Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
13c4fz.jpg

An interview about Scorpio and its resolution. The TL;DR completely up to the developer on how to use the FLOPs.

They stated the intent was to take an Xbox game and just make it run at 4K no reductions. But that isn't what is being asked from developers.

Interesting. Well I assume Sony had a similar mandate. Leaving it up to Devs to choose the resolution for up scaling. I still can't imagine them doing a 1080p designed game to take full use of 6TF. Then again I could be wrong, if W3 is any indication.

Certainly feel good about this, I don't expect a lot of native 4K titles on Scorpio/Neo then either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...resolution_and_frame/?st=IS2AAQJY&sh=55c871f4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are signs which indicate that the processor of Scorpio is going to be the AMD Zen. Some data on the new processors of the "ZEN" family from AMD has been leaked, which is scheduled to hit the market in the first quarter of 2017, and SCORPIO has all the ballots to use it...so its bowels are going to be assembled with this dark beast.

The reasons seem to be clear, it's going to be launched in the first quarter of 2017, new microarchitecture designed for 4 k, virtual reality video and gaming...

upload_2016-8-22_2-1-52.png

upload_2016-8-22_2-2-8.png

There are signs which indicate that the processor of Scorpio is going to be the AMD Zen. Some data on the new processors of the "ZEN" family from AMD has been leaked, which is scheduled to hit the market in the first quarter of 2017, and SCORPIO has all the ballots to use it...so its bowels are going to be assembled with this dark beast.

The reasons seem to be clear, it's going to be launched in the first quarter of 2017, new microarchitecture designed for 4 k, virtual reality video and gaming...

View attachment 1528

View attachment 1527

Summit Ridge is 95 watt desktop chip. There are signs that point to Scorpio using Jaguar cores unfortunately

MS simply stating 8 core cpu rather than 5000% faster than Xbox One CPU, the fact that they bothered shrinking Jaguar to 16nm for Xbox One S.. and of course this quote by Lisa Su

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-grafikkarten-marktanteil/

No Zen in semi-custom solutions until 2018

Summit Ridge is 95 watt desktop chip. There are signs that point to Scorpio using Jaguar cores unfortunately

MS simply stating 8 core cpu rather than 5000% faster than Xbox One CPU, the fact that they bothered shrinking Jaguar to 16nm for Xbox One S.. and of course this quote by Lisa Su

Summit Ridge is 35 - 95W desktop chip (IIRC), but Zen is meant to scale from just couple W's all the way up there, just like current Intel architectures.

I don't see any reason why Zen wouldn't be available for semi-customs next year, no matter what Su hinted

I wonder how Jaguar is going to feed a 6 teraflops GPU... how can that be done?

On a different note, EA say they are 100% behind Scorpio https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/767865309009022976

Summit Ridge is 35 - 95W desktop chip (IIRC), but Zen is meant to scale from just couple W's all the way up there, just like current Intel architectures.

I don't see any reason why Zen wouldn't be available for semi-customs next year, no matter what Su hinted

I can understand if you argued that she was misquoted or even that the website fabricated the quote. But you dont see a reason no matter what she hinted? Maybe she has a reason that she doesnt need to publically share, being the CEO of AMD gives her some insight into the companies roadmap

I can understand if you argued that she was misquoted or even that the website fabricated the quote. But you dont see a reason no matter what she hinted? Maybe she has a reason that she doesnt need to publically share, being the CEO of AMD gives her some insight into the companies roadmap
Should have worded it "what she's said to have hinted", without actual quotes I wouldn't draw any conclusions

I wonder how Jaguar is going to feed a 6 teraflops GPU... how can that be done?

On a different note, EA say they are 100% behind Scorpio https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/767865309009022976
The same games will need to also run on current gen anyway, so it's only graphics improvements with mid-gen.
They will probably use GPGPU as much as possible, more work but it's an easier situation than the Cell processor ever was.

With all major studios openly excited about mid-gen, I really want to know the source of Colin from KindaFunny who claimed all developers he talked to said mid-gen is a horrible idea and everybody hates it.

Maybe where Sony wants devs to rework the games themselves, MS will do the slight tweaking for all XB1 games?

Maybe where Sony wants devs to rework the games themselves, MS will do the slight tweaking for all XB1 games?
One advantage of the x86 and shared APU has to be the faster dev cycle. Not to mention in a very short a mint of time a LOT of games have been released. I think it's just too much effort for a single group to be going back to tweaking all these titles.

Unless they manage to do it through their VM. I dunno. Just seems like a lot of effort and I think Devs would like to have control over their own properties. (If the Scorpio variant is different from the XBO).

If we are talking straight compatibility I guess it's on MS to make sure all games run.

With all major studios openly excited about mid-gen, I really want to know the source of Colin from KindaFunny who claimed all developers he talked to said mid-gen is a horrible idea and everybody hates it.

Sucks for QA/test, nice for those who want more performance.

An insight that she doesn't want to share completely because the more she reveals about future products, the larger is the osborne effect over current and short-term products.

The only valid reason to assume the Scorpio will use Jaguar is because developers will have to make all non-graphics (therefore less scalable) stuff work on the Xbone's 1.7GHz Jaguar cores, and not because Lisa Su didn't explicitly say which architecture they used.
They also didn't specify which RAM type they will be using, but no one is assuming it'll be DDR3.

When is life every good for QA/test though....
When your team does agile scrum properly.
(I may just have opened a can of worms here, I know..)

If we are talking straight compatibility I guess it's on MS to make sure all games run.
I assumed Scorpio would just run XB1 games, so the very suggestion of a compatibility group being involved is odd. They must be doing something, so there must be a degree of remapping or somesuch. And given Sony is asking as much from its devs for the otherwise hardware compatible Neo, I guess there's something needed per title, or at least on the VM level to ensure every game works flawlessly. But as you say, there's a lot of games to go through.

It's all a bit confusing really.

I assumed Scorpio would just run XB1 games, so the very suggestion of a compatibility group being involved is odd. They must be doing something, so there must be a degree of remapping or somesuch.

Indeed. If (high possibility) that there is no esram in Scorpio, then some sort of remapping will need to happen. It's definitely not going to be able to run it natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back