IHV Business strategies and consumer choice

The PS5 pro chatter is intriguing in its embrace of hardware RT and ML based upscaling. Two drums Nvidia has been banging for a while now. With Intel/AMD/Nvidia all going down the same path it will be interesting to see how they will differentiate going forward.

Begun the chiplet wars have?

At least for now hopefully it means developers can wholeheartedly embrace these technologies without fear of segmenting their target market.

The PS5 pro chatter is intriguing in its embrace of hardware RT and ML based upscaling.
Still need to know more on what they mean and how it's implemented.
But generally speaking was there ever any doubt that this is the direction of future GPU evolution?

Still need to know more on what they mean and how it's implemented.
But generally speaking was there ever any doubt that this is the direction of future GPU evolution?

Depends on who you ask I guess. There was (and still is) significant resistance to both RT and upscaling in the gaming community.

There was (and still is) significant resistance to both RT and upscaling in the gaming community.
Some resistance to RT yes, but upscaling is nigh universal now, gamers want and demand it, titles released without upscaling are ridiclued and frowned upon, especially DLSS among NV owners, they demand it feverishly.

NVIDIA managed to truly create something with DLSS, it's the most successful and widespread exclusive tech in history, with over 500 games and counting, and with multiple iterations and new capabilities every couple of years.

Heck, outside of brand loyality, I think most average gamers choose NV over AMD because of DLSS, RT comes in at a distant second.

Last edited:
Some resistance to RT yes, but upscaling is nigh universal now, gamers want and demand it, titles released without upscaling are ridiclued and frowned upon, especially DLSS among NV owners, they demand it feverishly.

NVIDIA managed to truly create something with DLSS, it's the most successful and widespread exclusive tech in history, with over 500 games and counting, and with multiple iterations and new capabilities every couple of years.

Heck, outside of brand loyality, I think most average gamers choose NV over AMD because of DLSS, RT comes in at a distant second.

That doesn’t quite match my experience. People make noise when inferior upscaling options were included because at that point there’s no excuse for including higher quality options. I haven’t seen many folks demanding upscaling support in games over native though.

I haven’t seen many folks demanding upscaling support in games over native though.
Then you might not be following the recent releases, people were up in arms when Starfield launched without DLSS, Helldivers 2 launched without DLSS or FSR and people were angry as well. Most games now have DLSS and people are used to turning it on to get more fps. Also, many people demand upscaling for heavy games (of which there are many right now) to play on their older GPUs.

Starfield launched with just FSR which understandably irritated folks which I acknowledged above. No I haven’t seen any grumbling about Helldivers lacking upscaling at launch.

Yeah some good tidbits in this article.
Was going to refer you to this incident, glad you found it.

And it's not the only one, many posts on Reddit and Steam demand DLSS, it's probably coming, but the developer has other priorities to do.

Starfield launched with just FSR which understandably irritated folks which I acknowledged above. No I haven’t seen any grumbling about Helldivers lacking upscaling at launch.
There are definitely grumblings even despite the game running at 60 fps in 4K on previous gen midrange GPUs.

What sort of AMD gains that would give them such huge much gains? No one announced anything, not the developer or AMD, nor any other test site for that matter. I don't think something big like that would go announced by any of the interested parties.

I did some investigation, and here are the results:
In TPU testing the 4090 is 7x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.
In Tomshardware testing the 4090 is 7.5x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.
It's also ~7x times faster using ComputerBase testing.
However, in the original GameGPU benchmark (version 2.0 of the game), the 4090 is only 5x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.

So something wrong with the test sequence GameGPU is using, causing it to give results with reduced gaps between AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

Even a 4090 isnt more than 4x faster than a 6900XT
As for your other point, the 4090 is only 4x faster than 6900XT in Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX.

In Portal RTX, it's 18x times faster at any resolution.

Last edited:
What sort of AMD gains that would give them such huge much gains? No one announced anything, not the developer or AMD, nor any other test site for that matter. I don't think something big like that would go announced by any of the interested parties.

I did some investigation, and here are the results:
In TPU testing the 4090 is 7x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.
In Tomshardware testing the 4090 is 7.5x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.
It's also ~7x times faster using ComputerBase testing.
However, in the original GameGPU benchmark (version 2.0 of the game), the 4090 is only 5x times faster than 6900XT at 1440p.

So something wrong with the test sequence GameGPU is using, causing it to give results with reduced gaps between AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

As for your other point, the 4090 is only 4x faster than 6900XT in Quake 2 RTX and Minecraft RTX.

In Portal RTX, it's 18x times faster at any resolution.
You're might want to try something else than NVIDIA titles (meaning more than just usual sponsor stuff) to prove a NV card is x times faster than competitors.

Back