Game saves sharing apparently easy to do on PS3

wco81

Legend
Supposedly you can copy the game saves to a USB memory stick, then mount the stick on a computer and zip it and email it.

So you wouldn't need something like Action Replay or Max Drive as you did with PS2/Xbox.

I'm hoping that you can use an SD card as well or even better, download and upload files from sites like Gamefaqs using the web browser.

There is a completed Resistance game save up there, in zip form. So you should be able to download it to your computer, unzip it, copy the files to a removeable media, plug that into the PS3 and the copy it and load this save when you play Resistance.

Really useful if you can do this all the time with sports games roster files.

Better if there are firmware updates which better support game save file sharing among users. Maybe you need a zip/unzip utility or option and then the ability to use the web browser for getting and uploading files, as well as use the PN messenger to send and receive files.

I wonder how they will ensure you get only the "Entitlements" you deserve? (Stuff you archived in games, kinda like medals for posing on the net - I think Sony s gonna call them Entitlements?).
I mean if you start with a perfect save and then only need to play 1 minute to - say - finish the level others have to spend a hell of time to get through... should you actually be rewarded for that?

you think thats bad, just imagine GT5 online when someone spent months to get their car the way they wanted just to be beaten by someone that downloaded a save and already has a better car (granted you could do that before, but there was no online play...it would be fine if the game saves were linked to a certain ps3 account when playing online, while letting you play it on any ps3 offline...dont know if the 360 is the same way, never really bothered to try)

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it a bad thing to have the capability? Sure some may abuse it but the idea is to have the tool.

Plus if the person has to win dishonestly, who really cares?

Do you say that for instance file sharing technology is inherently bad because it can be used to steal copyrighted content?

Or that a car is bad because it can go faster than the speed limit or it can kill people?

Yes... it's a good thing to share game saves. In fact, it is possible to build a community around it... together with Sony's other game sharing features. We'll have to wait for Sony to come around for an official one though. Not sure how long that will take. :LOL:

same thing can be done on 360 and people have been using them for things like Roster fixes updates and such. It's a pretty cool feature.

I believe however, that 360 has security in place that disallows user saves from a different LIVE profile (which all saved games are tied to) from being abused in online games on XBLive (which is a good thing IMO).

I despise people trying to win on Live by cheating.

Well there are some uses which no company can really sanction or enable. One example would be someone putting in names of players in EA's NCAA Football or Konami's Winning Eleven soccer.

People have been sharing those rosters for the PS2 and Xbox but no company has facilitated that or hosted such files because they'd probably be liable to copyright infringement suit.

So really, between users is the only way in these instances.

Not something that a ton of people will utilize.

Just nice that you don't have to buy these dodgy peripherals.

same thing can be done on 360 and people have been using them for things like Roster fixes updates and such. It's a pretty cool feature.

I believe however, that 360 has security in place that disallows user saves from a different LIVE profile (which all saved games are tied to) from being abused in online games on XBLive (which is a good thing IMO).

I despise people trying to win on Live by cheating.

PSP also allows people to share game saves. But the complete package should probably include some sort of game sharing feature... something like this: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/20/ps3-drm-downloads-support-five-systems/
or better.

Then there is the free online game aspect to complete the sharing option. Not all game shares are bad.

EDIT:
As I have mentioned before, there are many ways to design and build a community. Even if the basic/raw features are the same, the outcome can be very different (Like Wii vs Xbox Live vs PS Network today). I have no idea where Sony wants to take PSN though.

I have not checked that out yet. I also don't know how that plays against registering multiple Playstation Network accounts (since it's free).

I'm guessing the developers probably will have control if certain form of sharing does not make sense, or when situations allow sharing (e.g, over private servers only ?). Sony has all the answers I hope, since they introduced the features.

EDIT: Ok, I see that Xbox 360 still require action replay like the rest.

Perhaps this is tied to their user-created content stuff. We'll find out more in due time.

is the save tied to your PSN name as they are tied to your XBL GT on 360 to prevent misuse online??

In resistance for example. Your rankings and PS ID are tied to sony servers so theirs no way that information gets on your game saves. So all those skins you unlocked online cannot be transfered if you transfer your resistance game save. On the SP side, all your SP content will be carried over and be unlocked as you expect when you exchange saves.

I have not checked that out yet. I also don't know how that plays against registering multiple Playstation Network accounts (since it's free).

ahhh, good point. well X360 Silver Live accounts are free also (you can download XBL arcade and demos and movies and chat and message etc), but not many people are going to create multiple Gold accounts at $50 a pop (although lots of Halo2 cheaters did just that) for online play as they might for PSN ($0). :LOL:

Also, the question this point raises for me is how do you ban modders or cheaters from online games on PSN?

The multiple accounts thing becomes dodgey on Live because of the cost noted above, but on PSN if people are found to b cheating and booted from a server (banned) can they then just at will create a new users account and start over with the cheating?

this is one of the features of a pay system that keeps me from minding the $1/week. ;)

In resistance for example. Your rankings and PS ID are tied to sony servers so theirs no way that information gets on your game saves. So all those skins you unlocked online cannot be transfered if you transfer your resistance game save. On the SP side, all your SP content will be carried over and be unlocked as you expect when you exchange saves.

thanks BB

How is it a bad thing to have the capability? Sure some may abuse it but the idea is to have the tool.
Im not against it (how could I), but there seem to be a conflict with those elaborate online-ranking systems which take in account what you archived in SP/Offline.
If a developer takes this seriously, he could possibly "sign" the saves, so they dont work on other consoles/identities. Or work, but you dont get any credit for archiving stuff.

Say there is a Entitlement "beaten Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy". I never managed or even tried that, but if Id DL a save which has a insanely leveled party I probably would do it.
Theres nothing wrong with having the choice, but I shouldnt be able to gain that Entitlement the cheap way. Not that I have a clue what Sony plans with Entitlements, but if its like I guessed and you can cheat your way towards them with saves, then nobody would give a damn about them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the question this point raises for me is how do you ban modders or cheaters from online games on PSN?

I supposed there is a serial number or MAC for each PS3 ? Or you can ban the master account ? There are also stats accumulated for an account, so losing that (or unable to use) may be a pain.

There will always be ways and incentives to cheat on a "public" server. But Resistance MP has been good fun so far.

With the open and free approach, you should be able to set up private servers too (Now I forgot the name of that game). Again, there are many ways to do it.

Im not against it (how could I), but there seem to be a conflict with those elaborate online-ranking systems which take in account what you archived in SP/Offline.
If a developer takes this seriously, he could possibly "sign" the saves, so they dont work on other consoles/identities. Or work, but you dont get any credit for archiving stuff.

If possible, it probably make more sense to sign it "using" the account ID. That way, I can play my game on my friend's machine.

I supposed there is a serial number or MAC for each PS3 ? Or you can ban the master account ? There are also stats accumulated for an account, so losing that (or unable to use) may be a pain.

There will always be ways and incentives to cheat on a "public" server. But Resistance MP has been good fun so far.

With the open and free approach, you should be able to set up private servers too (Now I forgot the name of that game). Again, there are many ways to do it.

well I didn't mean "Servers" in the PC sense as most live games are run P2P on private servers but XBLive can ban users from the service based on the GT or individual games can also disallow users from any online match of that game if a person is found to be cheating (for example).

I'd like to see how they approach it with multiple user accounts. If they can just create a new PSN name then it would impossible to stop them and no penalty ($) to prevent them as well.

Halo2 and Bungie are well documented for their banning of cheaters from any Halo games. :D

I'd like to see how they approach it with multiple user accounts. If they can just create a new PSN name then it would impossible to stop them and no penalty ($) to prevent them as well.

I wouldn't say impossible. If he's a nuisance or modded his PS3, you can always ban based on IP, MAC or any unique serial number. It's engineering.

Still... free Resistance MP is all good so far. Sony has to monitor the situation and evolves. I don't think it's a big deal (yet ?).

I wouldn't say impossible. If he's a nuisance or modded his PS3, you can always ban based on IP, MAC or any unique serial number. It's engineering.

right, but have you read anywhere that the netcode of all games on the PSN are able to distinguish that info from each user?

I would think that would need to be coded specifically for each game based on the way that the PSN's online play is engineered on a per game basis and not integrated completely( ie voice chat and friends lists).

Even XBL's more integrated system still blocks users by Gamertag and not IPs afaik.

edit:
Still... free Resistance MP is all good so far. Sony has to monitor the situation and evolves. I don't think it's a big deal (yet ?).

agreed but I think over time my concerns will be more evident. this is MS's 2nd generation online gaming system and 5 years in practice. Hopefully sony learned from them as well and realize their importance. these things are known issues and need to be addressed for a rich persistent online experience. IMO.

for example 360 version of Live is 10 x what Xbox1's was with regard to working out many of the pitfalls. IMO

Back