Rant: Console store employees!

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
I am making this thread for entertainment purposes where we share our experiences with incompetent employees in game stores that dont know their products, spread crap out of their mouths and try to impose their personal opinion onto an innocent consumer who only wants to play games.

Here is a story I encountered recently. I often go to a game store for some "eye shopping" and chat a bit usually with some employee.

So there is that chubby short girl employee there (who is an XBOX fanatic). She is kind of crazy, fan to talk to and I chuckle everytime she tries to show off how XBOX is the ultimate console. Well she was showing me a few games on offer, and one of those games was Castlevania on the 360.

I asked her "do you have the offer for PS3? I prefer to have it on a single blu ray disk instead on 2 disks that I will have to swap"

Oh my God why did I ask that question? The other XBOX fanatic employee heard me, got offended for wanting the PS3 version, he gets angry and starts to make fun of me! "You want the PS3 version? How can you want it? The 360 games all run at 1080p whereas on the PS3 its just 720p. DO YOU WANT WORSE GRAPHICS?"

"Dude they are both running their games on the same resolution, the resolution on the 360 box mentions all upscale modes regardless of the game's native resolution. The difference is that the 360 renders it to 720p and upscales it to 1080p ny itself and the PS3 renders it at 720p and your TV upscales it instead of the console"

Why on earth did I want to use "scientific" language they couldnt understand? They were both making fun of me. The guy was telling the girl sarcastically "just tell him yes" "yes yes" "Then why do 360 games look better eh?"

"Its not the God damn resolution running 720p om PS3 and 1080p on the 360. The difference is insignificant in most cases and in the few cases where the 360 version looks better its usually other stuff that contribute to the image quality! Go to Digital Foundry or some proper forum to get your information"

"IF YOU DONT LIKE YOUR XBOX WHY DONT YOU SELL IT"

"I like both! Why should I sell it?"

I realized it was simply impossible to make a logical discussion with those two guys. After a while they both went back to the game shelf and were discussing, the guy was infuriated and talking about me.

He comes back and tells me "There are no good games on the PS3! Only Uncharted and maybe God of War and DONT tell me you liked Gran Turismo"

"Ofcourse I did" I said and he started laughing.

"Yeah have you tried to play the game at 1080p? The car goes too slow. It barely moves. And in 720p it moves normally"

Obviously I had no idea what he was talking about since I own the game and this has not been reported anywhere. So I asked him why on earth does he think that happens?
"Well its because its Blu Ray maybe and when it's 1080p the graphics data are big because they are 1080p and it cant read them fast enough from the disk to keep up with the speed of the car, so it reads it slower and the car moves slower"
He wasnt referring to data streaming or the Blu Ray drive speed mind you. He was thinking that the console reads the graphics just as it reads a 1080p Blu Ray movie. :LOL: :LOL:

My face gesture changed to that of a face in Picasso's Guernica. "Do you have a clue about the way the products you sell work?"

Anyway they were doing the most stupid comparisons ever to prove their point. Like comparing the speed of Blur with Gran Turismo 5 etc
How on earth can these people work in a game store where they sell all kind's of consoles when they dont know the products they are selling and they sabotage a product in favor for the one they like?

I saw many times a poor consumer who doesnt understand a word about hardware (like a 45 year old dad or a mom or some kid), that only wants to play games and they start to bombard them with technical stuff or features that the average joe doesnt understand or care about. The consumer makes confused faces trying to understand stuff they werent expecting to hear. Not that the employees know half of the stuff they are talking about.

Isn't that the same in any store, like PC World? Things like a Mac fan telling a potential shopper that the Russian antivirus companies on PC like Kaspersky actually write the viruses in the first place. CE devices seem to suffer more as there's plenty of technical jargon for people to confuse. Personally i haven't any game store anecdotes as I buy everything online. ;)

I should start going to tech stores more often instead of ordering stuff online. I used to like putting the salespeople to WTF mode by asking them technical questions.

I dont go to videogame stores (In fact I can say Ive never even been into one in my life), Ive seen a few gamestops IIRC thats what theyre called, but never entered.
Perhaps they get a higher commission if they sell you product X instead of product Y, or theyve overstocked in product Y so will try to steer you towards that

Trying to speak intelligently with the basement dwellers that work in places like Gamestop is not a good idea. You're better off talking physics with a dog.

I've experienced that in all stores when asking for comparison on tech products to include MP3 players, computers, TVs, consoles, etc.

As a consumer, the best thing to do is to do your own research. The amount of misinformation at stores is appalling, even more so when you you'd expect a higher level of technical knowledge at specialty stores.

My own anecdotal evidence goes back a dog's age or two at the launch of the original PSX. I was deciding between getting a Saturn and a PSX. On the PSX launch day, a Sony rep, tried to convince me that the CPU in the Saturn was taken from chips used in vacuums cleaners. I ended up getting both, but the outright gall was shocking.

I tend to know more than the employees I deal with. No questions, case solved. They're just there to man the cash register as far as I'm concerned. I love walking into the local CompUSA, where there are too many employees and all the employees circle like vultures around the front door, desperate for commission (I think they work on that basis). I just tell them I'm looking and go about my business.

Store employees are generally speaking not knowledgeable on the products they sell.

@Nesh: you should have heard the gamestore store employees when the DC launched! The PS2 hype was astoundingly mind-numbing.

At least now, the hype is based somewhat in reality. Xbox360 games generally look better. As to why, the idiots at gamestores haven't a clue, but at least they aren't hyping a machine which is producing inferior results... anyone ever see DOA running side by side on a DC and a PS2? :LOL:

Store employees are generally speaking not knowledgeable on the products they sell.

@Nesh: you should have heard the gamestore store employees when the DC launched! The PS2 hype was astoundingly mind-numbing.

At least now, the hype is based somewhat in reality. Xbox360 games generally look better. As to why, the idiots at gamestores haven't a clue, but at least they aren't hyping a machine which is producing inferior results... anyone ever see DOA running side by side on a DC and a PS2? :LOL:

Castlevania Lord of Shadows was a silly battleground, though. That's one of the multiplatform games that is inarguably better on ps3.

Castlevania Lord of Shadows was a silly battleground, though. That's one of the multiplatform games that is inarguably better on ps3.

Yes they are idiots. The Point on GT5 was also foolish. He could have went on about the lack of track detail or the online component, but to say the "car goes slower at 1080p" just proves the point they are idiots (for the most part).

Heh, I remember a similar story on GAF (Or was it here ?). The poster was mocked by the GameStop employees when he showed up to pick up a PS3 game. ^_^

Should just report to corporate GameStop if you are really unhappy about the incident.

I should start going to tech stores more often instead of ordering stuff online. I used to like putting the salespeople to WTF mode by asking them technical questions.

[Stroke chin]

May be I should try that sometimes ! But my Gamestop people here are ok.

Trying to speak intelligently with the basement dwellers that work in places like Gamestop is not a good idea. You're better off talking physics with a dog.
I haven't tried it with a dog but cat just looked me weird. The clerks did as well but the cat didn't make me laugh with it's stupidity.

Though about 10 years ago when I sill lived in a small town of just 10k people I often visited the local computer shop and soon when the sales person saw me he simply told me if their local geek that repaired computers was there or not for me to ask advice. If he wasn't I had nothing useful to do there.

So that's why all the people beat me in Gran Turisimo - they drive at lower resolution..
I've gotta only have 480p enabled next time.

Maybe I don't have to practice to get into GT-academy and get to drive real race-cars, just drop the resolution, awesome. :)

In the same store they sell TVs too

So there was a LED Samsung 55" 1080p TV and a LED Sony 46'' 1080p TV and the Sony was significantly more expensive.
I asked the guy what was in the Sony TV that made it more expensive considering the specs looked similar but it was smaller? Well I didnt quite get the answer I was expecting.
He begun by saying that the Sony is a new Sony range. Then the final explanation was that Sony TV is 200Hz but the Samsung also says 200Hz but it is actually 100Hz. Cant say I was satisfied with the explanation.
:p

Oh btw is there a Face Off between the two versions of Fifa 12? I am curious if those guys were lying. They told me that they compared both versions on the same TV and the PS3 version sucked. It looked blurry, the colors were bad, it was slow and choppy.
I am not a particular sports game fan so I wouldnt know. What did they use for the PS3? Composite? :p

Those guys are starting to become kind of amusing with their comments. I go often just to listen what other funny stuff I d hear.

... the colors were bad...

:LOL:

Wow! That is an awesome response!!!

:LOL:

Granted the gamma on ps3 is different which some might interpret as having a "washed out" look, but it actually brings out shadow detail that is many times lost on xb360.

That's a great one though! "The colors were bad"! LMAO!

It's the knuckle dragging troglodytes that infest gaming stores like some post apocalyptic rednecks looking to bling up their goat shagging skills that put me off forever. I get everything online now.

So that's why all the people beat me in Gran Turisimo - they drive at lower resolution..
I've gotta only have 480p enabled next time.

Maybe I don't have to practice to get into GT-academy and get to drive real race-cars, just drop the resolution, awesome. :)

480i FTW! ;)

seems even in different country, there will always be a annoyong console store emplyees. on my coutnry i got weird event in big game store called "Level Up" (LU) in my town.

--- beware, bad english ---

Happends when i come there to buy Xbox 360 Jasper Arcade because my Falcon has died RROD. Then another customer come. He is a father (F) buying xbox for him and his kids.

It goes something like this

F: I heard there xbox jtag that let me play a lot of games
LU: Yes, we have here with 500GB Harddisk, its 500USD. (just a rough conversion from the price in my town currentcy)
F: Thats expensive, but if i also by kinect will i get a discount?
LU: sorry sir, the JTAG not compatible with kinect. even more, it cant play new games.
F: what... that's too bad. So how about PS3?
LU: no no sir, dont buy PS3. it cant play pirated games <--- it make me chuckle when the store person say that

F: So How much the game cost?
LU: Its very expensive 40USD and we dont have new games stocked <--- second chuckle

then i finish my payment for Xbox 360 Jasper so i disturb their conversation, telling the Father person that PS3 original games can be ordered from online store, albeit unofficial. And the Xbox JTAG can be used with Kinect and can play new games if the software in xbox is updated.

what respond i got?
the gamestore person look at me weird and ignoring me.The father person also looks confused.Then the gamestore person start telling the Father to get hacked xbox 360 slim that they have in stock.

Back