Is it safe to say that, so far, the PS2 has the most amount of games running @ 60fps?

I thought LOTRO was filmed using digital camera's, did they also use film for some scenes?

I know traditional film has very pronounced motion blur depending on the speed of camera/object movement and shutter speed. Even fully digital cameras capturing at hundreds of frames per second can show distinct motion blur if an object/action is fast enough.

Film exposure will always capture some amount of natural motion blur just due to the way the film is exposed.

Regards,
SB

I thought LOTRO was filmed using digital camera's, did they also use film for some scenes?
Film exposure will always capture some amount of natural motion blur just due to the way the film is exposed.
It doesn't make any difference. The blur exists because the film/sensor is exposed for a fraction of a second long enough to capture multiple images. You're typically wanting 1/500th of a second or faster to freeze an image, although grand pans will want faster (but that'd look terrbily stuttery!). It's been mentioned on this board that cinematography will shoot at 1/48th of a second. I guess digital could make a difference if the CCDs are more senstive than film, but that'd be news to me. Certainly in digital photography we're in the same ISO speeds and the same shutter speeds.

Yes, as I mentioned even digital camera's will capture motion blur depending on the speed of the object being filmed/speed of the camera moving/shutter speed etc.

This is in stark contrast to a computer generated 3D image (3D games primarily, 3D films will add mortion blur to increase perceived smoothness) where there is absolutely zero motion blur artifacts (although some games are now experimenting with/introducing that element).

Without those artifacts a 3D generated scene will always appear less smooth than a 24 fps film source.

Regards,
SB

That's true at a given framerate, but I'd probably prefer 120Hz CG movement over 24 fps filmed movement for smoothness in plenty of cases.

And I never seem to hear the end of the "games at 60fps are faster" argument. Even when I have posted demo projects which show things running at the exact same speed at both 30fps and 60fps, gamers still argue the fact, accusing my demos of being false.

Not being argumentative, but would you mind posting this?

I remember ridge racer "HD" being sold in the limited edition of ridge racer type 4, it was ridge racer 1 with higher res graphics and 60fps, it felt way better than the original one.

How many games last gen were 60fps Progressive scan and not interlaced?
With this gen people are aiming for 30fps progressive with few at 60fps interlaced.
I'm not sure but I would have expected there to be some form of optimization you could do (rendering half as many pixels) if you knew you were only outputting to interlaced.

Who, exactly, is making interlaced games this generation?

I was meaning mostly the amount of games that seem to offer 720p at 30fps, but also offer 1080i with 60 field updates (who knows if thats 60 interlaced half-frames or 30 frames just output in an interlaced format)

How many games last gen were 60fps Progressive scan and not interlaced?
many high profile games had the option for progressive output (well, 1-2 years after PS2`s release): Jak series, Ratched & Clank, God of War series, GT4, Burnout 3. Alot more Im not sure about now.

With this gen people are aiming for 30fps progressive with few at 60fps interlaced.
I'm not sure but I would have expected there to be some form of optimization you could do (rendering half as many pixels) if you knew you were only outputting to interlaced.
yeah, you could render frames at half-height, PS2 games did that but it would look really messy once the frames drop a bit.

many high profile games had the option for progressive output (well, 1-2 years after PS2`s release): Jak series, Ratched & Clank, God of War series, GT4, Burnout 3. Alot more Im not sure about now.
Throw Tekken 4 in there too.

Is it me though or was the DC the console that had the most progressive support?

Throw Tekken 4 in there too.

Is it me though or was the DC the console that had the most progressive support?

And Tekken 5 as well as SCII. There are a lot more games that supported 480p output, but the problem was (and still is) that SCEA and SCEE never made it a requirement for publisher to list it on the box. Even with the PS3, you could never tell that a game like Uncharted (or Uncharted 2 for that matter) for example had a 1080p mode and had DTS and LPCM audio options.

In Japan, it's standard to see that on the boxes. The only exception in the west has been Tecmo's NG Sigma 2.

The Xbox actually had the most number of games that supported 480p output, but the DC may be the 2nd percentage wise (I think even the GC had more in the long run).

The Xbox actually had the most number of games that supported 480p output, but the DC may be the 2nd percentage wise (I think even the GC had more in the long run).

Yep probably 98 % of Xbox games were atleast 480p, quite a few were 720p actually.

I was meaning mostly the amount of games that seem to offer 720p at 30fps, but also offer 1080i with 60 field updates (who knows if thats 60 interlaced half-frames or 30 frames just output in an interlaced format)

It's 30 frames in an interlaced output.

Both Xbox 360 and PS3 use the creation of a 1080p framebuffer, even for 1080i support.

Surely the only people making interlaced games this gen are people like Platinum Games with Madworld on Wii (480i), that's if you count the Wii as part of this generation of course.

Yep probably 98 % of Xbox games were atleast 480p, quite a few were 720p actually.

Did the Euro Xbox ever support progressive scan? I seem to remember it was purposefully disabled over here (along with VGA everywhere). Great stuff.

Did the Euro Xbox ever support progressive scan? I seem to remember it was purposefully disabled over here (along with VGA everywhere). Great stuff.

Microsoft never released the HD AV pack in Europe. My memory is getting hazy, but I think I had a third party VGA pack for my modded Euro unit, which worked fine on my 22" CRT monitor, and then later on I bought NTSC unit from Canada and used the HD AV pack with my HD-ready projecton TV. Plenty of the games were region free back then, so many Euro copies did support 480p on an NTSC machine. It was also easy and cheap to buy games from Canada, but yeah MS screwed us big time by not providing us the HD pack officially.

You can add Black to that list and I think Shadow of the Colossus had that option aswell. I'm fairly certain that Primal, Ghosthunter and The Getaway had optional progressive out also.

You can add Black to that list and I think Shadow of the Colossus had that option aswell. I'm fairly certain that Primal, Ghosthunter and The Getaway had optional progressive out also.
Yeah, there were tons.. just listed the ones Im sure of (once I get a HDTV I surely will get lose weeks replaying all of them in progressive glory). ZoE 2 and Maximo was progressive 60FPS aswell i think.

But SotC? that game couldn't keep 30fps in fights... and I think the question was about 60FPS games, it would surprise me if it had a progessive mode either way.

Back