Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they said it was for OS and apps at launch, a quick Google says it's been dumped by I am on my mobile so cannot really read further.

This Unity Engine demo is a real-time-rendered short film running at 1440p on a GTX 980:

Is this the level of graphics will could eventually see on Scorpio?

This Unity Engine demo is a real-time-rendered short film running at 1440p on a GTX 980:

Is this the level of graphics will could eventually see on Scorpio?
Demos always look better than what can be achieved with same performance envelope in games.

I don't think it would be far fetched to speculate that Scorpio could achieve that level of graphics if a game was purely optimized for it's hardware...

It's more about the art, animation and direction. Demos have a huge a mount of time spent "optimising" presentation for every second, and are highly restricted and predictable in what you can see.

It's more about the art, animation and direction. Demos have a huge a mount of time spent "optimising" presentation for every second, and are highly restricted and predictable in what you can see.
Agreed. As the camera track is known in advance, you can do various big optimizations easily...

Only author/load/render assets (geometry/textures) of areas that are visible (in each camera cut). There's nothing around a corner, nothing behind an big object, nothing behind the camera. But since you can't go there (as the camera is not under your control) it doesn't really matter. It is like a movie set. Only things visible are authored/loaded/rendered. Big savings for memory, asset authoring and rendering time. This allows the team to focus time/memory on those assets that really matter, making them look better compared to games.

Only author/load/render LODs/mips based on the asset closest viewing distance. Don't author backsides of big unique objects (if the camera only sees them from one side). Everything that doesn't get close to the camera needs only a low poly model and a low resolution texture (enough to get 1:1 texel/screen mapping). Only assets that get very close to the camera are high resolution. This way you can focus your resources of those select assets. Same is true for geometry. Author assets based on the camera path. Background can be often made solely from impostors (super low poly or even planes). If something looks bad, either change that particular piece or change the camera path slightly.

Similar optimizations are possible for lighting. Shadowmaps are narrowed to fit the field of view. Light sources are selectively disabled from shots where they don't contribute enough (= cast important shadows).

And lastly, there is much more artistic freedom in camera depth of field and post process filter usage compared to playing a game. DOF is very hard to get working perfectly inside a game, because consumers don't have eye tracking devices yet. There's nothing worse than blurring the area where the player is trying to look at. Narrow depth of field and heavy post processing is perfect for hiding "computer generated" look, but you can't overuse these tricks in games. You'd also say that a well directed movie (with good camera work) looks visually better than a home made movie (everything is sharp, no closeups, no heavy focus/DOF tricks). That's one thing that separates cutscenes from gameplay, and I don't think it's going to change.

silly thought of the day

384-bit DDR4-4266 - 204GB/s
__MB SRAM @ 911MHz - 116GB/s

:runaway:

3840*2160*32bpp = 31.64MB!
52CUs @ 911Mhz = 6TF
4 shader engines, 13 CUs ea. 3+3+3+4

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
silly thought of the day

52CUs @ 911Mhz = 6TF

I had come up with THE SAME NUMBERS!!

(but was afraid to say)

(LPDDR4 is square.....?)

Last edited:
silly thought of the day

52CUs @ 911Mhz = 6TF

BTW, you'll need DDR4-4200 chips to get that BW.

HBM2

Aaron Greenberg has said Microsoft are really serious about 4k gaming with Scorpio. we shall see about the framerate..

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/07...io-aaron-greenberg-talks-xbox-one-s-and-more/

What I also really want is VR. A guy who studied with me this year got a VIVE for 1000€ :oops:, and the experience seems to be worth every single penny and I'd like to live that. VR and AR might be the future of games, and developers could probably program games thinking about the framerate for VR rather than a few extra effects or super wisps of grass, and games will try to be more creative than just good looking -which they will be, too.

But this reminds me of machines on which developers had to work around all the limitations, and some games were so great anyways..

Last edited:
bed with
Aaron Greenberg has said Microsoft are really serious about 4k gaming with Scorpio. we shall see about the framerate..

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/07...io-aaron-greenberg-talks-xbox-one-s-and-more/

What I also really want is VR. A guy who studied with me this year got a VIVE for 1000€ :oops:, and the experience seems to be worth every single penny and I'd like to live that. VR and AR might be the future of games, and developers could probably program games thinking about the framerate for VR rather than a few extra effects or super wisps of grass, and games will try to be more creative than just good looking -which they will be, too.

But this reminds me of machines on which developers had to work around all the limitations, and some games were so great anyways..

MS knows what it takes to do 4k right , they deal with tons of developers on pc and on console. They are even porting their current games to pc and enabling higher resolutions.

I think Scorpio will work well at 4k.

As for VR , the rumor puts them in bed with oculus . The constilation tech from oculus would work really well with the Kinect tech. A new Kinect v3 could provide additional hand and body tracking over just oculus touch for Scorpio

I think Scorpio will work well at 4k.
That is if having worse visuals than New PS4 is "well", then yeah. Just by going from 1080p to native 2160p, they will waste pretty much all the "4.5x" power, there wouldn't be much left to bring the settings even up to original PS4's level(that's by far more important than just resolution) + most heavy games on the X1 have native resolution well below 1080p. There is no way for Scorpio to do well at native 4K no matter what it ends up being.

Hopefully Scorpio GPU has north of 64 ROPs.
64CU Vega won't, but Scorpio would?

That is if having worse visuals than New PS4 is "well", then yeah. Just by going from 1080p to native 2160p, they will waste pretty much all the "4.5x" power, there wouldn't be much left to bring the settings even up to original PS4's level(that's by far more important than just resolution) + most heavy games on the X1 have native resolution well below 1080p. There is no way for Scorpio to do well at native 4K no matter what it ends up being.

64CU Vega won't, but Scorpio would?

Why do you think Vega is 64CU and why do you think it wont have more than 64 Rops ? All we have is Polaris and by the time Scorpio launches we will have the big and little Vega chips out or launching

The Rx 480 has 36 CUs with 144 texture units and 32 rops. The R390 has 40CU 160 t exture and 64 rops. The 480 is able to keep up with the r390 in a bunch of games because of this.

I'm betting Scorpio will have more rops , texture units and cu's along with higher clocks than the r480 . I'm also going to assume that AMD will have improved the power situation a bit more and would have made other optimizations to the hardware to get better performance out of it all

Why do you think Vega is 64CU? All we have is Polaris and by the time Scorpio launches we will have the big and little Vega chips out or launching
Cut Vega(64 CU) is going to compete with 1070/80, might come out in Q4, full Vega(96 CU) is likely to release only next year.
and why do you think it wont have more than 64 Rops ?
It's a given, 64 for cut(56-64 CU), 96 for full(88-96 CU) Vega.

I'm betting Scorpio will have more rops , texture units and cu's along with higher clocks than the r480 .
How, exactly? That wouldn't even be 6TF gpu anymore :D
MS is hardly going to pay for custom(not even semi-custom like X1's) chip.

Why do you think Vega is 64CU and why do you think it wont have more than 64 Rops ? All we have is Polaris and by the time Scorpio launches we will have the big and little Vega chips out or launching

The Rx 480 has 36 CUs with 144 texture units and 32 rops. The R390 has 40CU 160 t exture and 64 rops. The 480 is able to keep up with the r390 in a bunch of games because of this.

I'm betting Scorpio will have more rops , texture units and cu's along with higher clocks than the r480 . I'm also going to assume that AMD will have improved the power situation a bit more and would have made other optimizations to the hardware to get better performance out of it all
I can see it having more Rops because of 4k target and more tmu and CUs because it will probably be a cut down part, but I can't see it being clocked higher than the 480. That is a desktop part while console parts are usually clocked lower because of thermals and heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back