"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

@xaeroxcore I've been following the progress of his DoA2le mods for a while, and it's absolutely amazing what he's doing with it! Hopefully one day someone will be able to swap out the models and stages and make a virtua fighter 4 mod, just as proof that it could work, haha!

Top NAOMI 2, bottom Pachinko. You can clearly see Naomi 2 is way more detailed, even with cloth texture, higher res, way better lighting...One thing is for sure, Pachinko VF4 does not run on Naomi 2.... And for the flatter lighting, way less detailed stages....Gotta Naomi 1 or directly a Dreamcast. Since i played Force Five always had a VF4 appeal to me, could it be Sammy used this Pachinko VF4 as tech base for creating Force Five/Jinji Storm?

Screenshot 2024-01-10 154636.pngScreenshot 2024-01-10 154817.png

I mean, look ath this one, it seems closer to Force Five geometry and lighting than regular Naomi 2 VF4. I´d bet DOA 2 characters have more polys...

According to him, they're ps2 models with better textures. It looks like that's absolutely true. No point in making new lower poly models when you already have them, so I'm inclined to believe that's exactly what they are!

Top NAOMI 2, bottom Pachinko. You can clearly see Naomi 2 is way more detailed, even with cloth texture, higher res, way better lighting...One thing is for sure, Pachinko VF4 does not run on Naomi 2.... And for the flatter lighting, way less detailed stages....Gotta Naomi 1 or directly a Dreamcast. Since i played Force Five always had a VF4 appeal to me, could it be Sammy used this Pachinko VF4 as tech base for creating Force Five/Jinji Storm?

View attachment 10595View attachment 10594
Yep, i truly think this could be Naomi, but everywhere I've looked, no one seems to know. It hasn't been dumped either, so that doesn't help. There's a company called rodeo that i think might have helped with it, but all i found was an announcement from them, but it doesn't say the hardware
... someone messaged me and said they'd try to track down the hardware and dump it. It totally would be worth it imo. Especially since for some reason pachinko is the only way to experience VFs actual story

Someone is modding dead or alive 2 with stages from soul calibur 2, 3 and psp along with other games including doa dimensions. They seem to run fine. It's interesting because doa2 characters are on the higher end of spectrum polycount wise for that generation for fighting games( soul calibur 2 and Virtua fighter 4 , tekken tag are lower, on par with sc3

Esppiral said:
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yup, this shows how well optimized the doa engine was for DC. I could legit see soul calibur 2 looking similar to that first pic. I want to live in that reality 😭

Someone is modding dead or alive 2 with stages from soul calibur 2, 3 and psp along with other games including doa dimensions. They seem to run fine. It's interesting because doa2 characters are on the higher end of spectrum polycount wise for that generation for fighting games( soul calibur 2 and Virtua fighter 4 , tekken tag are lower, on par with sc3
For some reason I cannot see the screenshots.

The Dreamcast had a lot left in the tank.

Maybe not in terms of how many polygons per second you could get out of it, but in terms of how you managed texture and polygon budgets, and how you used techniques like normal maps, aniso, ssaa, and render to texture.

I wish it'd had 16MB of vram and a slightly bumped up CPU instead of the modem as standard. The modem was cool and I'd have bought one as an extra, but most people never used it.

Back