PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

Could it be, that even low level api had to have some refinements, before public release? Must be not all to the metal, it's still an api.

So in theory this update should improve:
  • Loading times across the board
  • Framerate in CPU perf limited titles
  • Framerate in GPU perf limited titles
  • Framerate in mem bandwidth limited titles

about Cinema Mode
- yes it looks clearer now
- black void surrounding the virtual screen is a bit gray now (not as gray as in VR games).
- the tracking is still as shitty as before, complete with the drift.

btw did sony silently update their 120hz upsampler or something?
I cant really point it out to what, but this new FW makes

- Playroom VR intro floating robot looks really clear (it was a wee bit blurry before), and the floating DS4 also looks really clear. Generally all games looks clearer. Heck, now i can easily see the fine texture of DS4 touchpad on Hatsune Miku future live!
- Head movements tracking feels different (could be placebo), cant pinpoint to what (i cant downgrade PSVR back to 2.00).

that makes me thinks, maybe they update their 120 hz upsampler, thus resulting clearer picture and the different tracking feeling? or all of these are just placebo, because i dont have two headset side-by-side and cant downgrade back to v2.00.

@Clukos
thanks a ton

I thought the Playroom VR stuff was all native 120hz to begin with. They may have improved the reprojection tech in any case.

I want to try BF4 with boost but I am not in the beta.

Sad tuna [emoji17]......
I register for every firmware beta and have been sent a code for every single one. Except this one. This is the only one I was interested in trying! ;)

I register for every firmware beta and have been sent a code for every single one. Except this one. This is the only one I was interested in trying! ;)

If you have access to the beta forum account area thingy, I think you can use that too see all you voucher codes. IT should be one there, if you got it. I found mine there.

Seem like many had did not get emails about their beta code.

No joy. Oh well, betas usually become releases pretty quickly and I don't have much time for games at the moment. I'm buying leeway for March when HZD and Zelda launch in the same week. I can sneakily hide my Zelda play but can't hide my HZD play.

So in theory this update should improve:
  • Loading times across the board
  • Framerate in CPU perf limited titles
  • Framerate in GPU perf limited titles
  • Framerate in mem bandwidth limited titles
Taken for Eurogamer's comments, but seems legit and confirms CPU, GPU and memory bandwidth boost:

Krychek3 days ago

I just sat down with a good programmer friend of mine (who has been through the PS4 Pro patch routine) and barraged him with questions.

Notable findings:

- Games with 30fps caps WILL run closer to their cap.

- Games with 60fps caps WILL run closer to their cap.

- Games with unlocked frame rates WILL run faster, but, as with those capped games, various V-sync solutions may determine stability and frame pacing integrity.

- Some adaptive V-sync schemes will work seamlessly and simply show less tearing under stress.

- Some adaptive LoD schemes are 'uncapped' and will simply show less stuttering under stress with the increase to raw bandwidth.

- Depending on programming, Boost mode could also improve basic loading times or asynchronous loading schemes thanks to faster decompression via the upclock. Not a huge increase though.

- Boost mode will harness: increased CPU clock speeds, increased GPU clock speeds, increased VRAM/memory system bandwidth.

- Boost mode will NOT magically allow a game to properly use additional CUs/stream units. Games are specifically programmed to those elements. Unless the game engine is programmed to automate tasks to any available CUs. 'Uncapped' automation, if you will. Some physics implementations are happy to do this. That's in a smaller minority on console. Most are fine-tuned.

- Some games will be able to consume all those extra resources in Boost mode.

- Boost mode will not magically add or enable visual settings like anti/supersampling/anisotropic/draw distance/effects density/resolution or texture upgrades, etc. Clearly those are specifically programmed or inserted.

- However, many implementations of AA will see less of a performance impact under Boost.

- Adding to the previous, says to remember Pro patches very specifically FLAG the game to Pro mode. You cannot combine Boost mode with Pro patch, because they are booting into two entirely different code flags ("pass through" compatibility OR Pro patch).

- So then, Boost is pass-through but with Sony's defined global clock unlocks/bandwidth increases.

- Defined? Like, not totally unlocked? He's not sure. There's also stuff like chipset/system temps/power draw to consider. With a Pro patch you can safely work within the tools to determine relative system load/stress. The Boost unlocks may be significantly higher but placed within a slightly lower 'safe range' for baseline system stability and stress considerations.

- A few games will be too unstable/unreliable to play in Boost mode. Players will probably call upon those developers to patch, in those cases. Ironic, for games that developers had absolutely no intention of Pro patching.

- Worst case, a few games may actually freeze or crash to the front end under Boost mode. That's very possible he says. It all depends on coding and what the vanilla client is expecting or wants to see in the spec. There are failsafes.

- Could Boost help much smaller teams, like 2-3 man indie teams, that can't devote resources to preparing Pro patches? Yes of course, it's hands-off (duh, dumb question).

- Could this allow smaller teams to prepare easier "micro-patches" for Pro? In theory, of course. But again, if the team is already going through the motions of Pro mode, they're getting access to the full spectrum of the hardware - so they might as well take advantage.

- Besides, he clarifies, at that stage they're enabling the full Pro flag regardless, so the point is moot.

- (paraphrasing) "But yes, if players start to really like the Boost mode it may encourage developers to revisit much older games and add quick Pro support. To at minimum revise compatibility and stability for the clocks. That's something you can do in a day."

- Notably, in Pro development the tools are essentially giving access to a Boost mode up front to allow compatibility testing when preparing Pro patches. This gives developers what he calls an "easy mode" for taking a lazy approach to Pro patches. It lets them harness the bare minimum clock/memory bandwidth increases and test and apply basic timing/calls and frame tweaks to ensure stability.

- Again, this requires basic code alterations and thus falls into the Pro flag enabled category. (paraphrasing) "Remember some of these 'ninja' Pro patches that were slipped into shipping games or vanilla patches without announcement? I bet you most of them started using this easy method before getting updated."

- If developers see that users don't mind uncapped frame rates with fairly large fluctuations in Boost, that could be an easy feature to add via Pro patch. But he says Sony is really encouraging devs to use 4K-friendly modes or superior settings at 1080p for official patches, and stability. That's kind of the reputation of Pro. So they may not encourage such simple patches.

- That's probably why they're advancing this "hands off/guilt free/at your own risk" Boost mode, and doing it some months after the Pro release so instability controversies didn't cloud the launch.

- I think that's very, very important to keep in mind.

- Obviously that could have been bad PR. For all those saying "Why didn't they do this from the start?"

- (as well as any perceived multiplayer advantages - a point of contention for some that will still come up because of this. Prepare for the angst).

- Doing it now gives them another bone to throw to an already established Pro base hungry for any and all Pro benefits. The timing is right.

- A perceived "blanket" improvement to all PS4 games also steals some of the thunder from the competition's future offerings, getting some people off the fence in terms of Pro interest.

- We agreed it's a great move, even if it pisses off some vanilla owners. This is what most users wanted from the Pro. Meanwhile, Pro patches provide the full range of enhancements with full developer control.

- Why could Boost mode 'break' some games? Because some games have their AI, logic, loading schemes, etc. specifically tied to a defined performance profile. Optimized and tested to that range. These games are attached to those expected settings and programmed specifically to function within those expected performance parameters. That's console development.

- How about games using dynamic/adaptive resolution scaling schemes? Depends on the engine and optimization range. A good DRS engine will absolutely benefit from Boost mode "out of the box" -- in other words, maintain higher resolution averages towards the target frame rate.

- Others will be more confined to ranges specifically programmed to vanilla PS4 specs and would need a mandatory Pro patch to add enhanced support and change the defined range/parameters. Boost mode won't magically rewrite that code.

And... get back to work.

I'm curious with the external hdd support.

Speed impact? Can I use the drive in a computer like Xbox? Can I just plug the drive to other ps4 and login with my ID to bring my game like Xbox?

Apparently so - you can now take your games with you...this is perfect for what I will be using it for (in my post below)...

I want to try BF4 with boost but I am not in the beta.

Sad tuna [emoji17]......

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Apparently much improved framerates shame we can't improve resolution some way :(

Wow, this is a fantastic 'stealth' update...awesome stuff. I guess the boost mode was just something Sony didn't want to release until they had data to show it worked with most games? Either way - it's a great feature which you can just leave on (except for the odd game when you get an issue).

I'll be using the external HDD for my PSVR games, it's perfect - it saves me a chunk of space :)

If it's only access to the greater clocks and not the second set of CUs, improvements won't be massive and certainly we won't see the 1080p60 box hoped for. Also doesn't this mean a PS4+ could be made with just higher clocks? Like the XBOSlim.

If it's only access to the greater clocks and not the second set of CUs, improvements won't be massive and certainly we won't see the 1080p60 box hoped for. Also doesn't this mean a PS4+ could be made with just higher clocks? Like the XBOSlim.
Apparently if we believe this guy the boost does allow access to the "second" GPU, but only if the game was accessing the CUs not specifically.

Boost mode will NOT magically allow a game to properly use additional CUs/stream units. Games are specifically programmed to those elements. Unless the game engine is programmed to automate tasks to any available CUs. 'Uncapped' automation, if you will. Some physics implementations are happy to do this. That's in a smaller minority on console. Most are fine-tuned.

- Some games will be able to consume all those extra resources in Boost mode.

Back