Journey, new game from thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower)

Anyone got into this beta ?

I did with IGN giving bunch of codes here
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1179541p1.html

not the smartest way to do it but some peopl got in. There was already a patch when youn installed the game.I got 2 freeze after playing 5 minutes so i could not see the end of the level but the game gives that " flower" -ish feeling. same kind of melodical music, relaxing , peaceful gameplay.

here's another impression

Things worked much better when I came back later. Looks like they might have gotten a new update file, could have sworn I saw 2.01. Looked a bit dicey while updating, but this time it finished and I was allowed to play the game. More, I was able to play to the end of the 30 minutes or so that it took me to finish what is included in the beta. It didn't freeze on me during the game as others have reported.

The game is quite serene and surreal, there's no english or any other language for that matter for setting details, just a written pictographic language. The only instruction you get comes in the form of an outline of a controller with the specific command and button combo. So far you can walk with the left stick, move the camera with the sixaxis function, eventually you can jump and glide using the X button but only after you acquire a scarf. Each segment of the scarf determines how high and how long, and once you use up the charges you can't jump until you get some more. You can also make a sound pulse using the circle button, a tap for a small one, hold it for a large pulse. Other than pointing you in the right direction and occasionally giving you waypoints the game largely leaves you on your own after that. There's no run button, no climb button, you simply have to work out how to navigate the world on your own. The game is quite attractive in a very minimalist fashion, sand dunes as far as the eye can see, simplistic character.

The newest patch added camera control with the right stick. Nice addition. Looks more natural than having to use the sixaxis gyros. And I could play until the end this time. it took me 15 minutes to complete. There is the intro part and the second part of the beta where you can encounter somebody to help you. This gamegives you a really amazing feeling. The wide opened desert, the way it moves, the graphics are just so beautiful and when you encounter somebody you have this little smile like you re saying " finally i m not alone, someone here to help ".
At one moment I was stuck , couldn't go to a point because I had to fly glide really high in the sky to reach a plateform and the buddy I played with just showed me how to proceed. And I just followed and copied.

I do think communicating with either a microphone, via skype or messages could ruin the co-op experience of the game. It is so much more interesting not to use any other way of communicatiing while playing the game with someone.

Here's a nice review
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/07/journey-beta-impressions/

After walking through the door to the next area, I began the muliplayer portion of the game and came to the point that I stopped at during E3. This is where things get amazing.

s I walked through a long corridor, I found myself on top of a giant structure with various giant ribbons on the ground below me. I also spotted another player for the first time. I jumped down and headed to the other player to begin our adventure together. We sang to each other and jumped around for a bit, getting to know each other if you will. I love how immersive it felt, especially with the lack of a hud and voice chat. The soothing music and ambient sounds really added to the atmosphere as well.

I felt like I was playing with an old friend and we were just having the time of our lives in a place where time didn’t exist.

You know those moments in life that literally warm your heart or make you feel tingly inside? Maybe it’s a spectacular movie, holding hands with that special someone, or just doing something kind for someone else. That’s the best way I can describe how I felt through the entirety of my playthrough. It was simply a joyous experience. The final portion of the beta will sound sillier than the rest, but might possibly be the most fun I had.

Overall, this is one of the greatest experiences I’ve had playing a game, beta or otherwise. Considering it’s a beta, I never once ran into a glitch or anything that would otherwise take me out of the game. Simply put, thatgamecompany has a masterpiece on their hands and I can’t wait to take on the full experience when it’s ready.

I exactly felt that same sensation when encountering another player. it felt so warm and was really fun solving things together. I encountered another one who left me in the thirs part of the beta so I continued alone. Was way too short. But when playing, it just feels so unique each time.
the best thing is that you don't know whith whom you' re playing with. there are no hints, no name or whatever. And when you get to the end of the beta it's joy and sadness at the same time because you don't want this to end. And you' re like in that moment when you had fun into a party and everyone leaves. you got that little smile and waished it never ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what you mean.

Wait till your anonymous and quiet friend rush towards certain death *without hesitation* so that you can live. T_T. The sense of inadequacy and incompetence was rather profound to me.

Good to know you can make music in the game.

New patch fixes the freezing and adds right stick camera control. What an utterly absorbing experience so far! One of the pretiest things out there. So many little incidental details that add so much cohesion to everything. Tremendous lighting at play, especially a few......."levels" in.

Have played all the way through last night. And what a wonderful experience it was. The use of colour, the ambient sounds, and the music score are just so perfectly interwoven. My only downer on it is the lack of explanation as to what, why, and how. As you complete each puzzle you are presented with a kind hieroglyphic image that depicts scenes from history. And from this I presume you are to put together the history, which works but could do with a little more explanation, IMO.

The fluid physics controlling the sand is masterful and the art direction give you a real sense of desolation and of a recognisable but alien environment.

I saw one other person whilst I was playing but they were on the other side of the arena and I couldn't get to them before they had moved on.

Definitely sold on the idea here!!

Just watched a friend play and she ran into somebody during the 2nd stage, really cool how your mood changes when you meet somebody. I mean in you the player, nothing on the screen changes except for another character is there.
This has always been day 1, but now its, I really can not wait.

Back