PlayStation 4 firmware updates (and Betas)

Does code specifically target the CUs?? I thought that was the job of the ACEs. Is there one set of ACEs covering both sets of CUs as one continuous resource, or are there two ACEs that devs have to write to? In my head either the GPU is just one resource that has workloads distributed automagically, in which case there should be no issue using the extra CUs, or it's two in which case it shouldn't be possible without Pro optimisations. :???:

Does code specifically target the CUs?? I thought that was the job of the ACEs. Is there one set of ACEs covering both sets of CUs as one continuous resource, or are there two ACEs that devs have to write to? In my head either the GPU is just one resource that has workloads distributed automagically, in which case there should be no issue using the extra CUs, or it's two in which case it shouldn't be possible without Pro optimisations. :???:
Without being a game developer (so I actually don't know how the PS4 handles it in practice), I remember there was some talk back in 2013 about the possibility that the developer could be able to somehow override the "automagical" distribution or restrict/control it in some fashion. If more reproducible lower latencies are a strict requirement for instance, one could restrict the normal graphics shader to a subset of the CUs (let's say 14 of the 18) and 4 CUs would be reserved for some specific compute queue and not used otherwise. If this is indeed possible (no idea really, but it appears feasible as the distribution can likely also be influenced/biased by the driver on the PC to tune for the specific requirements of a game), a game which uses such a static partion of the GPU could be limited to use only 18 CUs (at least if one can really allocate a specific numbers of CUs to a task and not fractions of the GPU, as a more scalable approach may attempt). I would think that for most cases one should let the automatic distribution do its thing, but I have no clue how common are cases where some manual reservation could make sense (which lowers latency for the task and increases predictability of execution time but reduces overall performance of course).
But it is just a try to make sense out of that statement. Maybe some PS4 developer can say something more concrete.

Last edited:

Maybe if you know exactly what you want each CU to be doing then you can save a millisecond or two by going around the ACEs.

Btw where do you post bug reports?

My Psvr processing unit won't turn off automatically. Need to hold power for couple of seconds

Btw where do you post bug reports?

My Psvr processing unit won't turn off automatically. Need to hold power for couple of seconds

Your local Playstation Community Forums have beta areas which you should have access to, check the email you got with your access code.
For EU its -> http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/English-Forums/ct-p/55 , I think the closed forums will only show if you are a registered beta user and are logged in on the forum.

No joy. Oh well, betas usually become releases pretty quickly and I don't have much time for games at the moment. I'm buying leeway for March when HZD and Zelda launch in the same week. I can sneakily hide my Zelda play but can't hide my HZD play.

There was a post on the system software beta forum, that more should have had the fw activated and people should check the fw update menu on their PS4.

This makes me think the PS4 dev kit has specs closer to PS4 pro...

That means most do not care about their final game then, since they just made it for another "platform" and released on stock PS4 without checking the performance.
In my mind its more plausible it's about compromises, do we turn off this feature/effect and stay at 30/60 fps or keep it on and drop a frames in places.
I think its the last one, look at Insominac, they went with 30fps instead of 60 fps in the PS3 area, to have more eyecandy.

Has someone tested 4-player split-screen Rocket League with boost mode?

External HDD support comes tomorrow. Anyone know if you can manage games and so copy them across from internal to external and back? Would make running an SSD much more economical as you could make do with a small one. Realised this morning that my PC boots way faster than my console, and that's plain wrong!

External HDD support comes tomorrow. Anyone know if you can manage games and so copy them across from internal to external and back? Would make running an SSD much more economical as you could make do with a small one. Realised this morning that my PC boots way faster than my console, and that's plain wrong!

Yes, back and forth as much as you like and minimum size is 250GB. The only downside I've found is that whilst plugged in it seems to be the default HDD so anything you download goes to the external (I assume once full it would then go to internal?). Also worth noting it's just for games, all video/picture saves (etc) still use internal HDD.

250 GB minimum? Oh. A 120 would have sufficed with low use and decent management. That's asking £90 instead of £50 for an upgrade.

250 GB minimum? Oh. A 120 would have sufficed with low use and decent management. That's asking £90 instead of £50 for an upgrade.

Yeah, I had a spare 60GB for my daughter but was no use - might be the full f/w isn't so limited?

Also worth mentioning it wouldn't let me install on both (say you left your external HDD somewhere) - actually there may be a work around - delete the icon form your PS4 and re-download.

Look forward to trying the BluRay 3D in VR! And will be interesting to see if they indeed made other improvements when showing video (apparently frame rate went up among others)

Back