Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah they have moved to 2pm on sunday? so that's moved up half a day?
Indeed.
Looks like they took a page from the Sony playbook. E3 was never opened to the public in the past, so no fans would enter the theatre, just journalists.
I think they wanted to open it up to the public this run around, have a longer event, bigger event.
Longer event is more likely if they have full intention of mixing Scorpio with their standard 1.5hr event.
Or they couldn't afford the Monday time slot ;) who knows.

Well I guess details are going to be ho hum closed until E3. I was hoping for something by Mar-May.
Big deal though, I'm glad they are going hard with marketing Scorpio.

That's my point; 1K does not exist, at least not in a way that it refers to 1080P. Unless there is some kind of special 1:1 aspect ratio format which I am not aware of.

Looking at the render again, it is just that; a render; way too small to be an actual Xbox motherboard, compared to the 1 and 1S.

You haven't mentioned the RAM.

Phil Spencer: Yeah, I know.

What's the RAM?

Phil Spencer: Kareem (Choudhry, Xbox head engineer) went through some of the specs in the video that's probably all we're gonna talk about.

Some eagle-eyed people reckon they've worked it out based on a snapshot of the motherboard.

Phil Spencer: They've done a good job. We've seen that. We knew that would happen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

Tommy McClain

Oh No!! OH NOOO!!!!! 12 GB is the amount of RAM in all Xbox One dev kits :'-( Please tell me this is not true!!!
Xbox 360 had 1GB of RAM...
I am afraid the E3 2016 (18month before release) motherboard render could have been that of a Scorpio dev kit.....

Prepare for the worst guys :(

Oh No!! OH NOOO!!!!! 12 GB is the amount of RAM in all Xbox One dev kits :'-( Please tell me this is not true!!!
I am afraid the E3 2016 (18month before release) motherboard render could have been that of a Scorpio dev kit.....

XBO SDK kits have the same RAM as retail.

uhhh....what are you making this statement based on??

Highly skeptical that Microsoft would use and then re-use a concept render in marketing that would mislead speculation about the device...

...the higher-ups at Xbox must know by now the 12GB number being widely speculated on the internet since last e3. Would be quite dumb to double down on that image if it is something different (less)...

Highly skeptical that Microsoft would use and then re-use a concept render in marketing that would mislead speculation about the device...

...the higher-ups at Xbox must know by now the 12GB number being widely speculated on the internet since last e3. Would be quite dumb to double down on that image if it is something different (less)...

If you look at the re-used image you will see they blacked out the memory chips...

That's a rather inane stretch of the imagination.

Anyways, they still have the trace routing, and unless you're going with some janky asymmetrical setup, you've still got 3 lined up with the APU at the top of the image, which is mirrored at the bottom, then symmetry in the bottom right means there's 4 (one hidden in darkness) on the orthogonal side of the APU, and finally the 1 chip that's at a diagonal showing,

So that's either 11 chips or simply 12.

There was no mention in the leaked Scorpio white paper regarding additional RAM.
If the motherboard footage (with 12GB) indeed is of the final consumer hardware and it was so far along already, I secretly hope they can launch right after E3!!

Some of your example aren't CPU related and many of this games are able to run on older consoles with some compromises without changing their mechanism too much. We already have great games with great physics on 360/PS3 and also I don't consider lower number of players in MP deal breaker as it wasn't in BF4 for example.
A development paradigm this generation is to fit all cpu code in the L2 cache in order to minimize memory contention with the gpu. A downside of unified memory. With memory makers hoping to bring down costs of next gen technologies like HBM hopefully in future consoles memory contention plays less of limiting factor for developers who are really pushing gpu bandwidith/visuals so not to be blocked from using bandwidth intensive code on the cpu such as complex physics & AI.

Re-watched the video and they only mentioned GPU and memory bandwidth, I believe this is because they want a few surprises up their sleeve for the reveal. 12GB would leave them with almost double the amount of RAM available to developers compared to PS4 and Pro. Think Ultra textures instead of Medium for the PS4 and Pro. It would be a HUGE difference, especially in screenshots, where it really counts for comparative purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back