Last of Us [PS4]

is it just me or there is something not right about the 30 fps mode, it is super choppy, worse than ps3.

Yeah, it does feel super choppy. Almost feels like the 30 fps mode was made worse to promote the benefits of 60 fps (which is of course nonsense). It's a real night-and-day difference when you compare it to, let's say, Watch Dogs' buttery smooth 30fps refresh.

Any advice on difficulty? I think I played it on "normal" on the PS3 and started my game last night on normal as well. While playing the PS3 game, I felt that ammo and health are quite low at all times, so in order to give a bit more enjoyment, I figured I might stick to that difficulty.

Any advice?

Just finished it a couple of weeks ago on Normal, it was a bit hard at the beginning and you run out of ammo but it actually gets pretty easy towards the end of the game. Didn't even use the
flamethrower
once as I was saving it up for some particularly difficult section I imagined would be coming lol.

lol im the same. i was saving it for "oh im sure after this i will meet super hard boss" but no, that weapon left unused lol

btw i also played on normal.

Yeah, it does feel super choppy. Almost feels like the 30 fps mode was made worse to promote the benefits of 60 fps (which is of course nonsense). It's a real night-and-day difference when you compare it to, let's say, Watch Dogs' buttery smooth 30fps refresh.

Or Maybe it feels worse because now we have the opportunity to toggle back and forth between 30 and 60 fps which makes the difference stand out even more? Usually we just get one or the other.
And also I've been thinking that with ps4 we've been pretty spoiled in terms of fps, which makes the 30fps option even more 'unusual'. Psychologically.
Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

There's definitely something off with the 30fps mode...unless maybe if you boot with 30fps already selected it might be ok (not tried that) - but for me 30fps is fine with AC & InFamous but for this it's a juddery effect - very offputting.

maybe it have wrong frametime? like what happen in all PC game with AMD crossfire or if you use old driver before frametime fix.

Um, I already explained it. ;) 30 fps on PS4 is doubled up 60 fps frames. The motion blur is half the length of the 30 fps PS3 version. That's why DF or whoever found. My Bitch is also probably correct with the comparison making the difference feel more pronounced.

Um, I already explained it. ;) 30 fps on PS4 is doubled up 60 fps frames. The motion blur is half the length of the 30 fps PS3 version. That's why DF or whoever found. My Bitch is also probably correct with the comparison making the difference feel more pronounced.

sorry i missed that post, but can you explain more about motion blur "half the length" or "half speed"? Is it like rendering rear view mirror in lower fps in forza? But how that make the game more judder-ey if the game itself running half fps (60 to 30).

yikes, so many question.

Motion blur at 30 fps would blur an object as much as the object moves in one frame. Let's say it's moving 300 pixels/second across the screen. Moblur at 30 fps would apply 1/30th of 300 px or 10 pixels of blur. Each frame would then connect where the object ended movement last frame with where it's beginning in the new frame.

Motion blur at 60 fps would blur that object 5 pixels and again join where it ends to where it begins in the next frame.

But 60 fps blur at 30 fps refresh is blurring 1/60th of the movement, or 5 pxs in the example, while the object is moving 1/30th of the movement, or ten pixels. The result is motion blur that only travels half the distance that the object does, and a clear, visual jump in position from where the object was to where it is in the next frame.

It's part of the fault with 24 fps cinema having 1/48th second shutters, and continuous shutters produce far more fluid motion. There's a link somewhere on this board regards alternative shutters, probably in a framerate thread.

thanks, i get it. So in 30 fps mode. the motion blur is not in sync. it ended too fast, it ended before the movement ends.

[blur]---------
[movement]

(do i get that correct?).

thanks, i get it. So in 30 fps mode. the motion blur is not in sync. it ended too fast, it ended before the movement ends.

[blur]---------
[movement]

(do i get that correct?).
I think so.

. = no blur, - = blur moving right to left. / = frame break

10 frames of 60 fps,

-----/-----/-----/-----/-----/-----/-----/-----/-----/-----

5 frames of 30 fps, . = no blur, - = blur

----------/----------/----------/----------/----------

5 frames of U4 30 fps

.....-----/.....-----/.....-----/.....-----/.....-----

I wish they would fix it. I think it's intentional to show the difference.
Probably not going to happen. They didn't intend to add 30 fps originally, and put it in there just as an easy extra (although the shadow quality improvement is a little curious). They create 30 fps just by doubling up each 60 fps frame. It may not be trivial to add a blur parameter that can change at different framerates, and it's not really in their best interests to do that.

I'm curious also who's choosing to play at 30 fps and why? Is 60 fps uncomfortable?

I tried the 30fps mode. IMO, people are just noticing how much worse 30fps compared to the smoothness of the 60fps mode. It to me doesnt feel better or worse than what the PS3 (or any other 3rd person game) feels like. It's certainly playable (as are all the other games that are native 30fps)... But while you have a 60fps version, why would anyone want to?

To convince yourself that better graphics at 30fps games are the way to go? :S

honestly since the game sold 1.5 millions on PS4 on day 1 I think they need to put a little effort into fixing this. This, shadow off set in 30 fps mode, and missing wrinkles on the char models all need to be fixed to call this the definitive version. I rather have the same shadow res in 30 fps as 60 fps but add some heavy shadow softening instead.

Did my best game yesterday on the MP. feel so much better and smooth to play in 60fps. I m glad they fixed the netcode. still some bugs online lots of players lagging...wierd stuff happening. hitbox is quite wierd sometimes...But still enjoyable. They should've tweaked the bow though cheated weapon as hell...I don't play with it as i m not good with it.
Would' ve loved to have some kind of survival mode with waves of clickers on some kind of co-op mode like they did in Uncharted 2.
Heard lots of people complaining the game is too slow paced on the MP...comparing it to call of duty...I tell them that's feels more like socom that COD.

2nbssjo.jpg

Back