SSD Buying Advice

with my 32 gigs of ram windows puts a 2 gig pagefile on my c: ssd
it recommends 5 gigs but i have set it to system managed and as i said it only eats 2 gigs

Windows has a tendency to use a swap file no matter how much ram you have.
when I had 32gb of ram as an experiment and I thought a swap file would be responsible for a lot of writes on my ssd I disabled virtual memory and have never had an issue

It used to be the case when you want to use hibernation you need to have swap enabled. I'm not sure if it's still the case though.
Some might argue that hibernation is also bad for SSD (it potentially writes the entire memory into the SSD everytime you put your computer in hibernation) but since normally people only do this a few times a day at most, I guess it's ok.

What are you doing that requires that much memory?
I used to do photo editing, video editing, gaming, and chrome on 4GB Sony Vaio tap 11.

Then on PC with just 8GB of RAM. But on top of those kind of work, also fiddled with large maps with QGIS and processing aerial photos into ortho maps.

It used to be the case when you want to use hibernation you need to have swap enabled. I'm not sure if it's still the case though.
Some might argue that hibernation is also bad for SSD (it potentially writes the entire memory into the SSD everytime you put your computer in hibernation) but since normally people only do this a few times a day at most, I guess it's ok.
Yeah, swap still has to be enabled to a minor extent.

Hibernation file sizes are far reduced in the modern era. Windows Vista introduced, among a ton of other obvious I/O and kernel improvements, a serious upgrade to hibernation file behavior. Two specific things that made a ton of sense:
  • They stopped directly memory-mapping the hibernation file so they could skip shit that doesn't make sense (eg zeroed pages, caching structures, dirty pages that OS garbage collection hadn't reaped yet)
  • Now that they had a properly threaded I/O stack, they could stream-compress the stuff that did need to be written to the hibernation file.
The result was a significantly smaller hibernation file, which also resulted in significantly faster hibernate and resume speeds. Win7 and Win8 continued tweaking the recipe with slightly better (more threading support) compression algorithms and continued work on their storage stack.

Win10 finally gave us Fast Startup, which hibernates only the stuff outside of user space. As such, the write-to and read-from disk can be very small, and can actually cover less content than the physical size of the hibernation file itself (eg the file could be 10GBytes but the hibernation process may only write 1.2GBytes to successfully complete.)

Reading this thread almost makes me want to put the Crucial C300 that I got in 2010 back into the machine. It was my main C: drive up until I replaced it with an NVME back in 2020 or so. Currently it's in a USB enclosure. That drive was an absolute workhorse and represented a significant improvement on the SSDs that I'd gotten in 2006, 2007 and 2008 (all of which had absolutely horrendous write stalls).

Regards,
SB

Win10 finally gave us Fast Startup, which hibernates only the stuff outside of user space. As such, the write-to and read-from disk can be very small, and can actually cover less content than the physical size of the hibernation file itself (eg the file could be 10GBytes but the hibernation process may only write 1.2GBytes to successfully complete.)
this brings way too much problems to me and to my youtube viewer. thankfully microsoft still make shutdown.exe -f -r -t 1 do normal shutdown instead of fast startup.

btw fast startup with SSD is pretty much useless IMO. windows 11 already boot super fast

this brings way too much problems to me and to my youtube viewer. thankfully microsoft still make shutdown.exe -f -r -t 1 do normal shutdown instead of fast startup.

btw fast startup with SSD is pretty much useless IMO. windows 11 already boot super fast
I think if you hold down shift when you click shutdown it does a normal shutdown.

I looked at the guide you posted and I dont have the "Turn on Fast Startup option" it's supposed to be the same for windows 10
1699687750470.png

Edit: turns out it's not available if you have hibernate disabled to get the option you have to type: powercfg /hibernate on in Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin).

Last edited:
That's different to fast startup.

Fast boot is fast bios boot to OS, while fast startup is fast OS startup.

Basically the sequence is fast boot, then fast startup
What does holding shift and clicking shutdown do? I thought it makes it not cache the kernel so that it actually does a full shutdown. Which I think is also what happens when you click Restart.

Also I noticed in MS documentation if you use the /t parameter set to anything >0 it implies the /f so you don't have to do both.
/t <xxx>Sets the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds. The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30. If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is implied.

OOh, thats kinda bad.
We have a bunch of servers that should be allowed to clean close their databases before reboot & I've been told to use /t 60 to give at least 60s not at most :unsure:
There is additional software that checks on boot for clean close & reliably restores last hourly backup before opening & most should close within that 60s but hmm.

OOh, thats kinda bad.
We have a bunch of servers that should be allowed to clean close their databases before reboot & I've been told to use /t 60 to give at least 60s not at most :unsure:
There is additional software that checks on boot for clean close & reliably restores last hourly backup before opening & most should close within that 60s but hmm.
The solution is simple and at the same time counter-intuitive...

shutdown /r /t 0

Yes, restart right now, but also dont' force it. Your server database will take as long as it needs...

The solution is simple and at the same time counter-intuitive...

shutdown /r /t 0

Yes, restart right now, but also dont' force it. Your server database will take as long as it needs...
If you don't specify /f or /t (>0) does it force shutdown anyway? If so I wonder what is the point of /f?

The /f argument permits a multi-user environment to cancel the shutdown, or for a later command (during the countdown) to issue a shutdown /a to abort it.

Back