SSD Buying Advice

Well yeah we run a task scheduler with /r /f /t 60 on most servers and on those ones with databases we omit the /f

Well yeah we run a task scheduler with /r /f /t 60 on most servers and on those ones with databases we omit the /f
Isn't that's the same as run?

Iirc there's a shutdown feature on task scheduler that didn't use the shutdown command line thing

maybe the speed will be useful at some point.
It will as there are games being released that require a ssd
Hopefully ssd's will become cheaper than hdd's I dont see why not after all they a a couple of chips on a circuit board while a hdd contains a lot of Aluminium plus Neodymium for the magnets plus an electric motor
also they are generally sealed under a low pressure or Helium atmosphere.

Hopefully ssd's will become cheaper than hdd's I dont see why not after all they a a couple of chips on a circuit board while a hdd contains a lot of Aluminium plus Neodymium for the magnets plus an electric motor
also they are generally sealed under a low pressure or Helium atmosphere.
i just got an 18 tb hdd because it was the cheapest one per TB

Yea but so far it doesn't much matter what SSD you have. I think even a decent SATA SSD is sufficient. Not sure if this is going to change.

The one I ordered is one of the faster PCIe4 ones. I wanted to get in the same ballpark as the consoles which are very good on that front. Especially the PS5.

@homerdog question about your ssd : If your going to add a heatsink or you board has built in heatsinks should you remove the sticker ?
It appears with gen 5 high performance ssd's unless you have a monster heatsink they throttle and you lose about 50% of your performance (maybe other drives dont suffer from this)

Last edited:
@homerdog question about your ssd : If your going to add a heatsink or you board has built in heatsinks should you remove the sticker ?
It appears with gen 5 high performance ssd's unless you have a monster heatsink they throttle and you lose about 50% of your performance (maybe other drives dont suffer from this)
The one I ordered is gen4. I don't think my mobo supports gen5 drives in any of the M.2 slots.

@Davros you still happy with your "new" 8TB SSD? I'm kinda wishing I had picked one up when they were on uber-sale. Such a great price for so much storage...

ea but so far it doesn't much matter what SSD you have
How I'm organised : If I install an old game it goes on sata hdd, new games go on sata ssd and nvme drives are reserved for anything that really needs the extra performance
my Nvme has something called gaming mode 2.0. According to google "Gaming Mode 2.0 detects gameplay and turns on features in the firmware like Adaptive Thermal Management and Predictive Loading for faster performance."
No idea if it's a load of bollox or not...
I don't think my mobo supports gen5 drives in any of the M.2 slots.
As in dont run at gen5 speed or dont work at all ?

@Albuquerque - Yes but a little sad that you couldnt get an nvme for the same price, and the same money would have gotten me 16tb of traditional HDD capacity...
you could get 4tb nvme for a similar price or 6tb if you go 3x 2tb nvme

Last edited:
The unfortunate challenge with NVMe slots today is they're expensive, at least in terms of commodity motherboard support. Most non-professional motherboards today have two m.2 slots, a scant few might have three. In order to do four x 2TB drives, you'll end up buying a riser which will take up at least an 8x lane card if you want full speed, and most motherboards are down to so few PCIe lanes that it will downspeed your GPU to 8x as a result. Ultimately the performance suffers somehow...

I think you probably did the right thing with your 8TB SATA drive, at least in a general sense. The overwhelming majority of games will not need the performance of NVMe, yet would still load significantly faster on your SSD than even a high end spinning platter drive.

The new SSD is working good but I noticed a problem with my old one running slow. It was 91% full so I deleted a bunch of stuff. Now it's a little over half full but the sequential write speed in CrystalDiskMark is around 200MBps. On the new drive it's over 6000MBps.

I've forced TRIM on the old SSD but the speed didn't go up much. Still less than 300MBps. It's a Corsair Force MP600 1TB. I think it should be in the thousands. Read speeds are fine.

BTW if you type "<"300MBps without the quotes this happens: :love:00MBps.

Edit: Nevermind I guess, this must be a problem with CrystalDiskMark. AS SSD Benchmark shows 3362.16MBps sequential write.

Last edited:
The unfortunate challenge with NVMe slots today is they're expensive, at least in terms of commodity motherboard support. Most non-professional motherboards today have two m.2 slots, a scant few might have three. In order to do four x 2TB drives, you'll end up buying a riser which will take up at least an 8x lane card if you want full speed, and most motherboards are down to so few PCIe lanes that it will downspeed your GPU to 8x as a result. Ultimately the performance suffers somehow...

I think you probably did the right thing with your 8TB SATA drive, at least in a general sense. The overwhelming majority of games will not need the performance of NVMe, yet would still load significantly faster on your SSD than even a high end spinning platter drive.

100% to all of this. Both my NVMe slots are now full (4TB + 1TB). I also have an old 256GB SATA SSD in there too but I'm now down to my last few hundred Gig and starting to have to move games between drives to accommodate née installs and even patches.

I'll soon be at the dreaded point of having to uninstall games to make space for new ones so was considering picking up an 8TB SATA SSD for all the none performance orientated stuff but the cheapest I could find was around £450. Still too much for something that's nothing more than a convenience I'm afraid.

Regarding the HDD option, I do have a 4TB one available but it's disconnected because spinning disks make too much noise for me. At idle or low-moderate load my PC is silent. A spinning HDD is very noticeable in that scenario.

Noooo, the Horror

ps: regarding Hdd's when not in use they will power down so they should only be noisy when your running a game off them

It'll only stop spinning after about 20 mins of being completely inactive. Even a background system process can kick it off again. I used to have a little utility that could force a power down but it would often just randomly power back up on its own, and of course the delay in accessing the disk when you want to after a power down can be frustrating as it slowly whirs back to life.

you can change that 20min timeout plus if there is just games on there and you dont have anything that would auto update them like steam running they should really not power back on. and powering on isnt that bad it will just add another 5 seconds to the time a game takes to run and how many games do you play a day I generally play 2 or 3
ps: if something is making it power on try swapping the sata port it's on with a ssd so the system sees the ssd as disk 0 on not the hdd

Back