people have stated before…if the RSX was just a simple overclock G70 variant, then the RSX would have taped out months ago. The real question is how similar or how different is the RSX from its PC brethren.

I’m hedging my bets that the RSX is a 450+ million transistor design……….

Nerve-Damage...do you know the implications of 450+ million transistors on one die at the 90nm process...I'd say severe problems with high voltage and not enough heat dissipation, which = instant meltdown...plus on top of that yield problems.

You need to remember that Sony will be utilizing their logic budget alot more efficiently than Nvidia's pc parts. In the pc parts, there is logic for video decoding, etc. that will be scrapped and replaced with stuff that will enable better graphics performance or provide for a more extensive set of graphical features.

I'd say realistically it could be healthily above 300 million (somewhere in the 330 range)...but not that high (450+)

video decoding will be done by cell, which is a monster at doing that stuff anyway...I believe RSX might use some of its capabilities for image quality purposes, as well.

ROG27 said:
Nerve-Damage...do you know the implications of 450+ million transistors on one die at the 90nm process...I'd say severe problems with high voltage and not enough heat dissipation, which = instant meltdown...plus on top of that yield problems.

Wouldn’t that explain the melting PS3(s)!?! J/K :LOL:

Seriously let’s say company “S” had a previous GPU design with company “T” (taped out) that consisted of 400+ million transistor design (Yes 400 million transistors on a pretty huge die I might add). And let’s say hypothetically I saw this finalized version with my own eyes. But some real bullsh** went down between company “S” and company “T”. Soon company “S” figured that company “N” could offer a better setup engine that would fit perfectly with there own proprietary side engines. However company “T” felt that most if not all the original design (Between S & T) was their own brainchild, but before company “T” could make a stink about it…company “S” guaranteed certain things (mostly money) for there help.

Am I saying company “S” and “N” will be using the same technology that was derived between “S” & “T”?

I really can’t say; meaning I don’t know!!

Is there a possibility of it being used is some type of fashion?

The possibility is very high.

What do I get from lying about what I know and what I seen?

Nothing!!

Me being right about what I know?

Priceless!!

TREL ;)

Nerve-Damage said:
Wouldn’t that explain the melting PS3(s)!?! J/K :LOL:

Seriously let’s say company “S” had a previous GPU design with company “T” (taped out) that consisted of 400+ million transistor design (Yes 400 million transistors on a pretty huge die I might add). And let’s say hypothetically I saw this finalized version with my own eyes. But some real bullsh** went down between company “S” and company “T”. Soon company “S” figured that company “N” could offer a better setup engine that would fit perfectly with there own proprietary side engines. However company “T” felt that most if not all the original design (Between S & T) was their own brainchild, but before company “T” could make a stink about it…company “S” guaranteed certain things (mostly money) for there help.

Am I saying company “S” and “N” will be using the same technology that was derived between “S” & “T”?

I really can’t say; meaning I don’t know!!

Is there a possibility of it being used is some type of fashion?

The possibility is very high.

What do I get from lying about what I know and what I seen?

Nothing!!

Me being right about what I know?

Priceless!!

TREL ;)

Nerve-Damage...what do you do that would enable you to see all of this? I'm just curious...are you a journalist?

ROG27 said:
Nerve-Damage...what do you do that would enable you to see all of this? I'm just curious...are you a journalist?

It's purely hypothetical, he's not implying anything when he uses the words 'saw with my own eyes.' :) (I think that's a Kutaragi stand-in)

He's saying, Sony and Toshiba develop the Visualizer (let's just call it that), they break-up on the project, Sony goes to NVidia, but wants to implement some of what was worked on back on Visualizer.

And the question is, is there any reason this could not have been the case.

ROG27 said:

Nope!!

I own a small business (a registered vendor for Michigan) and I also employed with the government. Just have tons of friends working in all types of jobs in the US and overseas. :smile:

Luckily two of them work for company “T” :LOL:

Edit: But if any of the Deans would like to drop in and say that’s no longer the case; I will completely drop the subject. :smile:

Nerve-Damage said:
Nope!!

I own a small business (a registered vendor for Michigan) and I also have job with the government. Just have tons of friends working in all types of jobs in the US and overseas. :smile:

Luckily two of them work for company “T” :LOL:

Edit: But if any of the Deans would like to drop in and say that’s no longer the case; I will completely drop the subject. :smile:

So, let's just say, oh, figuratively, as of right now (or up until recently), "T" has not only helped "S" with their cpu but also with their gpu. Is this the case?

Can I just say once and for all...

Nobody (who knows and doesn't have a death wish) is going to answer the questions
A) Have we moved from CEB to that slimline rack mount 'final' box
B) Are there any kits of any form with RSX in them.

A almost definately means B, hence even questions of form factor (size) are not something we feel comfortable talking about. Of course B doesn't mean A.

When Sony (on high) decide you can know about RSX, then okay but until then expect at best stoney silence or at worst a Dean (A or oC) talking about pies or foot-stools.

Hmmm Piiieee...

Damn it DeanoC making me hungry. Now I want Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream.:LOL:

But anyways yeah no matter how many times you ask the question you're going to get nowhere until Sony says something first.

So we could try some deductions.

Kaz said at CES that 4,000 dev kits have been sent out. Is that cumulatively for all revisions?

Also, one posted a Japanese article about KK expressing interest in using HDMI chipsets which aren't yet widely available. Does that imply RSX isn't finalized?

wco81 said:
So we could try some deductions.

Kaz said at CES that 4,000 dev kits have been sent out. Is that cumulatively for all revisions?

Also, one posted a Japanese article about KK expressing interest in using HDMI chipsets which aren't yet widely available. Does that imply RSX isn't finalized?

I believe that means cumulatively, including all revisions...yes.

RSX is pretty much done I assume...there may be slight chip revisions...like the slight chip revisions cell has been having.

Back