RSX - G80 & Crazy Ken's 4D connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm late to the party, but...
archy121 said:
Sony did not spent wads of money to get yesterdays NV47 core glued to Flexio.
This is nothing but circular reasoning. You're inventing evidence out of thin air, and then you go about proving it in the rest of the post. Sorry, you have no case.

archy121 said:
The N47 GPU part does not fit at all with the selection of other truly NextGen components. There is nothing NextGen about it today & hardly back in spring.
Sorry but thats the reality. :|

Darkon said:
If so that would make ps3 console life about 2-3 years , G120 would be a safer bet :p

okay well yeah. the higher the better, the more modern the GPU, the better.

plus there likely is not as many complete generational, architectural shifts going on here,
as some might think with G90, G100, G110, G120 etc.

for instance, the G90 is likely to just be a refresh of G80, thus G90 = NV55.
G100 new architecture: NV60.
G110 refresh: NV65.
G120 new architecture: NV70

if each completely new Nvidia architecture is every two years, late 2006 gives us NV50/G80, late 2008 gives us NV60/G100, late 2010 gives us NV70/G120. of course though, there will almost certainly be shifts to the roadmap, as the roadmap is constantly shifting. but anyway, so NV70 or NV75 may be the basis for PS4 GPU assuming PS4 launches in 2012. Don't forget that RSX is based on 2004 architecture, even though PS3 is launching in 2006.

I don't expect bleeding-edge GPUs in consoles from Sony or Microsoft anymore. Perhaps someone else will come along to surprise us with something absolutely bleeding edge for its time.

sorry for the longwinded post ;)

archy121 said:
Did you actually read every line ?

Didn't have to since this has been a known entity here since last year. Catch up. Use the search feature. It's your friend.

When Kutaragi mentioned 4D he was refering to Time - a la persistent online worlds that change and grow and feel 'real,' and you can come in and out of.

Not 4D textures. ;)

I thought the 4D comment was just Kutaragi latching onto Cell's advantage in physics to try to find something to differentiate/justify the PS3.

idsn6 said:
I thought the 4D comment was just Kutaragi latching onto Cell's advantage in physics to try to find something to differentiate/justify the PS3.
sce1161dofb7.jpg

Although what I have shown is not CONCRETE evidence that G80 is RSX
to right,
whilst what u say is within the realms of possibility it is extremely unlikely.
personally i believe if theres gonna be any major spec change, ild want another 256mb ( in main or graphics mem ) in fact if there was a choice of
A/ 3.2ghz cell + 256mb + 256mb
B/ 2.8ghz cell + 512mb + 256mb
i'ld choose B

I don't recall slides being used to such practical effect in a long time. Talk about conversation-enders. :smile:

Archy, as for your claim that it'd be odd to release PS3 with everything "next-gen" but the GPU, wasn't PS2 basically the same? Seems to me Sony'd want to spend more on parts they create (CPU, optical) than those they have to outsource (GPU), at least if they're keeping an eye on the bottom line (future price reductions and console redesigns due to process shrinks, a la PS One and the slim PS2).

Also, G80 is expected to weigh in at 500M transistors. That sounds a bit huge and power-hungry to cram into a console.

I'm guessing the 4d texture stuff would be usefull for "Light Field Mapping".

One of the pioneers of "Light Field Mapping" is one of the chief designers of the RSX.

Wei-Chao Chen, Ph.D.

08/2002 - Current
Fall 2001 –
Spring 2002
Summer 2001
Summer 2000
08/1998 – 05/2001
08/1996 – 05/1998
08/1993 – 07/1996
3D Graphics Architect
Architecture Group
nVidia Corporation, Santa Clara, California, U.S.A.
High-level design and testing of next-generation graphics processors (GPU):

- Architect, NV34 (GeForce 5200)
- Shader Architecture Lead, NV41/NV43 (GeForce 6600 series).
- Shader Architecture Lead, G70 (GeForce 7800 series)
- Shader/Texture Architecutre Lead, Sony Playstation 3 Rendering Subsystem.
- Next-generation GPU designs (project undisclosed).

Consultant
Visual Interactivity Group, Microprocessor Research Lab
Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California, U.S.A.
Work on Open-Source Light Field Mapping and its MPEG4 Standardization.
Course Instructor: “COMP14-91: Introduction to Programming”
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Prepared and taught a full-semester undergraduate summer course.
Internship on Photorealistic 3D Modeling
Visual Interactivity Group, Microprocessor Research Lab
Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California, U.S.A.
Started development of Light Field Mapping technology, an efficient representation for image-based models. My dissertation topic is partly based on the research started here.
Research Assistant
Office of the Future/Teleimmersion Project (under Dr. Henry Fuchs)
Department of Computer Science
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Research on Immersive Displays, Augmented Reality and Teleimmersion. I am the primary UNC-CH contributor to the “National Teleimmersion Initiative”, a joint effort by UNC-CH, Brown University, University of Pennsylvania, and Advanced Network Services. This work is featured in department recruit poster and “Scientific American”, among others.
Army Infantry (Obligatory Army Service), Taiwan
Research Assistant
Archi Group (under Dr. Feipei Lai)
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~ciao/resume-weichaochen.html

Than yesterday as I was scouring the web for information on the RSX, I came across a forum where a member had discreetly left created a thread, left a message & practically disappeared –still no chance to thanks him. It immediately rang BELLS & WHISTLES *&^%$ ! .
Ah, I see you've met version - the drive-by poster. He hasn't added anything here in ages. Well known for linking to valid (but unrelated) patents and posting dream specs.

It's a shame you didn't check here on the official NV47 comments before spending all that time doing all your detective work.

I personally think that the RSX will be a G7x+ so basically a G70 derivate with some extended features. Aren't there some things in the PSGL spec that seem quite DX10 like already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back