Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by pharma, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pharma

Veteran Regular

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ra...-of-stock-and-a-100-bucks-more-expensive.html

DrYesterday likes this.
  2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

DF finds that clocking the 56 ram up to the same speed as the 64 gives you 5% performance. Overclocking both core and memory will get you similar performance across the board against the 1080 .
    Plenty of people got them for msrp when bought on launch day. They sold out and now those who have some left want a premium its not any diffrent than any other launch in history. The 56 isn't out yet and when it is , it will sell for $400 until sold out . When more come in I except the price of the 64 to go back down just like the other launches.

3. DrYesterday

Newcomer

See the story at Kitguru. Confirmed from two retailers now that AMD rebated a fixed number of cards at each retailer for $100 each in order to keep the day 1 launch price at $499. The implication is that AMD wanted their cards reviewed and compared at the lower price point, but with the intention of selling them at the higher price point.

xpea and pharma like this.
  4. pharma

Veteran Regular

KitGuru story on prices ....

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-gibson-clears-up-rx-vega64-pricing-disaster/

5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

When you think the perfs were bad enough for AMD, they double down with prices tactics.
    Incredible launch. nVidia must be laughing so hard right now. The team working on the volta gaming version must have had a free month vaccation from the boss. "Go home fella's, we don't need you right now"

6. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I know that's not really the point but I wonder who these people are that buy cards within 15 minutes of their launch. That's an awfully short time to read reviews and make a decision.

7. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Did they really expect that this wouldn't somehow end up in the press? What did they gain by doing this? 3 days of ok-ish press for Vega in return for some (imagery) moral high ground?

There has to be more to the story than this. They can't be this stupid.

pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  8. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Isn't that false advertising? Also As much As I like AMD I won't recommended anyone to spend 700 dollars or 600 dollars in VEGA cards, at those prices Nvidia's wins clearly.

9. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

You could also wonder as to what there was to gain by the staging an protracted international taste-test carnival show while giving the actual reviewers 3 days to work with the cards, but yet here we are.

DrYesterday likes this.
  10. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Many of the reviewers only had 1 day to test them, which is just ridiculous.

DrYesterday, CaptainGinger and Jawed like this.
  11. sir doris

Regular

I guess the rough performance was known, if you have a freesync monitor and don't game 24/7 making the power consumption a major factor, it only takes a couple of minutes to look at a few graphs. I came really close to clicking on "Proceed to Checkout", but in the end the noise and power consumption put me off, however would it have been the only GPU in my system and I wasn't playing with mining I would have bought one.

12. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I was on the fence of waking up at 6am to grab one asap. Just for compute experiments... (ROCm/hip/...) And then I remembered that it would end up like all these kickstarter HW gizmos (Arduinos, Raspberry Pi clones etc) sitting unused in a box, but much more expensive.

Alexko likes this.
  13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The initial $499 stock was without any bundles, the $599 ones have 2 games bundled

14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

never heard of them , i will have to see how it plays out over the next few weeks

15. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

And the standalone version was limited - curiously not the limited edition, which seems rather unlimited right now.
    I just hope Vega 56 will be launch normally.

Lightman likes this.
  16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Correct, which they specifically tout as FREE games, implying the GPU is now $599.

17. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

Idk if its funny or sad that they increase the cost of the VGA because it comes with """"free""""" games...lol

iMacmatician likes this.
  18. ToTTenTranz

The version with the games is a bundle. Just like the version with the CPU and monitor.

The games were never presented as an offering, they were presented as a $120 value in the $600 black pack with either the normal or limited editions of the Vega 64.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMD was very explicit over a month ago that this was the way they were using to try to get some cards in the hands of gamers instead of miners.
    They said in interviews that at least during launch non-bundle cards would be sold in limited quantities because those would probably get gobbled up by miners.

Of course, I could post interviews and links of decent techsites explaining this and these slides a thousand times over that right afterwards there would be someone posting a hitpiece like that kitguru one and then the mob would naturally have to follow with the "OMG, AMD is so evil" speech.

Yes, bad naughty AMD for figuring out ways to get cards to people who legitimately want to play games by selling them in bundles with monitors, CPUs and games that miners don't want.

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Sorry but that's wrong. There are many entries on Newegg for the cards outside of bundles that come with "free" games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-150-808

20. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'm not sure about other countries, but isn't it illegal for manufacturers to tell retailers what price to sell their product for? Once the retailer buys it from AMD, the price of what the retailer charges is completely out of their hands by law.

What is this Gibbons guy going on about?!?