Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yer or I remember shooting out lights in the N64 Goldeneye, also watermelons in MGS2 (on the tanker)

The warehouse lights in KZ2 should be destructible. The question is will it affect the AI :) ?
I sure hope it does !

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, is it just me or the flying pools of blood from the last year's gameplay seems to be missing this time.maybe toned down.Also, tha bandana guy's face looks weird this time.
I think the character model's poly count has come down, to accomodate for bigger environments.

I don't think the polygon count has come down. I can easily see the edges on the arms in last years video, and it still looks the same now.

Guys, is it just me or the flying pools of blood from the last year's gameplay seems to be missing this time.maybe toned down.Also, tha bandana guy's face looks weird this time.
I think the character model's poly count has come down, to accomodate for bigger environments.
nar, i dont think they're degraded, in fact the new shots appear smoother and less muddy. also the blood spray still remains, you just have to look for them.
http://i28.tinypic.com/2cdea8i.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/2rpcksw.jpg

Look at Rico's body(not face) and look at the bandana guy in the new vids. They look very weird.Last year the bodies felt heavy and meaty.Rico had a lot of accesories on his clothes, which are gone now.

but, on the contrary the env is Huge this time.

@ultragpu: saw the pics you posted. Maybe you are right. but I still can't shake the feeling when i look at Rico and the bandana guy.Look at the intro video.Bandana guy looks offscale, so does Rico's body.

Mod : Please don't use txt-spk

Look at Rico's body(not face) and look at the bandana guy in the new vids. They look very weird.Last year the bodies felt heavy and meaty.Rico had a lot of accesories on his clothes, which are gone now.

@ultragpu: saw the pics u posted. Maybe u r right. but I still can't shake the feeling when i look at Rico and the bandana guy.Look at the intro vdo.Bandana guy looks offscale, so does Rico's body.
i know what you mean, i also think bandana's face looked abit different this time, BUT, not neccessarily degraded as in polycount. it's no big deal devs change their design slightly during each cycle. i just hope we can get a direct feed gameplay clip so we can do more comparisons. right now, using offscreen captures would totally ruin the IQs of the game.
1zp7iv8.jpg

this is just wrong!

Yes! that is why I was not posting any images.Coz the whole blue thing and the blur is from the cameras.Only a direct feed gameplay vid can do justice to the mood of the trailer.

@ultragpu: saw the pics u posted. Maybe u r right. but I still can't shake the feeling when i look at Rico and the bandana guy.Look at the intro vdo.Bandana guy looks offscale, so does Rico's body.

I disagree - I think there's been an upgrade. Especially in Rico's face (he had one expression in 2007 - I hated the way he looked)

Edit: Oh, you said not faces... :/

It makes sense to optimize poly counts and textures during development. When they're building the first models they have no clue on what exactly the engine can do in terms of scene complexity, so they have to make guesses and hope that it'll all turn out right. It's all right if first estimations turn out to be wrong.

But as I've said before it also makes sense to do several passes on all artwork during development. So first get everything in the game, to be able to test it for performance, looks, gameplay and all; and then use all that you've learned to rework everything as good as you can. GTA4 for example had at least 3 different versions of Niko since the first screenshots from last May.

1zp7iv8.jpg

this is just wrong!

Yeah the non offscreen one (or where the camera has had little to no influence in output) shows more texture detail (yet textures below are more appealing to the eye IMO). But at the same time one can see how a offscreen photo where the camera makes strong influence can make the lighting look so much prettier (below) and the added bluriness produce the uniform image a la' GTA4 PS3 version.

It makes sense to optimize poly counts and textures during development. When they're building the first models they have no clue on what exactly the engine can do in terms of scene complexity, so they have to make guesses and hope that it'll all turn out right. It's all right if first estimations turn out to be wrong.

But as I've said before it also makes sense to do several passes on all artwork during development. So first get everything in the game, to be able to test it for performance, looks, gameplay and all; and then use all that you've learned to rework everything as good as you can. GTA4 for example had at least 3 different versions of Niko since the first screenshots from last May.

Yes, and if they can achieve roughly the same visuals with less resources, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff for other interesting additions. Throwing more resources to achieve more/better result is impressive, but doing the "same thing" with less resource can be a feat too. Regardless, the game as it stands is already stunning because of the artwork, lighting and post processing.

The only thing I hope they leave in is the freeze frame view. They had that in the last trailer... where they paused the landing scene in mid-air and fly around the city. As TTP pointed out, even far away backdrops (across the river) are modelled and animated properly to maintain the all-out war feel.

In one of the movies they mention that your comrades never leave your side throughout the game. Hopefully that means we can have a co-op mode. They haven't released a lot of information about this game. Mostly that it looks pretty.

one thing i noticed in the new trailer was the absence of ember caused by the explosion demonstrated in 07. i really liked those red particles floating around the atmosphere, hope they can throw them back in later, oh well, they got 9months and im here worrying.

Yeah the non offscreen one (or where the camera has had little to no influence in output) shows more texture detail (yet textures below are more appealing to the eye IMO). But at the same time one can see how a offscreen photo where the camera makes strong influence can make the lighting look so much prettier (below) and the added bluriness produce the uniform image a la' GTA4 PS3 version.
i much prefer the above pic though, it gives more depth to the environment plus the crispyness of the textures. of course in motion, the motion blur and depth of field would add to that advantage of what u described above. there's a fine line between blurry washed out captures and effect caused blurs.

one thing i noticed in the new trailer was the absence of ember caused by the explosion demonstrated in 07. i really liked those red particles floating around the atmosphere, hope they can throw them back in later, oh well, they got 9months and im here worrying.

Me too ! they were pure art ! the particles along with the mothson the lights gave an ethereal feel to it.Made it alive ! I think from watching these two levels and from the original KZ that every level will have its own feel to it !:smile:
I still remeber the Vektan Slums and the Docks ! they were beautiful and fun ! Also the bog kindof area which was completely brown.looked a lot like Resistance !

The variety made the first. We can keep faith in thier art style!

Me too ! they were pure art ! the particles along with the mothson the lights gave an ethereal feel to it.Made it alive ! I think from watching these two levels and from the original KZ that every level will have its own feel to it !:smile:
I still remeber the Vektan Slums and the Docks ! they were beautiful and fun ! Also the bog kindof area which was completely brown.looked a lot like Resistance !

The variety made the first. We can keep faith in thier art style!
havent played the first personally but from the art direction they're goin for KZ2, im sure we wont be dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back