Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your friends get pissed that something better might exist than the thing they bought (which happens all the time in any other industry), then perhaps their obsession with wanting to have the latest and the greatest is the problem, and not the iterative console model. :p
There is no problem with it. Not all industries are the same. The console industry was different and it attracted the type of consumer that found the relatively fixed nature of the consoles convenient. The better was perceived as the next new console which would be released 5+ years later. Now we have in the middle of the console's lifespan an interval where the existing console sees an upgrade. The fixed nature of consoles is why it attracted these people to be console owners and not PC owners despite that PCs were better from the start. For the rest of the market we have PCs to satisfy their needs.

The value of buying an Xbox One right now in my mind depends on if it will be able to run uwp games at some point.

IMO a reset for a new generation is still necessary for the industry because this is the best way to introduce new gameplay methods such as new controllers, more simultaneous online players ..etc.
PCs haven't ever reset, and the basics of controllers have barely changed since the SNES from like...1991, or thereabouts. Other than analog sticks, all that has been added to controllers are gimmicks and BS; touchpads, speaker, vibration, accelerometer and so on.

Resets have been a tool mainly for console manufacturers, because they first of all haven't been in a position where a forwards-backwards-compatible system made sense; hardware at the time was too specialized to handle such things. Second, manufacturers historically lacked the expertise to create the software layers making compatible consoles a possibility. MS had it, but they didn't join until comparatively late in the game, and back then new console generations saw huge changes compared to the previous, so there wasn't much hope in making them compatible anyhow.

The relatively recent, but weak, Wii U sacrificed a noticeable amount of power to remain hardware backwards compatible with its turn-of-the-century sibling Wii. Other consoles would have had to make a similar sacrifice to be backwards compatible, and older consoles would not have been able to run new games but at a cut-down fidelity. But today, we're in a unique position where software and hardware has both matured, the feature race has largely subsided, moore's law is dead...

We can finally have upgradeable consoles! ...If that's what people want. :p This is one huge big (and probably expensive and risky) experiment. Nothing like this has been attempted before in the console space, it's an unique event, and as such, very interesting, heh!

The fixed nature of consoles is why it attracted these people to be console owners and not PC owners despite that PCs were better from the start. For the rest of the market we have PCs to satisfy their needs.

Some assumptions here. I'm not a fan of fixed hardware capabilities for 5 or more years in the slightest, I just prefer the console experience. A console has better respect for my time; start/sleep/resume, background updates, fully operable with a controller and no maintenance. As a game swapper/trader, the used game market also appeals.

The value of buying an Xbox One right now in my mind depends on if it will be able to run uwp games at some point.

It has already been stated that XB1 is getting the UWP Store, but it's likely developers will be releasing apps more so than games.

Tommy McClain

It has already been stated that XB1 is getting the UWP Store, but it's likely developers will be releasing apps more so than games.

Tommy McClain

If Scorpio runs uwp games from the start (which I am betting it will) and never run on Xbox One...support for that console will die off fairly quickly. Microsoft will want every developer to develop on uwp. Which means it's not worth it to buy it at this point. It's library (of recent games) won't be large enough and you are only going to have one Halo and Gears game developed for the system in it's entire lifespan. Not worth it.

I wasn't moving the cliché goalpost...

I was conveying facts of the current market, versus wishful thinking. Sure there can be millions of reason "why" someone should purchase XB1... however, my rebuttal was that the majority of gamers aren't seeing it . So, if there are any valid reasons, the current market (majority of gamers) aren't seeing it... so the XB1 slim edition reasons seem even slimmer. Making the XB1 future questionable, especially when a powerhouse (Scorpio) is just around the corner.
if PS4 slim was like the right price, I would buy one too. Power isn't everything, sometimes we can only afford certain price points. While it's true all the enthusiasts are up and done with eh consoles, there are large markets of where the population doesn't have nearly as much expendable cash, and they're looking for these rock bottom prices.

If Scorpio runs uwp games from the start (which I am betting it will) and never run on Xbox One...support for that console will die off fairly quickly. Microsoft will want every developer to develop on uwp. Which means it's not worth it to buy it at this point. It's library (of recent games) won't be large enough and you are only going to have one Halo and Gears game developed for the system in it's entire lifespan. Not worth it.
What if they commit to the plan of making cross-buy a reality with Xbox and PC going forward? I think that is a good sales pitch, even if you will probably have to use UWA for those games on PC.

(I'm still on Windows 7 and don't want to upgrade XD)

What if they commit to the plan of making cross-buy a reality with Xbox and PC going forward? I think that is a good sales pitch, even if you will probably have to use UWA for those games on PC.

(I'm still on Windows 7 and don't want to upgrade XD)

Well yeah if they are converging the windows and xbox stores then I think you will just have one account and anything you buy on Xbox will be available on your windows pc and vice versa. But my question is whether Xbox One will support AAA games developed on the universal windows platform. If it doesn't maybe it isn't worth buying as support for the console will die off.

So if it really is a ~ 6TF console, will people still call it XBone Two?

So besides all the talk about Xbox Scorpio...anybody have an idea of how big the Xbox One slim will be? Apparently it's 40% smaller than Xbox One. Is that like in Xbox S/E model territory?

So besides all the talk about Xbox Scorpio...anybody have an idea of how big the Xbox One slim will be? Apparently it's 40% smaller than Xbox One. Is that like in Xbox S/E model territory?
Looks like the slim will be "40% smaller" according to Tom Warren. Would put it a smidgen smaller than the PS4 in volume...

XB1- 343mm x 80mm x 263mm = 7216.72 cm^3 - 40% = 4330.03 cm^3
PS4 - 275mm x 53mm x 305mm = 4445.38 cm^3

EDIT:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Couldn't find 360 E dimensions(looks the same as the 360 S)..

270mm x 75mm x 264mm = 5346 cm^3

Tommy McClain

Well, you don't need a big xboner when you spend most of your time getting shafted in the marketplace. But if you want to disrupt the status quo in a big way then you need some big cajones to do it ;-)

Has anything been released about new Kinect or TV integration for this? I saw a rumor earlier this week that MS is about to get into IPTV... Prior to and early in the release of XB1 many supporters seemed to be very much in favor of voice controls, is that still a feature people want with the new hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back