"marchitecture"

I often see this word in news about 3D hardware from The Inqu, and sometimes elsewhere. (that's why I ask this on this section)

marchitecture : what does that mean? That's a neologism, right?
Uglyest word ever! Why not just saying "architecture"?

Yeah it's certainly not clear in that article. But if you read the INQ long enough you will get their meaning.

I think it has actually become a branding thing for them (i.e. that they think of it that way and engage in it as a matter of intentional policy) that they coin words and nicknames and ride them to death. . Chipzilla, marchitecture, etc.

Blazkowicz_ said:
trinibwoy said:
Yeah it's certainly not clear in that article. But if you read the INQ long enough you will get their meaning.

but who would want to read the Inq that long?
:LOL:

prolly most of ppl here....but they wont admit even if you torture them...
every topic where is link to INQ story has something like "yes, i know its INQ, but what if its true" part. :LOL:

In compilers, marchitecture is typically a shortened form of micro architcture. All this means is a set of processors that have the same instruction set.

The Inquirer's vernacular gives me the impression it's written by 12 year olds.

No, most 12 year olds are more coherent. I just wish they hired someone who understood basic grammar.

I agree, that term is painful to read -- it hurts my brain.

IgnorancePersonified said:
I like the word and find it fitting in an industry over burdened with bullshit marketing.
There are few industries not burdened with such marketting. The larger the industry, the worse marketting becomes.

IgnorancePersonified said:
I like the word and find it fitting in an industry over burdened with bullshit marketing.

I agree, and I like the Inquirer in general as well. Chipzilla, Itanic, and the rest of it make make me smile every now and then. The fact that their site isn't patrolled by any sort of grammar nazi oversight just makes it that much more appealing in an era where half the sites and forums I visit are brought down to their knees by posters complaining about grammatical mistakes.

I mean, how in the world can the Lords of Grammar and the L337 people coexist on these same forums? Both are a scourge that should be wiped out. ;) Anandtech, which I otherwise like, is particularly plagued.

Anyway, Fuad Abazovic, one of the writers of the articles people on these boards would probably find the most relevant (graphics), is Eastern European and English is definitely NOT a language he has mastered yet. But he is getting better.

I kind of like the Inquirererer, they're not scared to run with stuff that is totally wrong and impossible!

Besides, they're right sometimes and when they are they're generally first...not to mention even when they're wrong they sure do provoke a lot of good discussions all over the web.

I like 'em, they shake the tree. 8)

I just figured out that in english marchitecture is pronounced "markitecture" and not "marshitecture" :D
Moreover I guess "market" and "markit" would sound about the same.
Damn pronunciation
whistle.gif
. I read once that english is actually hard to learn because of that (for the rest it's easy)

digitalwanderer said:
I kind of like the Inquirererer, they're not scared to run with stuff that is totally wrong and impossible!

Besides, they're right sometimes and when they are they're generally first...not to mention even when they're wrong they sure do provoke a lot of good discussions all over the web.

I like 'em, they shake the tree. 8)

Translation: They're a lot like most holy books, they can be enlightening, just don't take them too seriously. :D Right?

xbdestroya said:
Chipzilla, Itanic, and the rest of it make make me smile every now and then.
Were these coined by them too? I've been seeing both on much, much more respectable sites then TheInq for quite a while now. Anyway, those are OK and rather fitting, but marchitecture is just... cutesy. I hate cutesy.

anaqer said:
xbdestroya said:
Chipzilla, Itanic, and the rest of it make make me smile every now and then.
Were these coined by them too? I've been seeing both on much, much more respectable sites then TheInq for quite a while now.

All these were introduced by The Register, back in the dark ages. Maybe by Mike Magee himself, but anyway they got transferred to his new rag when he started it.

Back