SSD Buying Advice

I really think you guys are focused on the wrong issues here.

A spinning drive that isn't being actively used makes essentially no noise. At most, if you hold your entire head near the case, you might hear the very slight whirring of the motor keeping the drive running; modern drives use far better bearings and reduced air pressure (or even helium) within the platter chamber to reduce drag, which also reduces noise and further reduces power consumption. Trying to force a power-down of the drive isn't likely to save you more than a watt or two of total power draw after it's spun down, only to then spend double-digit watts of power just to get it spun back up again. Modern spinning drives are REALLY power efficient when they're only spinning.

If your interest is reducing noise, most modern spinners provide a SMART setting to reduce access noise. This is done by slowing the magnetic actuators which move the heads of the drive. The slower speeds create less clattering noise during seeks, and as a byproduct, also consume less power.

CN: Your GPU consumes more power in 100msec of gaming than your spinning drive does in ten seconds. Don't sweat the small stuff.

EDIT: if you find yourself in the market for a high capacity, performance-oriented spinner, I strongly recommend the Seagate EXOS line above all others. They're a full quality enterprise drive which can be found at nearly commodity prices.

Last edited:

A spinning drive that isn't being actively used makes essentially no noise. At most, if you hold your entire head near the case, you might hear the very slight whirring of the motor keeping the drive running; modern drives use far better bearings and reduced air pressure (or even helium) within the platter chamber to reduce drag, which also reduces noise and further reduces power consumption. Trying to force a power-down of the drive isn't likely to save you more than a watt or two of total power draw after it's spun down, only to then spend double-digit watts of power just to get it spun back up again. Modern spinning drives are REALLY power efficient when they're only spinning.

If your interest is reducing noise, most modern spinners provide a SMART setting to reduce access noise. This is done by slowing the magnetic actuators which move the heads of the drive. The slower speeds create less clattering noise during seeks, and as a byproduct, also consume less power.

CN: Your GPU consumes more power in 100msec of gaming than your spinning drive does in ten seconds. Don't sweat the small stuff.

EDIT: if you find yourself in the market for a high capacity, performance-oriented spinner, I strongly recommend the Seagate EXOS line above all others. They're a full quality enterprise drive which can be found at nearly commodity prices.

Power draw wasn't a concern for me, only noise. My 4TB HDD wasn't anything special but it was only about 3 years old and I could certainly hear it clearly when just spinning at idle. If there was any background noise then I agree it's a non-concern but I often use my PC in a fairly silent room and in those instances the whirring was clearly audible - very quiet, but audible. I want to not be able to tell if my PC is powered on or not when it's idle - with the same noise levels for no-gaming and light gaming scenario's.

Yeah, in my Fractal Design case, I can't hear any of my HDDs (8x mix of Hitachi and WD drives, I guess they are all WD now though ... :p) unless they are spinning up after being idle for an extended time. Once they've spun up they are again inaudible except for extremely muted seeks (almost inaudible) when accessing files. By far the loudest noise in my case that is audible is the GPU fans followed by my noctua CPU fan, followed by the Seasonic PSU fan which are only audible at night when there's almost no ambient noise outside.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, in my Fractal Design case, I can't hear any of my HDDs (8x mix of Hitachi and WD drives, I guess they are all WD now though ... :p) unless they are spinning up after being idle for an extended time. Once they've spun up they are again inaudible except for extremely muted seeks (almost inaudible) when accessing files. By far the loudest noise in my case that is audible is the GPU fans followed by my noctua CPU fan, followed by the Seasonic PSU fan which are only audible at night when there's almost no ambient noise outside.

Regards,
SB

They're probably not audible because they're being drowned out by those other fans you mention but 8x spinning HDD's would certainly be audible in isolation.

Both my GPU and PSU fans turn off under low load while my CPU and case fans (all big, high quality ones) are being run at around 25% until temps hit about 70 so as long as it stays below that, it is literally silent, as in you would have to have your ear pressed against the side in a silent room and strain to hear anything. Under those circumstances even one spinning HDD is obvious.

They're probably not audible because they're being drowned out by those other fans you mention but 8x spinning HDD's would certainly be audible in isolation.

Both my GPU and PSU fans turn off under low load while my CPU and case fans (all big, high quality ones) are being run at around 25% until temps hit about 70 so as long as it stays below that, it is literally silent, as in you would have to have your ear pressed against the side in a silent room and strain to hear anything. Under those circumstances even one spinning HDD is obvious.

I have Noctua fans spinning at the lowest RPM possible. Honestly it's only really the GPU fan that I hear and only at night when not gaming. SPL here at night is under 10 db when the PC isn't on. You can hear someone breathing from across the room. :p

Regards,
SB

I have Noctua fans spinning at the lowest RPM possible. Honestly it's only really the GPU fan that I hear and only at night when not gaming. SPL here at night is under 10 db when the PC isn't on. You can hear someone breathing from across the room. :p

Regards,
SB

Aren't you using a GTX 1070? I can absolutely understand that GPU (which I had previously) drowning out any HDD noise. Personally I didn't realise my HDD was audible until I had both a PSU and GPU that turn the fans off under low usage and then manually stopping every other fan in my system - what was left was the HDD. Since then I got better fans which as noted above I'm also running at effectively the lowest possible RPM (about 25%) until load ramps up. I'm using a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE on the CPU side which is about as good as it gets on air.

Aren't you using a GTX 1070? I can absolutely understand that GPU (which I had previously) drowning out any HDD noise. Personally I didn't realise my HDD was audible until I had both a PSU and GPU that turn the fans off under low usage and then manually stopping every other fan in my system - what was left was the HDD. Since then I got better fans which as noted above I'm also running at effectively the lowest possible RPM (about 25%) until load ramps up. I'm using a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE on the CPU side which is about as good as it gets on air.

I was, I'm now using a Gigabyte RX 6800.

For noise, it's more about the case you use. It's one reason I went with the Fractal Design case without a side window (windows will let more noise escape vs a side panel with sound mitigating panels) or top vents (horrible for noise control).

Regards,
SB

Back