Pricing Discussions around AMD VEGA *over-flow*

It's able to crank out more MH/s per card, so if you're on very favourable electricity prices … Don't forget, we're not talking about a single 6-GPU rig in your dad's garage, but warehouses full of 8-GPU-Rigs on iceland near geothermal powerplants.

Last edited:
Did something happen to make Vega attractive to miners? Last I checked it was less profitable than the gtx1070.
Not necessarily, but if AIBs can ask higher prices on lower end, more attractive cards and can still sell all the Vegas at higher price than AMD intended, why wouldn't they?

edit: and what @CarstenS said above

It's able to crank out more MH/s per card, so if you're on very favourable electricity prices … Don't forget, we're not talking about a single 6-GPU rig in your dad's garage, but warehouses full of 8-GPU-Rigs on iceland near geothermal powerplants.

But you need more power supplies.

I know, but still, it consumes more power. Even if power is "free", if you can pack more mh/s with less heat output and less power consumption, it's still a better solution imo.

In France you have some at 749euro, with a big reduction so in the end it's around 505 euro (not in stock though)

Did something happen to make Vega attractive to miners? Last I checked it was less profitable than the gtx1070.

Perhaps a better measurement would be how much revenue the 1070 could produce before it could be optimized, and Polaris 10 before that.

Multiply an average of those values to Vega's current 37MH/s and maybe you'll see why many miners are hysterical about getting them.

Radeon-RX-Vega-Blockchain-Driver-Ethereum-Hashrate.png

Taking energy (power & cooling) costs out of the equation for a second, in a magical world where cards are available at/close to MSRP, $300 RX 580 8GB would really render everything else irrelevant with its stellar MH/s per dollar ratio. In the real world where 580/1070 cards are sold for $450+ and are in short supply, Vega even at $599 is definitely competitive, especially if your biggest constraint is physical space and you need to maximize MH/s per meter-squared. If electricity costs are a major consideration, the calculation changes, obviously.

Taking energy (power & cooling) costs out of the equation for a second, in a magical world where cards are available at/close to MSRP, $300 RX 580 8GB would really render everything else irrelevant with its stellar MH/s per dollar ratio. In the real world where 580/1070 cards are sold for $450+ and are in short supply, Vega even at $599 is definitely competitive, especially if your biggest constraint is physical space and you need to maximize MH/s per meter-squared. If electricity costs are a major consideration, the calculation changes, obviously.

I'm reaching 32.3 Mhs with my 1070s and ~28.5 Mhs with my Aorus 4GB Rx 580s . The Radeons can go higher I'm sure, didnt get the time to optimize them. So this graph is pretty allover the place, in my opinion

Radeon-RX-Vega-Blockchain-Driver-Ethereum-Hashrate.png

Except the 1070 is in stock for $450 and kills the 580 on power consumption while still beating it in MH/s. Market forces aren't rational.

Isn't there time pressure due to a lack of availability of the most favored cards while in competition with other miners and profitability-reducing measures like difficulty increases and reward decreases?
Even a sub-optimal solution is better than not showing up if there's an expectation that there's limited prospects for improvement, just time and opportunity lost.

That also gives you the right for the discounts, regardless if they advertise it or not, it's a Pack-version

That would seem.. unlikely given that BestBuy doesn't even let you order CF791.. or this:

upload_2017-8-24_12-49-29.png
I suppose someone could call them and point-blank ask, to be sure.

I'm reaching 32.3 Mhs with my 1070s and ~28.5 Mhs with my Aorus 4GB Rx 580s . The Radeons can go higher I'm sure, didnt get the time to optimize them. So this graph is pretty allover the place, in my opinion

That would depend on the miner and optimization, no? I like this graph because it shows baseline, stock levels for most cards. Optimization millage will fluctuate depending on effort invested and silicone lottery results.

Except the 1070 is in stock for $450 and kills the 580 on power consumption while still beating it in MH/s. Market forces aren't rational.

You keep saying that, I'm not sure.. I've heard peple reach near max hashrate with the Rx 5xx with power targert of 50 %. I'll definitelly go for that in the weekend, see if you're right. With 1070s i just can't get bellow 70%

That would depend on the miner and optimization, no? I like this graph because it shows baseline, stock levels for most cards. Optimization millage will fluctuate depending on effort invested and silicone lottery results.
In that regard especially, I find the R9 390X amazing.

You keep saying that, I'm not sure.. I've heard peple reach near max hashrate with the Rx 5xx with power targert of 50 %. I'll definitelly go for that in the weekend, see if you're right. With 1070s i just can't get bellow 70%
Remember, RX400/500 Power targets are for GPU only. That's how the 120 Watt RX480 rumors started.

Back