Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

expletive said:
I guess it depends what country youre talking about. In the US, the best source of HD content is cable or satellite with HD. Most people want to watch the NFL, Lost, 24, or American Idol in HD, not play Fight Night. I dont know about other countries where HD content may be more difficult to come by but in the US, quite bit is available to a lot of people.

I watch NFL, Lost and 24 in HD but not AI.

I was referring to Blu-Ray movies.

You can debate whether movies are better or some good TV shows or sports.

What you can't debate is that the image quality and sound of the Blu-Ray movies will be superior to image quality and sound on any broadcasted content.

DemoCoder said:
It's an A/V multiport. You don't know if the HDMI signals are there or not. If not, then an external dongle would be required, and hence you run into AACS issues.

ok, thanks

scooby_dooby said:
I've seen the pic, but what good reason is there to believe sony will not have an HDMI cable that can plugs into the multi-AV out?

Of course they will. It's a potential revenue source, and a means to recoup some initial hardware losses. I would be absolutely shocked if you can't buy an HDMI cable for the $500 ps3. THe $600 model just has an 'extra' HDMI port, or..at least that's my theory.

It's a possibility -- one can only hope Sony thought ahead enough to add that kind of support to the A/V jack. X360's port seems to be able to handle all kinds of signals, so it's definitely possible.

Would likely be a "cheap" way for Sony to cut a slot but keep support and probably make money on cables.

Bobbler said:
It's a possibility -- one can only hope Sony thought ahead enough to add that kind of support to the A/V jack. X360's port seems to be able to handle all kinds of signals, so it's definitely possible.

Would likely be a "cheap" way for Sony to cut a slot but keep support and probably make money on cables.

Xbox 360's doesn't support HDMI though, at least not so far. It supports component and VGA, which have been supported for many years by consoles.

HD-DVD add on

Tap In said:
yes, he could have just waited for the X360 HD DVD add on. ;)

I do not know what will be the price for HD-DVD add-on but it is just simple external drive and is for movie only. Probably same price as external DVD drive when external DVD drive was released.

Hdmi

expletive said:
Doesnt the Sony spec sheet SAY no HDMI for the $499?

I think this is correct and I feel this is big mistake by Sony. They should make one model with all features because real price for PS3 will not be $499 or $599 but $1000-1500 on ebay. Kutaragi is right, PS3 is too cheap.

Xbox360 price was also too cheap. Who sells $299 new console? That is why people think something is wrong with Core System and do not want to buy it. Also name is silly. Many people think "core" system is like "barebones" computer and you must install parts. This is not true but people think this.

scooby_dooby said:
I've seen the pic, but what good reason is there to believe sony will not have an HDMI cable that can plugs into the multi-AV out?

Of course they will. It's a potential revenue source, and a means to recoup some initial hardware losses. I would be absolutely shocked if you can't buy an HDMI cable for the $500 ps3. THe $600 model just has an 'extra' HDMI port, or..at least that's my theory.

I'll counter your question with one of my own.

If they do indeed plan on offering an HDMI cable for the $499 model, what good reason would they have for not mentioning that? Seems to me it's only a potential source of revenue if they sell it, and part of selling a product is telling people about it.

ihamoitc2005 said:
I think this is correct and I feel this is big mistake by Sony. They should make one model with all features because real price for PS3 will not be $499 or $599 but $1000-1500 on ebay. Kutaragi is right, PS3 is too cheap.

Xbox360 price was also too cheap. Who sells $299 new console? That is why people think something is wrong with Core System and do not want to buy it. Also name is silly. Many people think "core" system is like "barebones" computer and you must install parts. This is not true but people think this.

What?
1. Those ebay prices may get a lot of media attention, but I'd bet, at most, tens of thousands were sold at those prices.
2. Most of the jacked up prices came from in store bundles.....except that you got a couple games or maybe a tv out of the bundle, so the system cost as normal, but you had to buy other stuff too.
3. $299 was the standard console price for 2 generations, with a both nintendo consoles and 1 sega console launching at $200 during that time period.

Powderkeg said:

If they do indeed plan on offering an HDMI cable for the $499 model, what good reason would they have for not mentioning that? Seems to me it's only a potential source of revenue if they sell it, and part of selling a product is telling people about it.

To go even further, if such a universal port existed, why not just include it on both models? This would allow them to sell Sony HDMI Accessory cables to everyone instead of those consumers going out and buying generic HDMI cables.

OK, slight change of subject.

According to the EB Games across the street from my work..............

1st party games = $69.99
3rd party games = $79.99

IF this turns out to actually be true, how do you think that will effect the PS3 and Sony?

Powderkeg said:
OK, slight change of subject.

According to the EB Games across the street from my work..............

1st party games = $69.99
3rd party games = $79.99

IF this turns out to actually be true, how do you think that will effect the PS3 and Sony?

1 PS3 (only package worth having) = $599.99
1 extra controller = $59.99
1 1st part game = $69.99
1 3rd party game = $79.99
Tax (CA) 8.25%

Total = $876.78

Either Joe Consumer is OK with that or not. There will be a lot of "bad" lil boys this Christmas, If I had to bet.

My prediction:
Sony still takes Japan at these prices, since, hey, they're Sony. Only other possiblity is the Wii could turn out similar to how the DS did.
Sony still takes Europe, since Europeans are used to being price gouged, and I think traditionally Sony has been one of the few companies to take Europe seriously so they've got street cred there. Plus the European market seems fairly accepting of convergence devices.
Sony could lose America.

Sega Genesis versus SNES
The relatively unestablished versus the one with 80% of the market.
Genesis had a $10 price advantage, came out first, and had an edgy appeal. Graphical ability was close to the SNES.

Xbox 360 versus PS3
Same deal, except now it has a $200 price advantage, plus the games could be $10 to $20 cheaper.

Or it could turn out like Dreamcast
Dreamcast versus PS2
The one who had failed to take the console market against the one with market dominance.
Dreamcast came out first.
Dreamcast was $100 at the PS2's launch at $300.
Dreamcast games sold for $40 versus PS2's at $50.
Dreamcast offered superior or equal visual quality to Ps2 at the time.
Dreamcast was viewed as old hat from an unworthy competitor.
The PS2 had a lot of hype behind it, which leads to odd thought processes. The kind of thought processes that a person has when they buy a $300 Dell and then wonder why it won't run the latest games. Still, $300 seemed like a reasonable entry price for the most powerful super computer in the world combined with a dvd player, regardless of the reality.
The current situation is rather similar to dreamcast, just scaled upwards. Is the Xbox brand stronger than the Sega brand? Will people have upper limits on their spending before they decide something is 'too much' and take a look around at what else is available? Will they rationalize!?

There's no similarities at all between the Dreamcast and Sega and the Xbox and Microsoft.

If Sega had the ability to lose $20B for a ten year plan on how to invade the console market, then you'd be able to make the comparison.

And, by checking out how beloved the Dreamcast is still to this day, if Sega had that sort of plan and financial funding, they'd be releasing the Sega Infinite Perspective Box at this year's E3 (most likely running a version of Windows as its OS)

Sony does have a better brand image, just like Nintendo. I know many people who were "waiting for PS3" even before they knew what the specs were. They, like Nintendo fans, had pre-decided to buy. Sure, MS has this too, but it's a comparatively smaller percentage, especially given how much the PS/2 outsold them.

Sony has franchise exclusive content like Nintendo, that has a large following. FF, MGS, GT. MS has Halo primarily, and Halo doesn't have the reach that brands like FF, MGS, Mario, Zelda, etc have. This has a big influence on many buyers, who would otherwise go for the cheapest console. It is especially a big loss for MS in Japan.

Microsoft doesn't exactly have a slick "consumer" brand image, like Sony, Samsung, et al. Most consumer's image of MS is colored by Windows.

Sony has an uphill battle on economic factors because MS has the better production economics. But Microsoft's brand image, even in the US, isn't exactly "living room" no matter how much they try to sell you the idea that MCE PCs are invading living rooms. MS has a long way to go to convince people that they are 'cool/hip' electronics, like Apple, Nintendo, Sony, and other asian and european manufacturers.

If I had to make an analog, I'd say that MS is like Ford trying to convince buyers that their latest sports car has the same style appeal as brands from BMW or Nissan. Ford actually has made amazing strides in the last 2 decades in terms of quality and design, but people still view American car brands as pedestrian, boring.

DemoCoder said:
Sony does have a better brand image, just like Nintendo. I know many people who were "waiting for PS3" even before they knew what the specs were. They, like Nintendo fans, had pre-decided to buy. Sure, MS has this too, but it's a comparatively smaller percentage, especially given how much the PS/2 outsold them.

There was a time where nintendo was the defacto name brand too...

DemoCoder said:
Microsoft doesn't exactly have a slick "consumer" brand image, like Sony, Samsung, et al. Most consumer's image of MS is colored by Windows.

I agree but I dont think consumers have the same perception of windows that we on this board (or in technology in general) might (i.e. the negative connotation with the company).

Also, when did Samsung become 'slick'? :)

Powderkeg said:

Do you realize people used that almost same logic when MS didnb't list the powercord as included in the box? They won't have to market it as it will be hanging in the peripherals isle, and their salesmen will kindly inform them their $500 ps3 will actually cost $550 if they want to have HDMI output.

Expletive - obviously, if my guess is correct, it would be included with both models, the extra output port would be just that, extra, and the $599 version might already come with the proprietary hdmi cable. If your asking why not use 2 multi-AV outs, forcing consumers to buy 2 custom cables, well cost could be one reason, presumably a multi-AV out is more expensive than a single HDMI, a second reason could be percieved consumer backlash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back