RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

xbdestroya said:
Well Joe this whole thing aside though, what do you think - if you *had* to guess.

RSX or not?

I'm guessing...not. Primarily because we have not heard one peep from anyone (developer, fab, gaming news site) about "final" dev kits being out, or that RSX is in production or even taped out for that matter.

But it's just that: a guess.

Edit: to add to that...we should know at next month's Sony event. The presence (or lack thereof) of PS3 "prototype" hardware running actual software should give us the answer.

Joe DeFuria said:
I'm guessing...not. Primarily because we have not heard one peep from anyone (developer, fab, gaming news site) about "final" dev kits being out, or that RSX is in production or even taped out for that matter.

Hey, fair enough.

Sony is very good on keeping the info under wraps though, you must admit.

But I don't fault your logic.

We'll know who guessed right and who guessed wrong here hopefully within the next six months or so. ;)

I dunno, whatever happened to the good ol' 'wink' to confirm something... these days you gotta rely on Freudian Slips and a maths test!

Joe DeFuria said:

Edit: to add to that...we should know at next month's Sony event. The presence (or lack thereof) of PS3 "prototype" hardware running actual software should give us the answer.

What about the PS3 Blu-ray display that's actually running at CES that claims to be software decoded via CELL/RSX?

ROG27 said:
Btw, that's a really low-level question for a forum-post, good one :)
Someone should invite him to join B3D! He'd get loads of low-level talk, and hopefully up the signal to noise ratio. :D

xbdestroya said:
We'll know who guessed right and who guessed wrong here hopefully within the next six months or so. ;)

Heh...we may actually never know if RSX or RSX based dev kits exist "right now". :)

ROG27 said:
What about the PS3 Blu-ray display that's actually running at CES that claims to be software decoded via CELL/RSX?

It doesn't claim to actually be decoded in real-time, or is using the actual hardware. People really need to understand marketing displays.

The display (with a curious lack of the system being used to display it) says to me that what you're seeing is representative of what the PS3 will display. No different than putting a PS3 spec sheet up, and beneath it showing a game that was running an an alpha dev kit, and than "sped up" or "tweaked" (or even a CGI movie) to show how it's representative of "final PS3 hardware"....which we see all the time at trade shows.

Yeah DeanA look at you, soooo cool. I see your status, viewing this thread... ;)

C'mon - tell us!! You know you want to! :p

(and now... he's gone... what does it all mean!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe DeFuria said:
It doesn't claim to actually be decoded in real-time, or is using the actual hardware. People really need to understand marketing displays.

The display (with a curious lack of the system being used to display it) says to me that what you're seeing is representative of what the PS3 will display. No different than putting a PS3 spec sheet up, and beneath it showing a game that was running an an alpha dev kit, and than "sped up" or "tweaked" (or even a CGI movie) to show how it's representative of "final PS3 hardware"....which we see all the time at trade shows.

I agree with you that it probably isn't a a ps3 console....a ps3 reference tool including a CELL and RSX more than likely :devilish:

ROG27 said:
I agree with you that it probably isn't a a ps3 console....a ps3 reference tool including a CELL and RSX more than likely :devilish:

I certainly consider it a possibility....but without the actual hardware being shown, I personally consider it unlikely. I would guess, if it's being decoded and displayed real-time, that it's Cell + G7x based kit.

Joe DeFuria said:
I honestly don't know where you get the idea that there is certainly an RSX in their dev kit from that.

At most I would guess that they have a cell based kit, and a GPU that is at least similar in capability to RSX....but this is nothing new.

The kit comes actually with a pretty fully functional RSX running at lower speed, the RSX exists :)

Shezad

Hmmm...a pretty fully functional RSX at lower speed? ;)

Assuming you're telling the truth (please forgive my honest skepticism of anonymous forum posters!)...at least it's a start. :) We should at least see some "beta / prototype" hardware running real code at the upcoming Sony event then.

Joe DeFuria said:
Hmmm...a pretty fully functional RSX at lower speed? ;)

Assuming you're telling the truth (please forgive my honest skepticism of anonymous forum posters!)...at least it's a start. :) We should at least see some "beta / prototype" hardware running real code at the upcoming Sony event then.

The kit is pretty similar to the kit showed in the old pictures but is gray and noisy, indeed I don't think will be showed very soon.

Shezad

Shezad said:
The kit is pretty similar to the kit showed in the old pictures but is gray and noisy, indeed I don't think will be showed very soon.

Shezad

Shezad I don't know if you're 'real' or not but I might as well play along for at least one question. Ok grey and noisy, but is it still in the thin rack-mount configuration/form-factor?

Shezad said:

Shezad

Mind if we ask what your credentials are? Developers are under NDA, so unless you've got a career death wish I kind of wonder...

That's what we need, more anonymous dev's signing up and dropping hints.

What's sony gonna do? Sequester the B3D logs and trace your IP? Use an internet cafe!! Lets hear the goods!!

scooby_dooby said:
That's what we need, more anonymous dev's signing up and dropping hints.

What's sony gonna do? Sequester the B3D logs and trace your IP? Use an internet cafe!! Lets hear the goods!!

Are you seriously encouraging people to post rumours or "facts" completely anonymously without backing anything up?

I thought we had the rest of the internet for that :)

Back