Misc Gaming related thread

From the-magicbox.com....

"CESA announced new details for the Tokyo Game Show 2004, the show will take place at the Tokyo Makuhari Messe Hall from September 24 - 26. The first day is for press only, and the last two days are for general public. CESA plans to expand the show coverage by including online games and mobile phone games, as well as peripheral manufacturers, chip makers, ISPs and game development schools."

"Electronic Arts and Free Radical Design announced that the first person shooter TimeSplitter 3 will be released for GameCube, PS2 and Xbox in 2005."

"After several months delay, Nintendo has rescheduled Pikmin 2 for a April 29 release in Japan."

The Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children promo is out on BT, but uh, since it's kinda warez I won't post any links. But it does look pretty sweet however :)

This has been out for a long time, but I thought it was broken because I can't get Xine to work with it. Anyway it works with Windows media player, so here are the links.

Promotional video for Super Robot Taisen MX, streaming video and 56K unfriendly. It will never be released outside Japan, but it's one of those very interesting games that uses just so-so technology but delivers excellent content.

http://www.suparobo.jp/movie/low.asx

Maybe not in Shenmue 3. The next chapters explore more traditional Chinese locations and culture (Shenhua's now a major character), like a classical Chinese courtyard.

I'd like Ryo to return to Hong Kong and Kowloon, though... and Yokosuka, Japan for that matter. Would be great to see the places in different seasons with the game's Magic Weather system, like in the original demos of the engine (leaves growing and then falling off the trees in Sakuragoaka, snow piling up on the streets.)

1. It happened a year ago or so, my DC Shenmue and Crazy Taxi 2 ran once and then for some strange reason didn't run ever again whereas other games continue to run perfectly, I cleaned lens also but nothing happened....any explanations?

2. What is the street price of PS2 Eye Toy (without game) and Network Adaptor?

3. Can we call Devil May Cry a full 3D game?

4. Shall I play Japenese Ico as I don't feel I will find an English copy? Will it adversely affect my gaming experience?

Which was the first cell shaded game? If someone remembers, there was a game called Fear Effect (4 CDs :oops: ) on PS1. Was it cell shaded partially bec'se it looked different from the usual stuff?

Evil_Cloud:
And where could I find the original demos of the engine?
Footage of the engine demonstrations for Shenmue was poorly captured and is hard to come by. Here are a few images from presentations on Magic Time and Weather, though:

Changing Weather Patterns and Snow Accumulation
earlyshenmuepic_small.jpg

dobuita_small.jpg

Trees Changing with the Season
shenmuetreebeta.jpg

There was demonstration here with the giant tree in Ryo's yard and the sakura (cherry) blossoms in Sakuragoaka where the trees would drop their leaves and become bare, and then regrow them all before your eyes.

A lot of the demos would show a neighborhood from a panaromic view and would swoop in through the streets as day turned to night or as seasons changed on the landscape in accelerated time. There may be some footage of some of this in the movie clips section of Shenmue I's Passport disc and possibly in a promo video on the November 2000 US Official Dreamcast Mag demo disc.

If you're really interested, though, you can invest the time and effort to study some of the footage in this Japanese feature that goes behind-the-scenes at AM2 during development. The two-hour documentary covers certain media events SEGA held for the game, R&D (location research, music, voice acting, motion-capture for martial arts, etc.), and game video for the various play systems and the massive number of locations of its world (most of which are almost completely different from the final game)... demonstrations of game footage really start about 34 minutes in:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/oldclips/shenmue45od.zip

You'll need to free register at FilePlanet to download, the movie quality is extremely rough and in Japanese, but there's a lot of interesting unreleased material to see for fans of the game. You'll see earlier versions of the characters, upcoming main characters like Niao Sun, displays of weather/season and the wind physics on atmospheric fog, dozens of unseen places like an office of Lan Di, and some totally different builds of the locations Ryo visits.

There seemed to be a lot of revisions. Here are a few shots of that:

Biking in Yokosuka:
bike_small.jpg

Earlier Version of Hong Kong:
mue22.jpg

01.jpg

shenmue001.jpg

Earlier Version of Kowloon:
04.jpg

2 piece of interesting news. Collected from MagicBox.

Konami announced the release date of Silent Hill 4: The Room for PlayStation 2, the game will be released in Japan on June 17, for 6980 yen. No release date is announced for the Xbox version.

- Capcom's Hiroyuki Kobayashi (producer of Viewtiful Joe) confirmed that he is working on a new PS2 humorous action game called Panic Maker, the story is about a hero protecting the planet from alien invasion. Panic Maker is scheduled to release in Japan this summer.

From Gamegossip.com
Take-Two's Call: Game Release Dates, PSP, Outlaw Publishing & More
Andrew 'Talon' Wilson :: 10:03 AM @ March 4th, 2004 :: No Subject
A couple hours ago, Take-Two Interactive posted financial results for the first-quarter and now, as with all conference calls (well most), we have a summary report of the conference call that followed the financial report. During the call, Take-Two Interactive started things off by putting forth a few more accurate release dates for upcoming titles. According to the call, Destruction Derby Arenas for the PlayStation 2 will launch on March 29th, 2004. This will be followed by Serious Sam: The Next Encounter (PlayStation 2, GameCube, Game Boy Advance) and UFC: Sudden Impact during mid-April.

Shifting focus to the future, Take-Two Interactive revealed the answer to the long-wondered question as to who would be publishing the Outlaw series of games from developer Hypnotix, by revealing that it will be publishing Outlaw Golf 2 during Q4 2004. As far as the bigger picture goes with respect to software, the company further stated that it currently has 50 titles in development, with 40 on track for this year. Since no call would be complete without mention of the next-generation of systems, Take-Two concluded the call by finally making a bit of its PlayStation Portable plans clear. Specifically, the company revealed it is developing for the system, and will have titles at or around launch. This came alongside word that it expects PlayStation 3 to launch during 2006 due to the recent delay of PSP until 2005. Check back with us later today for more news.

The site for Capcom Production Studio 4's Panic Maker gone live!
http://www.capcom.co.jp/panic/
The protagonist is an alien named "Cosmi". Like all of his race, upon reaching the age of 3 he must embark on a journey of training. But he has chosen the most dangerous place in the universe - Earth, where the most terrible creatures of all reside - humans.

To hide himself, Cosmi can scan humans and transform into an exact duplicate of the target. He also has different forms of attacks and defences in different forms. Once discovered, the nasty humans will form a mob to chase after him. Cosmi must run away and quickly take on another disguise to hide himself.

Will Cosmi return safely from the terrible Earth?

passerby said:
The site for Capcom Production Studio 4's Panic Maker gone live!
http://www.capcom.co.jp/panic/
The protagonist is an alien named "Cosmi". Like all of his race, upon reaching the age of 3 he must embark on a journey of training. But he has chosen the most dangerous place in the universe - Earth, where the most terrible creatures of all reside - humans.

To hide himself, Cosmi can scan humans and transform into an exact duplicate of the target. He also has different forms of attacks and defences in different forms. Once discovered, the nasty humans will form a mob to chase after him. Cosmi must run away and quickly take on another disguise to hide himself.

Will Cosmi return safely from the terrible Earth?

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040305/pan.htm

The screens on Impress Watch are hilarious, my first feeling when I see the screen reminds me of JSRF and Viewtiful Joe.

One of the best games we never got to play?

http://nfg.2y.net/grafx/DCPropArenaHi.avi

If you haven't seen this promo video for Propeller Arena before, it's good for showing action from many of the different levels, the fighting-game styled controller inputs for special moves, the Crazy(tm) line-up of characters, people getting smoked in the online dogfights, and the lobbies and voice chat support.

A beta of the game might be getting leaked in the future. I just wish SEGA would set this up themselves, though, with the servers for online play.

Someone bought the GDR disk with the final (retail) build for something like 1500$. It's going to be ripped, but first distributed in a small group of people.

Back