Misc Gaming related thread

I'll let someone more sure answer that one, but the only term I can think of offhand that fits is "Game Data Record," though I think that's more of a general coding term rather than a final output identification.

Equivalent of a CD-R, i'd imagine. Dreamcast disks were GD-ROMs (although i have no idea what the G ever stood for...), so a recordable version would presumably be a GD-R.

Could just be referencing Dreamcast's media which are named GD-ROMs (gigabyte disc) instead of CD-ROMs. Instead of a CD-R build, could be a GDR.

Sorry, I posted that too late. Anyway, I think the storage capacity on the discs could get up around 1.2 gigabytes.

200MB normal CD-ROM data on the first half, and almost exactly 1GB data on the GD-ROM data on the outer half.

AFAIR actual game data had to be stored in the GD-ROM formatted segment.

I read the review of "The Suffering", seems to be a good title. Has anyone played this game? Is it any good?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/18/news_6091692.html

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone announced

Atari and Stormfront Studios announce the development of a new PS2 action adventure game set in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. First screens inside.

Atari and Stormfront Studios today announced the development of Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone for the PlayStation 2. The action adventure game, which is being developed under license from Hasbro, will see players embroiled in a battle between two demonic armies set to overrun the Dungeons & Dragons world of Faerun.

"Stormfront Studios has proven itself to be one of the preeminent console developers with its work on The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. In our search for a development partner that could bring an intense, action-oriented and cinematic D&D experience to the PlayStation 2, there was no equal," said John Hight, executive producer at Atari's Los Angeles studio. "Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone will raise the bar several notches, with new engine technologies allowing for greatly enhanced gameplay. The next-gen engine will also allow gamers to play multiple characters, with varying abilities throughout each encounter, as well as [provide] the ability to switch characters on the fly--a first for an action game of this nature."

Players will control a party of three characters in the game, including a fighter, a sorcerer, and a rogue. Each of the playable characters will have very different abilities, and as players switch between them on the fly, the game's AI will assume control of the other two. The game's combat system will cater to players of all abilities, and advanced players will be able to customize their characters' special attacks, combinations, and even group superattacks as they progress through the game.

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone is currently scheduled for release in the fall. Check back later today for exclusive screenshots and movies, a developer interview, and an exclusive first look at the game.

By Justin Calvert -- GameSpot
Posted: 03/18/04 10:02 AM

Stormfront did quite well with LoTR:TTT, so this title is worth looking out for.

What is SRWMX?

BTW some headlines from magicbox:

MGS3:Snake Eater

"Konami has released new details on its espionage tactical action game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for PlayStation 2. The game will have a new close-quarter combat (CQC) system, which is created with advices from military advisor Motosada Mori.

CQC is a combat technique for fighting multiple enemies that are very close to you. It is used in jungle, bush or indoors when you cannot use a gun. It is also used when terrorists with hostages are in a facility or an airplane. CQC also involves psychological warfare -- making the first move to affect the enemy's psychology so that the enemy does not attack you.

Some example CQC techniques include Stun by Blow, Throw from the Front, and Throw from Behind."

Gradius V Screenshots

Here are some new images of Nintendo's Mario Story 2 (Paper Mario 2) for GameCube, the latest sequel to the popular Mario RPG series. The game will have a mix of platform action, adventure and RPG elements. The battle system resembles the one found in Mario & Luigi for GameBoy Advance. There are also a number of mini games available for play during the quest. Mario Story 2 is scheduled to release in Japan by the end of this year.

- SNK Playmore announced they will release the 3D fighting game King of Fighters: Maximum Impact for PS2 in Japan on July 29.

- Sega announced they will release Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 14: Decathlete and Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol.15: Alien Sydrome for PS2 in Japan on July 29, for 2500 yen each.

- SNK Playmore announced they will release the PS2 port of the arcade fighting game Samurai Spirits Zero (Samurai Shodown V) in Japan on June 24.

- Arika has released a new preview trailer of Espgaluda for PS2, the game is scheduled to release in Japan on May 27.

- Gust has released a new video of its PS2 RPG Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, the game is scheduled for a May 27 release in Japan.

- Sony announced there will be about 10 EyeToy compatible PS2 titles in Japan this year, including Bandai's Kaiketsu Zoriri Mezase on April 28 and EA's Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban on June 24. More than 140,000 EyeToy were sold in Japan since it is released on February 11.

- Success announced they will release a Xbox port of the Naomi arcade shooter Psyvariar 2 in Japan this summer. The Xbox version will have Xbox Live support for the Internet Ranking.

- UNCONFIRMED: Gamestop reported that Microsoft / Level 5's Xbox Live MMORPG True Fantasy Live Online will be released in US on September 28, 2004.

- Tecmo mentioned they have shipped more than 500,000 copies of Ninja Gaiden for Xbox in North America.

- Namco announced a new arcade idol simulation game The Idol Master. In this game you play as a producer, your goal is to create a future idol. You must train your character, compete with other idols in TV programs and raise her popularity....

- Reuters reported that Capcom has forecasted a net loss of 9.4 billion yen ($89 million) in the business year of 2003, ending on March 31, as opposed to the earlier estimate of 4.2 billion yen profit. Capcom plans to book an 8.2 billion yen one-time loss from the liquidation of Status, a casualty insurance sales and financial services subsidiary. Last year Capcom has also posted a loss of 19.6 billion yen.

- Former Sega / United Game Artist producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi mentioned that he is planning to develop a new game for PSP or Nintendo DS, which is based on the concept of Rez, but the game will have a different name due to copyright.

Don't want to create a new topic for just a game.

PS2 - Gunslinger Girl Vol. I

Got it today, mainly for the bundled TV Anime DVD than the game, and it has a big gorgeous art book (contains 28 great art works) that comes with it.

The game is a simple one, I feel like Time Crisis, but for sure it is more like 3rd person shooter with auto locking control and first person view at some points.

3 videos of the auto run demos

http://htfriends.net/video/gsg-demo-street.mpg
http://htfriends.net/video/gsg-demo-training.mpg
http://htfriends.net/video/gsg-demo-hotel.mpg

At 6800 Yen, for fans (like me), it is a steal for just the Anime DVD (which contains 5 episodes of the TV series) and the beautiful art book.

gsg-box-front.jpg

gsg-box-back.jpg

gsg-pack.jpg

maskrider said:

Got it today, mainly for the bundled TV Anime DVD than the game, and it has a big gorgeous art book (contains 28 great art works) that comes with it.
Is that show itself any good?

ChryZ said:
maskrider said:

Is that show itself any good?

Yes, pretty interesting. Young girls trained (mentally and physically, they are called the Mechanical bodies) to be assassins to serve a government entity, total 13 episodes, finished broadcasting already.

The game itself can only be put into those budget games class, it is the Anime DVD and the art book that make it worth buying.

Seems like Archie has also watched it from his signature.

Back