PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info

Laa-Yosh said:
I would be very surprised to see any changes to the PS3's memory configuration at this point. RSX is completed with its memory controller, so is Cell. What's perhaps even more important is that developers have already budgeted their assets based on the specs and are well into production using those specs. Rearranging anything in the hardware would probably make nAo and Deano jump out of the window...

I'd be very surprised too, and don't see it happening, and I was also thinking of what launch title developers would do to take advantage of such a move - but it would be of benefit beyond initial titles, and with enough notice, some might take advantage of it. More memory would also presumably mean more bandwidth which could be used for the game's benefit more immediately without requiring content creation.

If they were going to make any changes, IMO, more or faster RAM would be the best upgrade. But I absolutely do not expect it - I think Sony will be aiming for max manufacturability rather than boosting spec still further.

Last edited by a moderator:
one said:
Maybe you are looking at a different thing? Deep color representation on future TVs is important for HDR in gaming, let alone higher frame rates. Besides, it's not decided if it's called HDMI 1.3.

The current spec (up through 1.2) supports 1080/60p but i did forget about the added color depths. I had thought that BR (and games as well) would only be supporting 8 bit color so i ahdnt even considered the additional video stuff. I'll see if i can dig up more info. I'm pretty sure the big win was for native HD audio stuff though.

Edge said:
I think MS is great competition, and the 360 is an awesome console, but it's going to take a lot to dislodge Sony. The main thing to stop Sony from being No. 1, would be Sony. They are doing everything well, and so the status quo will not change. They would have to screw up big time to lose their position. The PS3 looks like it will be monster of a console, and largely negate any advantage that MS may have had like the harddisk, and Live!

I agree but like Acert said that come March if PS3 have sold 6 million and 360 sales are at 12 million developers will have to take this into account and decide which is the best option for making profit.

MS have said many times that they don't plan on beating Sony in 1 or 2 generations but they plan on chipping away at their market share over a long period, i think for this generation Sony are safe as No 1, next gen will be were MS will make its move to dominate the market.

MS have been pretty clever launching a whole year in advance and having pretty much the same standard of technology in it's console. (obviously this is yet to be seen but visually i doubt there will be much difference at all).

Titanio said:
I'd be very surprised too, and don't see it happening, and I was also thinking of what launch title developers would do to take advantage of such a move - but it would be of benefit beyond initial titles, and with enough notice, some might take advantage of it. More memory would also presumably mean more bandwidth which could be used for the game's benefit more immediately without requiring content creation.

If they were going to make any changes, IMO, more or faster RAM would be the best upgrade. But I absolutely do not expect it - I think Sony will be aiming for max manufacturability rather than boosting spec still further.

Titano, I'm just quoting you for an example and this is not directed towards you.

Ya know after seeing what the XBXO 360 was capable of I was really looking forward to enjoying the PS3 in 2007 when it would be available. I am just interested in it for the games, and after attending E3 last year I knew Sony was blowing smoke about a spring release.

As Sony continues to "hide" actual in-game footage of PS3 games, and their intentionally vague PR misinformation campaign, I'm beginning to loose interest. Don't get me wrong, all of the additional functions of the PS3 are nice, but I can do the same things with guess what? A computer.

The point I'm trying to get at is yes Sony is doing a wonderful job marketing what the PS3 "will eventually be capable of at some point", but as Titano’s post and many others over the last 22 pages show, Sony has revealed nothing.

To top it off Sony has successfully side-stepped the issue of not showing games running on the PS3 with what?

A Power Point Presentation.

GDC is going to be something to behold

This tread is a mix of people really excited by the news, and people who dont support Sony just trolling and making white noise.

I think its great news as it forces Microsoft to up there game slightly.

*Looks at my post*

*Looks at zRifle1z's post*

:???: :???:

I'm not sure how you got to there from my post, but whatever keeps you happy :cool:

Titanio said:
*Looks at my post*

*Looks at zRifle1z's post*

:???: :???:

I'm not sure how you got to there from my post, but whatever keeps you happy :cool:

And that is why I said it was not directed at you along with ending with this:

The point I'm trying to get at is yes Sony is doing a wonderful job marketing what the PS3 "will eventually be capable of at some point", but as Titano’s post and many others over the last 22 pages show, Sony has revealed nothing.

My apologies if you took it the wrong way. :cool:

I still don't see the link. My post doesn't show "Sony has revealed nothing". I'm very confused. Without commenting on the validity or merit of your statements at all, I just don't see how they relate to my post. Maybe you're reading something into my posts I didn't intend, I don't know.

I don't mind your post at all, even if I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, I just don't see how it matches up as a response to my post at all! :)

zRifle1z said:
And that is why I said it was not directed at you along with ending with this:

My apologies if you took it the wrong way. :cool:

It's hard not to be confused. What exactly do you want Sony to reveal, and why should they?

zRifle1z said:
Titano, I'm just quoting you for an example and this is not directed towards you.

Ya know after seeing what the XBXO 360 was capable of I was really looking forward to enjoying the PS3 in 2007 when it would be available. I am just interested in it for the games, and after attending E3 last year I knew Sony was blowing smoke about a spring release.

As Sony continues to "hide" actual in-game footage of PS3 games, and their intentionally vague PR misinformation campaign, I'm beginning to loose interest. Don't get me wrong, all of the additional functions of the PS3 are nice, but I can do the same things with guess what? A computer.

To top it off Sony has successfully side-stepped the issue of not showing games running on the PS3 with what?

A Power Point Presentation.

GDC is going to be something to behold

This pretty much sums things up Sony haven't really said anything to get excited about, other than the piece about the HDD and we still have no concrete evidence what this actually means.

The first 4-5 pages of this thread were as if something huge had been announced yet we are no clearer than we were last week.

Yes the PS3 is coming in November(fall) which has been speculated for a while now.

Sony haven't answered anything, they have simply put more questions out there and brought the PS3 back into the News.

You have to love how they managed to make something out of nothing though.

This tread is a mix of people really excited by the news, and people who dont support Sony just trolling and making white noise.

I think its great news as it forces Microsoft to up there game slightly.

What news and what exactly are MS supposed to up their game in regards to ?

GB123 said:
Yes the PS3 is coming in November(fall) which has been speculated for a while now.

I doubt anyone was speculating a Nov worldwide launch. And there is a BIG difference between speculation amongst the likes of us and analysts, and actually hearing something from Sony. There was plenty of news from this conference, I'm sure we don't have to list it all out AGAIN, do we?

GB123 said:
This pretty much sums things up Sony haven't really said anything to get excited about, other than the piece about the HDD and we still have no concrete evidence what this actually means.

Do we care if you got titillated by the information? One has a summary of the details on the first page, perhaps it may be of use to you?

Titanio said:
I still don't see the link. My post doesn't show "Sony has revealed nothing". I'm very confused. Without commenting on the validity or merit of your statements at all, I just don't see how they relate to my post. Maybe you're reading something into my posts I didn't intend, I don't know.

I don't mind your post at all, even if I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, I just don't see how it matches up as a response to my post at all! :)

Again, it was not actually a response to your post.

zRifle1z said:
:cool:

Games bro!! Games!!

Why???

Because the PS3 is also a game machine.

You are not the indended audience, and game specifics were not an intended content of the presentation. Perhaps you were waiting for the wrong conference?

zRifle1z said:
:cool:

Games bro!! Games!!

Why???

Because the PS3 is also a game machine.

This was a strategy meeting, not even intended for public consumption initially. They weren't going to hastily ask partners for material or to present games, at the last minute, just because they suddenly decided to invite journalists. Eye candy was not to be expected at this.

zRifle1z said:
Again, it was not actually a response to your post.

That's cool. I'd suggest this:

reply.gif

rather than this:

quote.gif

then, otherwise it's just a tad confusing ;)

onanie said:
You are not the indended audience, and game specifics were not an intended content of the presentation. Perhaps you were waiting for the wrong conference?

Actually I've been waiting for several conferences, but as you stated I'm "not the indended audience" and have not been for going on almost a year now.

Titanio said:
I doubt anyone was speculating a Nov worldwide launch. And there is a BIG difference between speculation amongst the likes of us and analysts, and actually hearing something from Sony. There was plenty of news from this conference, I'm sure we don't have to list it all out AGAIN, do we?

There was conformation not news.. as far as i see it at least.(news to me is something new)

I must admit that i didn't expect a WW launch in novemeber, although i did expect a US launch in November.

I expected the PS3 to play PS1 and PS2 games, I didn't expect sony to say to dev's that they should develop for the HDD as standard (but this doesn't really change much, how many xbox games used the HDD for anything other than cacheing)

I don't need the news to be listed to me again because i have read the whole 20 something pages of this thread but i still don't get what there is to be excited over.

If you go back to the first few pages and people saying perhaps Sony will do a better job at the WW launch than MS did, its kind of annoying seeing as Sony can learn from MS's mistakes.

The same people that a few weeks ago said that MS were stupid to try a WW launch are now saying its great because Sony are doing it, i mean COME ON !!..

Games have been shown, whether you take them at face value or not. If you don't, E3 is right around the corner.

GB123 said:
There was conformation not news.. as far as i see it at least.(news to me is something new)

I guess you have a great crystal ball. For the rest of us, there was news, and or even just "confirmations" to get excited about. And not just on the PS3 side, but also quite a lot on the PSP side (PSone emulation ftw!!). For example, one might have speculated prior to Wednesday that Sony might include Linux on PS3 hard disks, but held themselves back from getting excited about it, lest they be disappointed. But now we have confirmation, and can get excited about such things. See how it works? Confirmation makes all the difference, it takes you out of the realm of the speculative and gives you something solid to work with.

zRifle1z said:
Actually I've been waiting for several conferences, but as you stated I'm "not the indended audience" and have not been for going on almost a year now.

LOL and you demand that Sony release this information? Nothing has stopped you from retaining such an "interest" in the PS3 console, so whatever they've been doing, it was working.

Back