Official GT5 discussion thread

I didnt play f4 so cant comment on that but even in spec2.0 the AI is still pretty lame I think. The AI still pretty much sticks to a single line all the time. You can see that in the video too. The cars take pretty much exactly the same line each time. Especially the GTR and F40. Seems the biggest difference with f4 is that the ''evasion script'' in GT5 is better.

You know why? Because optimal line is important in making good times, its not because AI is stupid, its because they should race that way. Watch some F1 and see their lines there :)

I didnt play f4 so cant comment on that but even in spec2.0 the AI is still pretty lame I think. The AI still pretty much sticks to a single line all the time. You can see that in the video too. The cars take pretty much exactly the same line each time. Especially the GTR and F40. Seems the biggest difference with f4 is that the ''evasion script'' in GT5 is better.

There is always an optimal "line" which professional drivers try to follow in order to achieve the best lap possible

I have the opposite problem... I have too much money. PD need to get rid of the 20m cap.

You should send me your monies please. Also what is up with the lack of cool cars in this game? I don't care about effing Daihatsu's and old Fiat's and Lotuses. Give me freaking F1 cars and the badass Group C cars. How come their online dealership just sucks? Why is it so damn difficult for the game to reward you with nice cars?! Who the fuck cares about a Kubbelwaggen or whatever or a Ford F150 or a Toyota Yaris??!?! I hate grinding in this game. Thank god for the 200% points/money boost. The game is a bit bearable at least for my B spec drivers to gain their experience so then I can have 4 x 30 lvl drivers who can go and do the endurance races.

Speaking of cars they need to seriously launch some 2011/2012 hell even 2010 cars and no the ridiculous Red Bull X1 does not count. I am talking Ferrari FF, Lamborghini Aventador, Aston Martin DBS, V12 Vantage, the Aston Matin LMP racer, Gumpert Apollo, Ascari A10, Koeniggsegg etc.

I hope PD readies some Car pack with 2011 models. Thats one area that lacks behind F4 since it came a year earlier.

suryad said:
You should send me your monies please. Also what is up with the lack of cool cars in this game? I don't care about effing Daihatsu's and old Fiat's and Lotuses. Give me freaking F1 cars and the badass Group C cars. How come their online dealership just sucks? Why is it so damn difficult for the game to reward you with nice cars?! Who the fuck cares about a Kubbelwaggen or whatever or a Ford F150 or a Toyota Yaris??!?! I hate grinding in this game. Thank god for the 200% points/money boost. The game is a bit bearable at least for my B spec drivers to gain their experience so then I can have 4 x 30 lvl drivers who can go and do the endurance races.

Speaking of cars they need to seriously launch some 2011/2012 hell even 2010 cars and no the ridiculous Red Bull X1 does not count. I am talking Ferrari FF, Lamborghini Aventador, Aston Martin DBS, V12 Vantage, the Aston Matin LMP racer, Gumpert Apollo, Ascari A10, Koeniggsegg etc.

You can avoid a lot of grinding by doing the special events and the online events. Both give a lot more money than the A and B spec ever do. I've not had to grind even without the online events thanks to special events. You hardly ever need to buy a car, just win whatever you need by planning your races using an online guide to what races win you which car.

I've said it a few times myself, the game needs 2011/2012 models. Right now I am worried that because they take so much time modeling them they keep them for GT6, but I hope so many people bought the full pack that they realize releasing tracks and cars as DLC like this pays off.

Yeah I did about 70% of the online events so far but I am in need of a steering wheel bad! I can't control these uber powered cars I bought like the Group C cars with the sixaxis esp with abs at 1 and tc turned off! Even then the cars are like 4-5 million a pop to buy and I have a 100+ car garage but it took a lot of grinding to get there. And I am lvl 30 in A spec and B spec I am lvl 31 but my drivers are 29, 28, 21 and 7 in terms of levels right now. I am building a 4 man team to do the endurance races and get whatever those cars unlock too. Takes time and grinding once again. Basically I am trying to sort of 'beat' the game :)

Is it really Nesh, or are you just imagining? :oops:

It was 5am... give me a break! :)

Anyway, it was the same member that uploaded the other one. He has a few of them apparently.

The Formula GT online event races are a lot of fun, and cockpit view looks great! Also, have the cockpit shadows improved again? They look very good in 1080p mode. In general I'm (re)discovering that 1080p mode looks much much better on my PC LCD.

After having spent a week with a certain other racing game, I'm finding GT5 still to be the clear winner in many areas, almost surprisingly so. This game has just so much more depth in so many ways. And with so many of its initial shortcomings now fixed, its again a timeless classic. Of course there is a lot that could still be better (framerate, more modern cars, car sounds and an autolog system would be nice), but it looks and drives phenomenally, car models are still second to none (I noticed some great details, like the Zonda R having non-reflective 'shark-skin' for part of its body), and there are so many fun things to do.

One crucial element here is that each combination of car and track is a unique experience, which is surprisingly not the case in some other games.

Yes GT5 actually looks better on my monitor than my TV in 1080p. The shader aliases are much less noticeable. It's the most distracting artifacts last time. In Spec 2, I feel that visuals has been tightened again.

Physics has also improved. UI flow is shorter.

The only thing is I believe, after a year, people want more tracks and cars now. ^_^

I think they may also benefit from grouping all the races according to player type.

Forgot to mention that I also tried the new indoor Kart track, which is very good! I think I'll try that one online for a bit soon, as I can imagine that being a hoot.

EDIT: gratitious awesomeness:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=227775

The november issue of Wheels magazine (Australia) takes an Audi R8 V10 to Laguna Seca, both in GT5 and in reality. I wrote the article. Okay, not a new idea, it's been done in magazines and top gear tv before but not with GT5. And anyway who wouldn't grab the chance to have an Audi R8 and Laguna Seca all to yourself for four hours?

The idea was to see how closely GT5 replicates reality, in all aspects. I also wanted to see if I could mirror my GT5 times, but I placed a few restrictions on my Virtual Laps.

1. Comfort medium tyres. According to Digital Polyphony, these most closely replicate the grip characteristics of the real car's road tyres.
2. No crashing. My Virtual session ends when I hit a wall, just like it would in the real world. That made it really hard to set good lap times straight away - after months playing on racing slicks the CMs grip like ice on oil.
3. When the road car's brake pads wear, my real world session is over.

There is a Vimeo video in the link.

Back