Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if I only had an Xbox One, I certainly would look at the 30+ PS4 exclusives which are supposed to come out this year with a bit of envy. Still, even if that isn't the case with you or any other Xbox One owner, my point still stands. As a matter of fact it's only being reafirmed: Contrary to popular internet wisdom, the people who buy every system under the sun are a tiny minority.

I don't have a clue of what the numbers are outside the US but the number of households in the US that own a console has hovered around 50% for years and the average number of consoles per gaming household has hovered around 2, which makes sense especially considering when the number of consoles sold into the US during a gen is roughly equivalent to the total number of households in the US. Multiple console ownership in the US has been quite common.

The memory is a bottleneck?
No the memory bandwidth is balanced for the GPU.

So the GPU is underpowered?
Of course not, the GPU is a perfect balance with the CPU.

Oh, the CPU is also underpowered?
Not at all, the CPU is an ideal balance with the memory bandwidth.

The thing with balance is, it doesn't really mean anything. It's just a PR statement for skirting around facts.
you can have a severely un balanced system, build a pc for an easy example, titan x, i7, 2gig of ram, no one would say the ram was balanced.
Wouldn't say skirting around facts, just presenting it as they see it. They never hid any facts that I can remember.

my point was that they can easily claim balance and not be wrong as long as they don't do something extreme.
all they have to do is say it's hitting a particular target.
does it mean much, no, doesn't make it wrong though.

I don't know, but I assume it will do, see little reason why it wouldn't. Unsure about 3d output though, does the x1 currently support 3d?
considering it was revealed by ms, I'm sure they will help them as much as possible, and make sure the relevant api's are available, I.e at least what x1 is currently capable of.

It is pretty messy to support the things I mentioned and I think it would actually take engineering resources from MS side to make it happen. But it might happen.

It is pretty messy to support the things I mentioned and I think it would actually take engineering resources from MS side to make it happen. But it might happen.
depends if it's currently supported.
for example we know bitstreaming is there, so expect that to be in kodi.
some things may not be currently available via public api's though, those are the things that I would expect ms to work with them on.
it's a pretty big turn around as the kodi team had very little interest in doing a port not to long ago. It seems the result of being in the store is what's convinced them to do a full uwp app.

I don't have a clue of what the numbers are outside the US but the number of households in the US that own a console has hovered around 50% for years and the average number of consoles per gaming household has hovered around 2, which makes sense especially considering when the number of consoles sold into the US during a gen is roughly equivalent to the total number of households in the US. Multiple console ownership in the US has been quite common.

How about the idea that during the course of a generation that can last up to 7 years that at some point or another, a gaming customer might have upgraded his console to a newer revision (e.g. a slim model)?

As an example:
I owned
2 PS1 (first one broke eventually and needed replacing)
2 PS2s (both original size, got a newer revision later)
2 PS3s (Original one, later replaced by the Slim)
1 launch PS4 so far (but will eventually be replaced by a Pro or ProSlim)

I dont exactly buy multiple versions of the same console because i am some nut. I did it because the launch model typically broke down eventually (wear and tear). Then the Slims became attractive due to lower energy consumption and noise. Since we are relying on sale figures based on shipped numbers and tracking institutes, I'd imagine that quite a few of these consoles are sold to the same consumer. Even if there is some overlap, i still would guess the real active or sale per person figure to be at least 25% lower than the raw *this console has sold x million times number*.

I also recall the X360 having the RRoD fault. All those replaced units - were these ever counted back on the sales numbers? I would think not.

Then many that bought a PS3 for its Bluray capability (maybe even Xbox owners).

Luckily, console vendors earn their profits through software sales. The console figure numbers are (above a certain point) more down for bragging rights.

Evenso, in this gen - i cant quite imagine why someone would buy both the X1 and a PS4. Maybe some few, maybe cause they decided to switch, but to actively use both? I couldnt think of why.

PS4 has like 50% more games available overall. It has a stronger exclusive lineup for anyone without a specific fetish for Halo and Gears.
Yeah but all the main AAA 3rd party games are available on both. So I don't consider either one of them worth buying just because of the exclusives...Nintendo is the only console maker left that you can really make that argument for imo.

Amd reveals a Exascale Mega Apu
According to this paper, AMD wants to get around this "large die issue" by making their Exascale APUs using a large number of smaller dies, which are connected via a silicon interposer. This is similar to how AMD GPUs connect to HBM memory and can, in theory, be used to connect two or more GPU, or in this case CPU and GPU dies, to create what is effectively a larger final chip using several smaller parts.

In the image below you can see that this APU uses eight different CPU dies/chiplets and eight different GPU dies/chiplets to create an exascale APU that can effectively act like a single unit. If these CPU chiplets use AMD's Ryzen CPU architecture they will have a minimum of 4 CPU cores, giving this hypothetical APU a total of 32 CPU cores and 64 threads.

This new APU type will also use onboard memory, using a next-generation memory type that can be stacked directly onto a GPU die, rather than be stacked beside a GPU like HBM. Combine this with an external bank of memory (perhaps DDR4) and AMD's new GPU memory architecture and you will have a single APU that can work with a seemingly endless amount of memory and easily compute using both CPU and GPU resources using HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture).

In this chip both the CPU and GPU portions can use the packages onboard memory as well as an external memory, opening up a lot of interesting possibilities for the HPC market, possibilities that neither Intel or Nvidia can provide themselves.https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic_paper/1

Could this be the building block for ps5/xbox 2 generation?
21065703899l.png

The thing with balance is, it doesn't really mean anything. It's just a PR statement for skirting around facts.

Well it does mean something. As everything is balanced against a mythical game (a theoretical conglomeration of a selection of released games, modified by a conglomeration of wishes by some number of developers) or workload that only exists in theory when designing hardware. Both AMD and Nvidia do this, and both have different ideas of what makes for a balanced GPU.

Throw in everything else including the CPU and that balance becomes even more mythical and unachievable.

IE - The PS4, PS4-P and XBO are all incredibly unbalanced hardware configurations for any given game running on them. More unbalanced for some games than others. This includes exclusives. I'm sure fan's of each console will claim that each is perfectly balanced for their exclusives, but that just isn't the case. There's always going to be a situation where X game could have used more of Y resource and doesn't take enough advantage of Z resource, yet makes good use of S resource, etc.

However, I'm sure that each console was pretty well balanced for whatever target it had during the design phase. :p

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jay
I get the feeling MS is in a bit of jam in regards to the messaging for the Scorpio.

If they go with the same message as Sony are doing with Pro, it's just a "minor" tune up for the hardcore with cash to burn. Then why would/should anybody care more about Scorpio than they did/do for Pro?

If they go with a new generation type of message, then the boost might not be significant enough for people to care.

Looking forward to see how they attack this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back