Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs that's currently the most believable for GAF right now according to leaks and rumors.

8 core Jagaur at 2.1 GHz. Increased CPU used solely for OS performance improvement.

12GB GDDR5, 6 GB reserved for OS.

Custom Polaris GPU, 2.9 teraflop 32 bit, 5.8 teraflops 16 bit. 32 ROPs. 10% of GPU power reserved for OS and rendering OS at 4k. Extra 5-10% of GPU reserved for enhanced Kinect 3.0 calculations required for VR.

4k native is really dynamic sparse rendering with help of custom GPU features. Looks indistinguishable in motion. These people made DirectX after all.

Needs constant online connection. No used games can be played.

$499 comes with Kinect 3.0, KB&M.

For Sony, middle generational refresh is to milk the consumer base with a slightly more powerful console.
MS however, goes into the middle generational refresh to reclaim the throne, and to actually build a console far more powerful than the predecessor. With PS4 Pro, if you use a 1080P screen and sit away far enough, it's the same as PS4, no actually it will have a much worse framerate in a lot of cases.
Scorpio will be a fully new generation, just disguised as a middle generational refresh. They will use it to win back consumers trust, and prove to the world that MS is in it for the gamers, while Sony just wants to make a quick buck.

Specs that's currently the most believable for GAF right now according to leaks and rumors.

8 core Jagaur at 2.1 GHz. Increased CPU used solely for OS performance improvement.

Custom Polaris GPU, 2.9 teraflop 32 bit, 5.8 teraflops 16 bit. 32 ROPs. 10% of GPU power reserved for OS and rendering OS at 4k. Extra 5-10% of GPU reserved for enhanced Kinect 3.0 calculations required for VR.

4k native is really dynamic sparse rendering with help of custom GPU features. Looks indistinguishable in motion. These people made DirectX after all.

Smells like PS fanboys FUDing. I'll be extremely surprised if this is true. Why the hell would the OS need 6 GBs?! Why would Scorpio be 2.9 TF when 4Pro is already 4?? How does that tie in with MS saying they looked at PS4 Pro specs and decided that wasn't enough, if they're just going to roll out a less capable machine?

Completely illogical and unbelievable.

I forgot to mention that they're reviving their TV push. 343 and The Coalition are tasked to spend 50% of their man power with helping create Halo, Gears, and Forza TV series, exclusive to XBL. First party cutscenes are all mandated to be live-action only.
Common. Lol. I get a lot of guys at GAF are young or may not have that much knowledge into hardware, but this sounds like comedy hour with John Tesh.

That's hilarious. Boy does power rule.

But that's one way to make it less powerful than competition, albeit they stretched past China.

Yeah....... 320GB/s memory bandwidth for...... 3.2 Tflop gpu & 2.1ghz Jaguar.
Wait. Lemme guess. its bits not byte. 320Gbits/s aka 40GB/s. No more esram, just DDR3.

They promote Scorpios 4K potential and dub it the 1st true 4K console. Must mean 4K bluray & 4K OG Xbox games only.

Last edited:
You'll have to link me to prove that. What PS3 equivalent plays high torment levels at 30fps? Diablo 3 could hit some pretty low framerates on PS3 even without the crazy bonuses of armour Sets and the newer skills.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/Diablo-III-System-Requirements

The minimum requirements for PC haven't changed since the release of the game. That was updated 3 months ago. I've seen people run it on slower hardware than that as well, albeit with all graphical options turned down. And that's with a relatively inefficient Dx9 renderer compared to the closer to the metal programming on PS3 and X360. The PS3/X360 versions also played at higher quality settings than the minimum on PC.

ROS didn't change the minimum, and hence ROS was also released on PS3 and X360. No patch since ROS has increased the minimum requirements. What they have done recently is offer users on PC an alternative Dx11 rendering path in addition to the existing Dx9 rendering path. IE - nothing has changed with D3 that would make it not run well on the same hardware that it could run on at launch. However, things have been added to take advantage of relatively minor updates in technology.

ROS for console was also within the first year of the PS4/XBO, hence, it made business sense to continue supporting a separate codebase for 2 additional legacy platforms. So in total there were 6 supported platforms for ROS. PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, PC and Mac. That's a lot of platforms to support. It shouldn't be surprising that they would drop active support for PS3/X360 as soon as they felt the active install base for those machines was too low to justify supporting 2 additional platforms.

In theory if both Sony and MS were to go with overlapping console generations, they'd only have to support 3 platforms whenever a new console is released. PS, XB-PC (assuming games on XB at some point become just UWP versions of games that run on both PC and Xbox), and Mac.

The XB-PC platform will be interested to see. Blizzard has never sold their games in digital form anywhere other than through their own service on PC. I wonder if that would change if UWP applications became the defacto way to release games on Xbox or if they'd prevent Microsoft from allowing the game to be used on PC.

Regards,
SB

That is not even close to the "GAF consensus". There are far more who have deluded themselves into believing Scorpio has Zen and and full Vega and HBM than believe it has a 2.9TF GPU.

I don't see why anyone here really should much care what any of the fanboy contingents on GAF "think". Unless it involves actual new information, what happens on GAF can stay there.

I don't see why anyone here really should much care what any of the fanboy contingents on GAF "think". Unless it involves actual new information, what happens on GAF can stay there.

Pretty much. Any "information" is basically people taking a best guess. Or to put it another way, we could be just as accurate by putting post it notes on the walls with various hardware configurations and throwing a dart at it.

Speculation is fun and can prove interesting, but people just need to remember that it's all just speculation.

Regards,
SB

Here my hope list...

HDMI 2.1 with VRR support on every title.
No bigger than the original XB1.
Maintains the quietness the Xbox one is known for now.
=< $499.00.
a couple of titles including a first party flagship that makes u go "wow!!!"
Controllers with built in mics for voice control

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/Diablo-III-System-Requirements

The minimum requirements for PC haven't changed since the release of the game. That was updated 3 months ago. I've seen people run it on slower hardware than that as well, albeit with all graphical options turned down. And that's with a relatively inefficient Dx9 renderer compared to the closer to the metal programming on PS3 and X360. The PS3/X360 versions also played at higher quality settings than the minimum on PC.
I've seen vids on YT showing it run, at poor framerates largely (although I can't pin down a decent PS360 like spec), but only on early levels and not with all the gear and nonsense. I don't believe a minimum spec machine can run full-fat Torment 10+ levels with all the stuff hapenning. Again, PS3 started slowing down already and that was without 200 mobs affected by locusts etc. But this doesn't really help the topic so I'll drop it. Feel free to PM me to prove me wrong!

There are certainly other games not possible on PS360 that required a generational advance.

I think there is a possibilty that there will not be a 6TF GPU in Scorpio, at least not what we expect..
I think MS purposely misled the public on this one. ZEN and 320GB/sec will be wasted on what we think is a 6TF GPU...

Which is why they didn't state the fp32 performance, but rather...
The fp64 performance!!!!

So there is a really big chance that it's actually a 12TF GPU!
It really makes sense, ZEN is as powerful as the most expensive intel i7, you don't want a 6TF to go with that.

Also, MS PROMISED, and they have to tell the truth because of their investors and such, TRUE 4K gaming, instead of PS4 its fake 1440*1080 sub 30fps fakery trying to pass for TRUE 4K.
And 6TF fp32 sure as hell ain't gonna cut it.

I have know idea who's being serious and who's joking.
There's no way that it's going to be either 3 or 12tf machine, what's going on?
I think I'm missing the joke or something.

They never said a true 4k next gen graphics machine.
They said 4k at x1 level graphics which 6tf can do, and probably can do a bit more. If it has more memory, etc.

I have know idea who's being serious and who's joking.
There's no way that it's going to be either 3 or 12tf machine, what's going on?
I think I'm missing the joke or something.

They never said a true 4k next gen graphics machine.
They said 4k at x1 level graphics which 6tf can do, and probably can do a bit more. If it has more memory, etc.
Nobody here believes its 12/3TFLOP, they are being sarcastic
project-scorpio-features.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back