PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

D

Deleted member 11852

I couldn't find an unlocked general PS4 thread to post this in so sorry if I missed it, the other two are locked.

Do you care about your save game files? The ability to use cloud saves? Whether your PS4 bursts into flames? If the answer to all three questions is 'no' and you're in the EU then sign up to test the beta firmware 3.5 here. :yep2:

Well we all know it's better these days to use multiple threads than one big one. And as a GPU centric site, we should be aiming to read at least a thousand threads in parallel. Only thing holding us back is a lack of 1,048,576 x 2160 monitors. :( (and an intrinsically single-threaded vision system)

Signed up, what harm can it do this late in the game. Plus you can go back to the previous firmware at any time should it suck major spherical objects.

This test is going to be for a big firmware. Sony releases big ones [0.5 increases] every six months since the launch of PS4. Time is nearing for a next one.

So they are going to get people to beta test something in the firmware that no one can actually buy yet... Hmmm, I'm going to say VR will not be what is being tested ;)

Hopefully an improved media player that can rewind and fast forward content on a media server.

Even less memory used to run the OS, freeing up the ridiculous 2.5 gbs it require(s/d)

Being able to resume a game that requires the internet would also be nice, The Crew definitely doesn't resume after resting (Technically I suppose it does, but immediately kicks you back to the title screen), not sure about Need for Speed.

This is the kind of stuff I'm hoping for to be honest.

So they are going to get people to beta test something in the firmware that no one can actually buy yet...

If I remember correctly, public testing of big PS4 firmwares started a year ago with 2.50 [suspending of games in low power mode, deletion of games with 0% trophies, 60fps support for RemotePlay/Shareplay and more]. Now they are only allowing more regular users to apply.

I couldn't find an unlocked general PS4 thread to post this in so sorry if I missed it, the other two are locked.
Do you care about your save game files? The ability to use cloud saves? Whether your PS4 bursts into flames? If the answer to all three questions is 'no' and you're in the EU then sign up to test the beta firmware 3.5 here. :yep2:
The time when you could just throw any thread worthy news into a unique and monstrous thread is over. Lazy posting is over. You now have to create a thread! How dare they? ;)

My P.T. copy forbids me to do any Beta testing even in the name of stable-ility.

So they are going to get people to beta test something in the firmware that no one can actually buy yet... Hmmm, I'm going to say VR will not be what is being tested ;)

Hopefully an improved media player that can rewind and fast forward content on a media server.

Even less memory used to run the OS, freeing up the ridiculous 2.5 gbs it require(s/d)

Being able to resume a game that requires the internet would also be nice, The Crew definitely doesn't resume after resting (Technically I suppose it does, but immediately kicks you back to the title screen), not sure about Need for Speed.

This is the kind of stuff I'm hoping for to be honest.
Its up to game developers to handle how resuming an online game works. Firmware doesn't have anything to do with it.

Back