"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Appaloosa is another studio that seemed to have a strong command of the DC HW. The school of fish is particularly impressive and what I assume to be a good demonstration of CPU based particle effects.
The animations of the mermaid are sophisticated and simply beautiful. Lots of transparencies, and effective use of environment mapping for caustics.
Doubt that would run with that fidelity on DC, but it could be close

Actually that was done before , a handful of games overlapped blended quads . Best example I remember was skies of arcadia in the Opening scenes , they overlapped a quad with varying degrees transparency per each vertex to give it a soft light coming from an angle but it wasn't the only time used on dc. Overworks again used that same effect on the intro stages of Shinobi 2002 ps2, so it's a pretty simple but effective technique.

The guy who did soul calibur 2 test for dc mentioned that 60 fps dc is more delicate performance wise than it is at 30 fps. Also mentioned at 30 fps layered transparencies become negligible to impact performance. At 30 fps you can have scenes that range up 60k polygons per frame and 2 to 4 layers of transparent quad with almost no performance cost with them on or off. So imagine if they had been less 60 fps obsessed and more detail oriented at 30 fps since it has more performance legroom at that rate.

Fake bloom skies of arcadia
Screenshot-20240420-054425.png
Now that you mention the 30 fps, It is possible to lock the framerate to 30 fps in Doa2 keeping 1x speed, It would be a good test case to ramp the geometry of one stage + transparencies to the max and see how far we can push the console.

Now that you mention the 30 fps, It is possible to lock the framerate to 30 fps in Doa2 keeping 1x speed, It would be a good test case to ramp the geometry of one stage + transparencies to the max and see how far we can push the console.
That's interesting, so actual gameplay / physics animation don't slow down and sync just fine at 30 fps? Nice to see it's frame rate independent like that.

You might definitely be able to increase detail considerably then if you keep it consistent 30 fps. ( Might be able to use one of those Xbox 1 doa stages even) I wonder if one can change something in the 1st read to force 30 fps frame lock.

That's interesting, so actual gameplay / physics animation don't slow down and sync just fine at 30 fps? Nice to see it's frame rate independent like that.

You might definitely be able to increase detail considerably then if you keep it consistent 30 fps. ( Might be able to use one of those Xbox 1 doa stages even) I wonder if one can change something in the 1st read to force 30 fps frame lock.
No, It depends, when It is GPU bound It runs at 30 fps at 1x speed when It IS CPU bound It slows downs, or so It seems, but I found a memory address that locks the Game to 30fps.

Would you look at that… He was asked in the comment if this particular demo could run on DC, and he answered « I think yes »

I believe artistic literacy remains the most important factor when it comes to great graphics.

Top NAOMI 2, bottom Pachinko. You can clearly see Naomi 2 is way more detailed, even with cloth texture, higher res, way better lighting...One thing is for sure, Pachinko VF4 does not run on Naomi 2.... And for the flatter lighting, way less detailed stages....Gotta Naomi 1 or directly a Dreamcast. Since i played Force Five always had a VF4 appeal to me, could it be Sammy used this Pachinko VF4 as tech base for creating Force Five/Jinji Storm?

View attachment 10595View attachment 10594

In this example I am not sure it is possible to determine whether there has been a significant downgrade in terms of polycount if at all. That said the original Naomi 2 character models are tremendously wasteful in terms of polygon allocation, so I wouldn't be surprised if cutting down on the polycount had a limited impact.

I also took a good look at the videos you guys posted of the Pachinko game, and characters do have specular lighting on both skin and clothing. The specular highlights are broad and are therefore not as noticeable, but they're definitely there. The spikes on his head appear to be environment mapped. Textures are heavily down-which seems to support your theory.

I think you guys are right, this is very likely running on DC-ish HW.

Very nice catch.

Back