Last of Us [PS4]

Oh I agree completely, it's one of those truly underrated films. The action is realistic and believable, it doesn’t involve one inhuman, practically unkillable person rampaging through it. Those two long shots that both last several minutes (I can think of the car scene and the building one) are just incredible and totally draw you in. It’s one of those rare cases of where the film is much better than the book, partly because the stories are almost completely different. Never does the main character pick up a gun despite them being available at several points.

Bit off-topic but Children of Men was hardly underrated!!

According to Metacritic's analysis of the most often and notably noted films on the best-of-the-decade lists, Children of Men is considered the 11th greatest film of the 2000s.
The film received critical acclaim; on the review tallying website Rotten Tomatoes, Children of Men received a 93% overall approval out of 208 reviews from critics; the consensus states: "Children of Men works on every level: as a violent chase thriller, a fantastical cautionary tale, and a sophisticated human drama about societies struggling to live. This taut and thought-provoking tale may not have the showy special effects normally found in movies of this genre, but you won't care one bit after the story kicks in, about a dystopic future where women can no longer conceive and hope lies within one woman who holds the key to humanity's survival. It will have you riveted."[75] On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 84 based on 36 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".[76]

Although its a glitch the video is showing, it shows that their claim that "GI from the flashlight is in all levels now" is false. There's no GI here, just like the ps3 version.

What would GI look like as opposed to this?

Well, the way it looks like in the levels where it is there ! The light from the flashlight bounces off the walls and cabinets and falls on other surfaces. The bounced light takes on colour of the cabinets and walls.
There is no bounced light in this footage at all. ND does't lie usually, but there is no GI from the flashlight here.

Well, the way it looks like in the levels where it is there ! The light from the flashlight bounces off the walls and cabinets and falls on other surfaces. The bounced light takes on colour of the cabinets and walls.
There is no bounced light in this footage at all. ND does't lie usually, but there is no GI from the flashlight here.

Ah yes. The way I remember it from the PS3 is that it's quite a subtle effect I only noticed purely by chance after quite a few hours of playing. I could only really see it when light bounced back onto the main character, who would be lit by a different colour depending on where the light was shining on, and not much on anything else.

It's enabled in some predefined locations, sadly it's off most of the time.
Really thought they would enable it in more places on ps4 version, or at least in 30fps mode.

Hopefully they will use something more usable for their future games.

I’d personally love to see a game that has more implied violence rather than blatant. A game where you could go through the story without murdering a person! Whether or not it’s possible, I have no idea (didn’t Deus Ex try this?). Even in a game like TLOU, which is generally considered one of the formats finest – you still spend rather a lot of your time strangling or shot-gunning people. I do find it a bit jarring whenever I hear a “Jesus Joel!” from an almost unfazed child sidekick.[/COLOR]

Many would, but still not enough to justify the budget to produce such game with the kind of production quality a game like TLOU has. We will get there eventually, I'm sure. TLOU itself is way more subtle and quiet than anyone would dare imagine possible on a commercially successful game 10 years ago. Those things take time, unfortunately.

bfi = black frame insertion. Sony has been doing this for a few years now with its medium grade and higher TVs (its called impulse mode) and it makes 60fps games have almost no motion blur.

Whenever I tried Impulse mode on my Sony TV the image looked weird and never understood the point of it

. I do find it a bit jarring whenever I hear a “Jesus Joel!” from an almost unfazed child sidekick.

TLOU kind of good in explaining why the kid become more and more "fine" with murder. At lease compared to all goes happy Uncharted series.

in TLOU, early on... Ellie dont agree with what joel do, complain why he is so cruel. But slowly the game shows that violence are needed to survive on this crazy world. Joel also tell ellie that
joel has been on both side (good and bad people)

It has the same motion blur as the 60 fps mode, so it's actually blurring at half speed and introducing visible discontinuity between movements.

I just downloaded the remaster last night and had a quick play.

What immediately becomes apparent to me at least, is how selective our memory tends to be. Playing this last night, I couldn't imagine how much better it looks compared to the PS3 version that I played a couple of months ago. Sure, side by side - the difference is striking, but comparing from memory, I can't really put my finger on anything apart from the obvious factors like resolution, texture detail and overal much better IQ and smoother framerate.

Perhaps it's also a testament to how good the game already looked on the PS3. Even so, it's easily visible that this is a last generation game. Not that it bothers me much though. The framerate is nice and smooth (playing at 60fps - will not bother with the 30fps lock).

I never completed the PS3 version (kind of stopped playing half way through), so I have a long way to go before I'll progress on the PS4 version.

Any advice on difficulty? I think I played it on "normal" on the PS3 and started my game last night on normal as well. While playing the PS3 game, I felt that ammo and health are quite low at all times, so in order to give a bit more enjoyment, I figured I might stick to that difficulty. What do the harder difficulties do? Just less ammo/health or are there more enemies too? Do they play different - perhps increased levels of hearing/seight?

Any advice?

I play on normal with the visual hearing mode turned off ... Afaik Hard does all of those things: smarter enemies, more enemies, less ammo and other items

Back