Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

That would depend on the miner and optimization, no? I like this graph because it shows baseline, stock levels for most cards. Optimization millage will fluctuate depending on effort invested and silicone lottery results.

Yes, but miners (beyond people who just mine with their gaming gpu in the spare time) never use stock settings for any of the cards. And since stock performance for mining is not indicative of the optimized one, it is useless.

Remember, RX400/500 Power targets are for GPU only. That's how the 120 Watt RX480 rumors started.

No worries, I've got the perfect testing setup. Same mb, same low end Celeron cpu, and the same 1000W PSU. And a multimeter. Fitting 8 1070s or 8 580s into 1000W is not even possible at 100% power target.

So I'll do the measurements at the wall, substract ~30W which is the system power consumption and divide by 8. Sounds good?

Last edited:
You keep saying that, I'm not sure.. I've heard peple reach near max hashrate with the Rx 5xx with power targert of 50 %. I'll definitelly go for that in the weekend, see if you're right. With 1070s i just can't get bellow 70%

Admittedly I've only done BIOS flash then MSI afterburner to max power reduction. I've heard there are ways to go lower.

That would seem.. unlikely given that BestBuy doesn't even let you order CF791.. or this:

View attachment 2165
I suppose someone could call them and point-blank ask, to be sure.
Not a bad idea, but only SKUs that come with games are the Pack SKUs and there's only 3 different SKUs to begin with: Card only, Pack and Pack Aqua.
CF791 isn't available in a lot of places, obviously to use the discount for that you need to pick a store that carries them

How does one claim those discounts?
Most shops have put up just pre-baked deals where you buy them all as "one item", probably varies a bit shop to shop how they want to do it.

AMD Vega graphics cards in shortages
AMD's new Radeon RX Vega series graphics cards, which have become available since August 15, are currently seeing tight supply in the retail channel reportedly due to an insufficient supply caused by low packaging yield rates, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Some sources pointed out that Vega's design of integrating high bandwidth memory (HBM) into the GPU has significantly raised the difficulty of the related packaging process and hence resulted in low yield rates. However, some other sources claimed that the issue may be down to problems with Advanced Semiconductor Engineering's (ASE) packaging technology.
Because of the shortages, most graphics card vendors are only able to receive limited supply of the Vega GPUs and the shortages could last until October.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170824PD207.html

Hen or Egg? Maybe it's 2 suppliers because the first had packaging problems.
Well it's been 2 already on review cards, so they've definitely started using 2 early which should discredit the DigiTimes claims

Sometimes, early samples get re-used on review cards if they meet appropriate criteria. Maybe that's the case here as well?

edit:
What I don't really get is, why Vega should be materially different to package than Fiji. If anything, it should be easier with it's smaller package size and HBM connected only to one side of the die. And AMD and it's partners have had 2+ years now to figure things out and gather experience with Fiji in theory (assuming, Fiji production wasn't stopped a year ago already)

Sometimes, early samples get re-used on review cards if they meet appropriate criteria. Maybe that's the case here as well?
It's entirely possible. These days it seems like AMD it purposely removing the "engineering sample" stickers from the hardware to make it less obvious, but that doesn't mean they're not still samples.

What I don't really get is, why Vega should be materially different to package than Fiji. If anything, it should be easier with it's smaller package size and HBM connected only to one side of the die. And AMD and it's partners have had 2+ years now to figure things out and gather experience with Fiji in theory (assuming, Fiji production wasn't stopped a year ago already)

Perhaps the difference here is not that Vega is more difficult to package than Fiji, but that AMD is counting on Vega 10 to move a lot more units than Fiji did.
Apart from the very short-lived 1st-gen Radeon Pro Duo, did Fiji ever appear in non-gaming cards?
Even in the gaming market, Vega 56 has a much lower launch MSRP than the lowest-end Fiji - Fury - which was $150 more expensive at launch. That should also be indicative that Vega 10 is bound to sell more units.

Perhaps the difference here is not that Vega is more difficult to package than Fiji, but that AMD is counting on Vega 10 to move a lot more units than Fiji did.
Apart from the very short-lived 1st-gen Radeon Pro Duo, did Fiji ever appear in non-gaming cards?
First gen Radeon SSGs had Fiji

Even in the gaming market, Vega 56 has a much lower launch MSRP than the lowest-end Fiji - Fury - which was $150 more expensive at launch. That should also be indicative that Vega 10 is bound to sell more units.
So, are you implying they went for a more.... economical solution with their packaging partners causing this?

Actually yes since AMD is looking not only into selling cards to end users but also in the enterprise industry with super computers, and IA.

To me it appears as 510€. It took this screenshot just now:

XGvB79s.png

Seeing the discussion on reddit, it could be that the price is reserved for EU customers.

Someone in the PCGH forums posted it this morning. I clicked on his link at 1300 and it said 649 for me. Same now.
Maybe they throw some kind of lottery? Or you need to refresh your browser cache?

Or you need to go through their special offers "mindstar" first, where it indeed is listed for 509 EUR. Good!
https://www.mindfactory.de/Highlights/MindStar/main/true

No, they simply have substantially more demand for Vega 10 than they did for Fiji, to the point that they need to be using 2 different packaging locations to meet such demand.
You make it sound like that's a god given fact. And even if that was true, it does not bode well that they are seemingly unable to send out the same speficiations for both locations. Heck, even I can do a CC on an e-mail.

A real fact is, they had time for inventory build up for weeks and months now with Vega FE as the high priced pipe cleaner and mining-deterrant.

Last edited:
Back