Game saves sharing apparently easy to do on PS3

Well I don't care about entitlements but I did have a Max Drive. However, I only downloaded rosters not completed game saves.

I did use walthroughs though on some games I rented because I was more interested in checking out as much of the level design as possible in the short rental period than playing through the game.

But yeah, didn't the old RE games let you get a rocket launcher if you finished the game and you could replay it with that weapon?

I could see myself making use of that kind of save, not to win some online points which doesn't mean anything to me, but just to see as much of the game as possible during a rental.

You can use these points to buy stuff I gather?

right, but have you read anywhere that the netcode of all games on the PSN are able to distinguish that info from each user?

I would think that would need to be coded specifically for each game based on the way that the PSN's online play is engineered on a per game basis and not integrated completely( ie voice chat and friends lists).

From all account, PSN also has a unified login layer. As long as PSN is integrated into the game, I'd say one at least needs to do a server back-end black list check during authorization (or yet another authentication) into the game.

Even XBL's more integrated system still blocks users by Gamertag and not IPs afaik.

Implementation details and policy details. You can also have both like in some chat rooms.

agreed but I think over time my concerns will be more evident. this is MS's 2nd generation online gaming system and 5 years in practice. Hopefully sony learned from them as well and realize their importance. these things are known issues and need to be addressed for a rich persistent online experience. IMO.

for example 360 version of Live is 10 x what Xbox1's was with regard to working out many of the pitfalls. IMO

I don't know if MS will share that with Sony... but there are other MMOGs that Sony can learn from, including its own ZIPPER Interactive and SOE. It's up to them to execute. I don't think we can comment much here.

From all account, PSN also has a unified login layer. As long as PSN is integrated into the game, I'd say one at least needs to do a server back-end black list check during authorization (or yet another authentication) into the game.

Implementation details and policy details. You can also have both like in some chat rooms.

I don't know if MS will share that with Sony... but there are other MMOGs that Sony can learn from, including its own ZIPPER Interactive and SOE. It's up to them to execute. I don't think we can comment much here.

you're right.

better to wait and see a game that has cheaters and see how it's handled. thanks for the discussion though Patsu. :smile:

RidgeRacer7 auto saves your save game on the PSNetwork by default. Even if you go to another machine and login with the same account you should have the same position.

I reformated the HD in my system. But when I went back into the game I was still where I left off. That was very cool. Who needs memory cards when everything is tied to your account name!

Also ghost replays for global time attacks are stored on the network.

There is also the option to save your game to disk or flash media. Probably for the poor suckers who don't have an internet connection. I don't know if other people can load it.

I expect the GT game to have a similar system or a better one.

Seems to me this is something Sony probably overlooked. I can't imagine any console company would really have an issue with users exchanging game saves. But, the problem historically has been that the save files themselves have been modified to allow some hack or exploit, ie. booting unsigned code, hijacking, online cheating, etc. Not that you can ever make it impossible, but every layer of difficulty or barrier one adds to applying these types of mods, decreases the number of users tempted and willing to take the risks.

Man I hope GT either lets you play all tracks and cars online off the bat or you could download gamesaves to unlock the tracks and cars so that you don't have to play singleplayer much if you mainly want to get into online racing right away.

That goes for all racing games.

All kinds of games for that matter.

It would suck if you couldn't access levels and weapons in Resistance online until you finished the single player game or had to unlock a lot of stuff first.

Seems to me this is something Sony probably overlooked. I can't imagine any console company would really have an issue with users exchanging game saves. But, the problem historically has been that the save files themselves have been modified to allow some hack or exploit, ie. booting unsigned code, hijacking, online cheating, etc. Not that you can ever make it impossible, but every layer of difficulty or barrier one adds to applying these types of mods, decreases the number of users tempted and willing to take the risks.

PC Games have had this ability since the dawn of time. I have not heard even one instance of a significant hack or exploit resulting from a save game.

It's not like these save games are going to magically spread around like viruses. Your friends have to send them to you. And you can't send save games via the PS3 messaging system right now.
1. You have to copy them over to a flash device
2. Take them over to your PC
3. Email them to a freind or post it on the internet
4. Then someone downloads it, copies it to his SDcard or USB device
5. Transfers the files over to his PS3
6. Then chooses to overwrite his existing save game on the HD.

This is not a process that is going to "accidentally happen" or something that will happen without you being aware of what you are doing.

In online games where you have your own personal stats actually mean something, your data would be saved server side and not client side as a save game.

PC Games have had this ability since the dawn of time. I have not heard even one instance of a significant hack or exploit resulting from a save game.

i believe some "trainers" (infinite cash, all weapons, etc) exploit saved games, probably not much of a problem nowadays though

Has running unsigned code ever been an issue on PC's?

I didn't mean to imply they would spread accidentally. But if a game save appeared on the internet that gave the player some advantage in online "Resistance: Fall of Man" for example, and all the person needed to try it was a CF/SD card reader on their PC, then surely many folks would probably give it a go. Compared to actually having to go out and buy special cables or adapters, and installing the supporting software/patchers, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
RidgeRacer7 auto saves your save game on the PSNetwork by default. Even if you go to another machine and login with the same account you should have the same position.

I reformated the HD in my system. But when I went back into the game I was still where I left off. That was very cool. Who needs memory cards when everything is tied to your account name!

Also ghost replays for global time attacks are stored on the network.

There is also the option to save your game to disk or flash media. Probably for the poor suckers who don't have an internet connection. I don't know if other people can load it.

I expect the GT game to have a similar system or a better one.

Cool ! I didn't know that. Probably should post in the RR thread. Is RR7 any good ? Just came back from Xmas shopping and I was really tempted to buy it.

Has running unsigned code ever been an issue on PC's?

I didn't mean to imply they would spread accidentally. But if a game save appeared on the internet that gave the player some advantage in online "Resistance: Fall of Man" for example, and all the person needed to try it was a CF/SD card reader on their PC, then surely many folks would probably give it a go. Compared to actually having to go out and buy special cables or adapters, and installing the supporting software/patchers, etc.

PC games don't run signed code. That is why piracy is rampant.

And any online game that can be exploited with just a save game has a serious design flaw and this level of incompetence implies a game is not worth playing in the first place. Usually you would have to replace actual game binaries to achive a hack or used hacked drivers etc.

In Resistance as you gain it's version of "achivements" you unlock some additional outfits and models to use in MP. Loading someone elses save game would probably give you access to everything without playing hours and hours of the game. But that is really just cheating yourself. And its not a gameplay balance issue.

You can't have more than one game save for a given game on the HDD at a time?

At least for Resistance, it's one save game per user profile.

The save game has all your stats and achivements etc. It's not like a save game on a PC fps that just saves your location on a particular map and your weapon load out. Once you have passed certain checkpoints, you can always reload from those checkpoints.

Cool ! I didn't know that. Probably should post in the RR thread. Is RR7 any good ? Just came back from Xmas shopping and I was really tempted to buy it.

Actually I should double check the network save thing later when I get home. I don't want people deleting save games based on my impression. And I can't seem to find confirmation on this feature anywhere else. It would seem like a no-brainer though for it to work though.

The game itself is probably worth an extra point if you have a 1080p TV. But is only about as good as other reviewers have said it is. It's very arcadish and car handling is not based on reality. But it is fun and managed to hold my interest for a couple week. I beat the GrandPrix and then there are additional battles you unlock. But after a while the game gets frustratingly hard (losing races over and over not so fun) so I have not played it recently. You can download and watch replays from other gamers time attacks. But watching replays of the top racers is kind of depressing... because I know I will never be that good. :(

Hmm... if I were Sony marketing, I would observe it for a while. It's incomplete/clumsy enough for people to still want their own games. The dynamics is not exactly clear yet.

Back