Last of Us [PS4]

Well yeah, personally I think for such games its better they dont overdo it with ammo otherwise you will see the other side of the coin complaining that the game killed the survival element by offering too much ammunition.

There are other gameplay mechanics that can balance the accumulation of crazy high quantities of ammo (hello Fallout 3) this like giving ammo weight that slows you down or makes you noisier when moving around. Or limit the number of weapons that Joel can carry because I remember sneaking about with a 9mm, revolver, shorty, el diablo, shotgun, hunting rifle, flamethrower, assault rifle and a bow, not to mention molotov cocktails, nail bombs, smoke bombs plus a brick/bottle and melee weapon. Frankly, I couldn't even move with all that, let alone engage in meaningful combat ;)

Weight is an easily understood real and common gameplay mechanic that has consequences that are also easily understood and which still gives genuine player choice.

The game would start transforming into a shoot em up which is something we get way too much these days. Its one of the things that started killing the survival element in RE too (which started from RE3)
Not necessarily. With the mechanics above you don't need to limit ammo, you can increase the number and AI of enemies. Just because you have a lot of ammo doesn't mean you'll be opening up Uncharted-style - it'd still be suicide in a lot of places.

More enemies dont necessarilly solve the ammo issue. Not all enemies in the game are weilding weapons to drop ammo. This is why you get the impression that ammo is scarce. Otherwise ammo to enemy ratio should have been satisfying as it is.

More enemies for difficulty, not as an ammo cache ;) It's still all too easy on Hard to have a bad encounter or two and have to stealth around for an hour.

The game is not a shooter at its core. You want it to be a shooter. Its not.

It's got more weapons than Uncharted (and Rambo!), a weapon upgrade system and mechanics to become more proficient with weapons ;)

Why would you want more ammo everywhere on harder difficulties? To make the game easier? But you wanted a hard mode !
I still want to shoot things in the head - it's so satisfying :yep2: Leave the ammo but reduce food meaning that the choice between alcohol for molotovs or bandages is the kind of decision that isn't. You need more than just bullets to survive, you need health too.

no other games i ever played reached the level of TLOU. it is AWESOME.

Best game I played last generation, bar none. I just wish Naughty Dog made different choices for scaling up difficulty. Maybe for the sequel :yes:

i just finished my first playthrough in normal in 15h20. it was really great.
now i'll begin the left behind dlc. how long is it ?

He sounds like he has completely disinterested in game story, and just views the game as murder simulator.

I posted it because I thought it was interesting, not that I agree with him. He would have a unique perspective in playing this kind of game. He's a guy that's seen horror in real life, while it was happening and seen how people react. His comments are interesting. It's also interesting to see what a professional thinks of essentially doing their job but inside a virtual environment. He has insight, especially given the subject matter.

I posted it because I thought it was interesting, not that I agree with him. He would have a unique perspective in playing this kind of game. He's a guy that's seen horror in real life, while it was happening and seen how people react. His comments are interesting. It's also interesting to see what a professional thinks of essentially doing their job but inside a virtual environment. He has insight, especially given the subject matter.

AFAIK there are soldiers who have been to war and enjoy violent games just as anyone else, so having been through hell isn't really a reason to not being able to enjoy videogames.
He did seem very fixated on facial expressions to take hist photos, where TLoU still isn't really strong.

This was just a casting error. That photographer was just uninterested from the start, never bothered to try to understand the media at all.
And the photos he took are crap.

Subheading under picture : ""The game, which is very carefully rendered to look as real as possible..."

Clearly untrue. It's very carefully rendered to look something like a graphic novel. His 'photos' don't look anything like photographs.

Also, ""If I failed, I’d have my neck bitten, with blood exploding from my jugular in some pseudo-sexual zombie move, forcing me to restart the level."

Whether one agrees or disagrees with violent games, this sort of projection is just misplaced. The reason blood spurts from the jugular is because that's what happens. The reason it happens in game is because that's the environment and the threat. Reading sexuality into that either shows one's own visceral perceptions, or one's own prejudices, but it's the sort of pseudo-intellectual mumbo-jumbo that turns me off 'high brow' opinion pieces and their overzealous metaphorical interpretations.

As for the captured photos, there's no way I'd guess they were from a professional photo journalist! They just look like (pretty naff) screen captures to me. But that's probably because the rendering is so unrealistic that they just look like screenshots without emotional content. Perhaps people who haven't played many computer games will respond to the images more as if they were real people? Usual a game screenshot goes for the beauty of the renderer as best it can do.

I think the way he composes his images is a pretty dead giveaway that he's not just some gaffer fiddling with a depth of field slider. He never called it a murder simulator either.

just finished Left Behind.

OH MY...
they way they ended it like that and then the title come out LEFT BEHIND.

^_^ now im waiting for ND next masterpiece on PS4

@shifty
yeah, the "blood and gore and violence" in TLOU is goodly explained and well inside the context. heck, even the character themselves actually dont want to kill and do violence. they are forced to kill or die killed.

its quite rare for a game or movie to be able to achieve what TLOU has achieved.

I think article-author is completely wrong in most cases, especially when he says that gamers get's decensitized to the violence, because the characthers are emotionless in the enviroment.

Watch any let's play of the game, and you'll see 90% of gamers battling with tears when 'The Last of Us' logo is first shown, and the remaining 10% with their mouth hanging agape.
When Sarah is on the couch, watching Joel excitedly after giving him a gift, that's a text-book example of facial animation done perfect..

All the time when there is a non-realtime cutscene, it's to play with the gamer's emotion, and especially during those scenes you'll be taken on a emotional roller-coaster..:-/

And what kind of person would put describe the clickers as pseudo-sexual zombies?
I'm not familiar with 'Time Lightbox', but is it a newspaper or something, shouldn't they have some kind of editor reading over the articles - and then asking the authors if they know what the word means before they put it in print?

Does the Last of Us use any special techniques to give us the illusion of a big city? Are there low poly, low res textured objects in the background or just pictures?

Does the Last of Us use any special techniques to give us the illusion of a big city? Are there low poly, low res textured objects in the background or just pictures?

No more illusions techniques than most games with big landscapes.

But technically, graphically, and about the artstyle, TLOUR, and particularly Left Behind are the most impressive 60fps games on PS4 I have played. Much better than Metro and even slightly better than Ground Zeroes.

It's still the 1080p 60fps reference of the PS4 IMO. If only all PS4 games could have this amount of details combined with this image quality at a solid 60fps...

Back