PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

Tried it out on a 1920*1200 monitor at 720p@60 as well and thought it looked pretty good. I had grabbed a PSTV when they went on sale for $20 specifically for Remote Play at my desk. The app seems like a viable (and more convenient for my use case) replacement.

I'm not saying it looks very bad. I'm saying it looks bad in comparison to streaming in 1080p+.
I wish we had the option to run 1080p30 instead of 720p60, as bitrate shouldn't be very different between those modes. Plus, with the inherent latency that is present in most games, it's not like a lot of people will be willing to play fast-paced games that demand a high framerate using remote play.

I don't think the hardware can do it. It's probably dependent on the same logic that records your gameplay.

From Eurogamer, some additional uncovered features:

Eurogamer said:
PS4 firmware 3.50 went out this week with the headline addition of PC and Mac remote play as well as the ability to appear offline.

But, as chronicled by eagle-eyed PS4 users on Reddit, 3.50 does more than that.

The USB music player has returned. You can set a party member limit now, from two to eight people. And there's a search field on the game list, so you can quickly find live streams, for example, and pin up to three games that will stay on top of the list.

But perhaps the most useful improvement is the PS4, according to users on Reddit, now properly supports 4TB drives. Have fun filling one of those!

Hello my beloved usb music player

Btw I stupidly only plug 1tb instead of 2tb hdd due to cost concern. It's already full. Ugh.

Lesson to learn :, storage is never enough

f*ck my netbook is 1280x720 and the remote play app won't install because it wants X768 resolution mini, that's so dumb.

If you have Radeon/Nvidia, you can maybe enable "super virtual resolution". I currently have that active on my 270X and my 1080p screen has listings to up to 1440p.

I'm not sure what they mean it supports 4TB, they worked for the most part before 3.5. So what did Sony do if anything? Did they cure the sleep function issues for all drives?

Looking forward to some DF testing to see if this will let drives break the ~30MB/s limit the internal drives are restricted to

This is what we wanted and in many ways expected (same hardware architecture). It'll certainly help boost Pro adoption when all the 1080p gamers see notable gains on all their games.

Games that could benefit significantly: Until Dawn, Killzone Shadowfall with unlocked framerate, Bloodborne without frame pacing problems hopefully.

Back