NVIDIA Morgan Stanley Webcast: Sony, G80 and 80/65nm

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Arun, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Summary / Partial Transcript Of The Following Webcast:
    NVIDIA Corporation at Morgan Stanley Semiconductor & Systems Conference (Replay)
    03/07/06 at 8:45 a.m. PT

I personally was VERY interested by the Sony and G80-related tidbits! :) The emphasis on 80/65/55nm is really interesting too. Anyway, read on! And sorry about the less than perfect formating; that's the problem of taking notes in notepad...
    Enjoy!

Uttar

#1 Arun, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
    Guden Oden, Geo and digitalwanderer like this.
  2. Tahir2

Veteran

Thanks Uttar.

NVIDIA are offering rebates in the UK for their top end models. I tihnk this is a first for NVIDIA.

3. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Awesome job, Uttar. Green love left in your cp when I can hit you again.

That might be the most significant prediction in the whole thing. I think many of us have been leaning that way, but it's interesting to hear Jen-Hsun say it too.

Note on "NV50" --Jen-Hsun did NOT use that term. That was the interviewer. I've officially switched to "G80" and will brook no "NV50" not from the lips of an actual NV representative! :lol:

4. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

He sure says "Uhm" a lot.

Good work Uttar!

Some interesting stuff in there.

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

We all know that Jen-Hsun *loves* to talk about how much they spend on R&D. But has he made such a bold statement on investment on anything since NV30? Now, for the moment, let's forget about how that one turned out. . .I'm just after do we take this as a statement of a very significant (USC?) departure for G80 architecturally. . .or just Jen-Hsun bragging on his R&D budget?

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Now that's the kind of gung-ho talk I like to hear!! :lol: I'm really interested in how they plan to bring all this innovation in a DX10 world where the focus seems to be on convergence.

7. borntosoul

Regular Newcomer

hmmm ill be really suprised to see g80 on 65nm late this year. maybe he was talkiing about the mid end parts but i doubt it.

edit: oh thanks Uttar, great catch.

#7 borntosoul, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  8. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Uttar, you're cranking out great posts faster than I can rep you. Please, don't stop. :)

9. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

I've been bullying him into it in IRC. :lol: Actually, I told him the secret mojo to my rep success is cc summaries. People can tell, and appreciate, when you take a bullet for the team.

10. dizietsma

Banned

Nice work Uttar.

The talk of G80 later this year, which I assume is the same part as the DX10 part they talk about makes for some interesting speculation on timsescales.

As mentioned above does " most of our designs in the pipeline " mean that G80 will be 65nm or will it be like last time and be initially on 80nm for 8800 and then 65 for the 8900 refresh ? I'd be conservitive and say out on 80nm...

I wonder how quickly the 80nm process will come out for 7600/7900 now as well ? I'm thinking very soon means less 1Q or less, so say May/June. If there is going to be a bit of a price war now between Ati and nvidia the sooner the better of course (and making dual or quad cheaper of course ). Certainly I'd be wary about picking up a new 7900 at the moment as these could be very cheap on 80nm. I think 80nm could knock 25% off the cost for nvidia and so they could decrease price by 15% and still improve margins. Maybe we will see a 7900GT at $249 and the dual card at $500.

11. Megadrive1988

Veteran

very interesting Utter, thank you.

I remember at the NV30 ~ GeForce FX launch event in early 2003, Jen-Hsun or Kirk or one of the Nvidia higher-ups said that they were working on the NV40 and NV50 generations. that was 3 years ago, so they've been working on NV50 since 2002.

12. Ben-Nice

Regular

- NV50-related...

- "Our next generation product is the combination of 3 years of heavy-duty work. We started architecting it about 4 years ago, and, you know, my best calculations have this investing $250M into it already, and by the time it launches as well as the entire product family, we will have invested about $500M in R&D."
    - "It is a spectacular computing machine and, uhm, we can't wait to show it to you later this year".

What machine is this? They can't be talking about the PS3 can they?

13. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

My impression was G80+Vista.

14. Maintank

Regular

I think with the performance numbers and the die size of the 7900, Nividia is planning on a price war in the near future. The die sizes of the competing chips and the small performance advantage the X1900XTX has makes me think Nvidia is going to compete on price.

15. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

On the one hand they are well positioned for it. On the other, their guidance/predictions re signficant increase in already-record margins limits their ability to do so to some degree. Doesn't mean they couldn't if they felt it necessary, but it makes it unlikely they are planning a scorched-earth campaign on pricing at this point. But certainly between "no price war" and "scorched-earth" they have some room there --definitley more room than ATI does anyway.

16. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

If they lose marketshare to ATI I am pretty sure they will pursue a price war rather than slip away. Investors might be upset, but their stock it high anyway right now.

I think it wil be a good test about whether there is informal collusion between ati and Nv. If a price war doesn't erupt. The thing is I kind of feel it might already have started, afterall launching the 7600gt at <$200 is mighty fine.

17. Tahir2

Veteran

NVIDIA 7600GT is positioned in the same bracket the 6600GT was.

For that reason its stated price is normal but it has meant ATI has needed to reduce the price of the X1600 range.

18. Megadrive1988

Veteran

no not PS3. the PS3 does not use NV50 or a derivative of NV50. they're talking about the NV50 PC GPU, or the NV50 GPU within a top-end PC with Windows Vista.

19. basanti

Banned

someone told me Nvidia got a bad deal from Sony as they will stop recieving royalties once the console sales start to peak? is that true?

20. Razor1

Veteran

The deal with Sony is supposed to be even more then the PS3, so I don't think so, also even for plans for the next PS.

Well this interview clarifies that the g80 will be unified?

PS utter stop posting so many good posts, can't give you rep points that quickly :)

#20 Razor1, Mar 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006