Formula 1 - 2023 Season

Huh. “Mixed” conditions working for McLaren again. Hopefully the fight for P2 and P3 lasts all race.
Let’s go Mclaren!!!

Hopefully those tires hold and the tire degradation doesn’t show up. Really exciting times for these boys.

Oscar doing phenomenal on his debut year.

Let’s go Mclaren!!!

Hopefully those tires hold and the tire degradation doesn’t show up. Really exciting times for these boys.

Oscar doing phenomenal on his debut year.
I love that the crowd groaned when Max pipped Lando. Max had a moment on the last corner, too, so he may have lost a tenth just there.

Albon outqualified Alonso!

Piastri is doing what we hope most rookies do, which is to be a tenth or two off their established teammate.

Edit: The always informative Mark Hughes on quali:
Team principal Andrea Stella gives a neat summation of the development and circumstantial balance of the Silverstone qualifying outcome: “There is definitely a pattern [between here and Barcelona]. High-speed corners, cool conditions, soft tyres – actually the same tyre, the C3. Our car likes these conditions. The rear end finds naturally some good grip we may be missing in continuous laps when it’s hotter.

Here, Piastri also had the bodywork upgrade for the first time, although he was obliged to stay with the old front wing, which is reckoned to be worth 0.1s (the gap between Norris and Piastri in Q3 was 0.13s). “The car doesn’t feel too much different,” he says. “It’s just faster. Let’ see what our race pace is like but I have a feeling we can hang on now.”

“The upgrade has definitely added load to the car,” says Norris. “It’s clear we’ve improved; that’s very, very evident. High-speed, like here, we’ve made the car more efficient and the high-speed has always been one of our strengths anyway. Overall, our speed has taken a step forward. But the weaknesses are still the same… fast, flowing tracks are good for us and we’ve had a couple.”

The weaknesses remain the car’s through-corner balance in slower corners. It still can’t combine early rotation on entry with a stable mid-corner. How punishing that is will vary from one track layout to the next and Silverstone is reasonably tolerant of it and very rewarding of high-speed corner performance. But it will still extract a greater penalty in the race than in qualifying in terms of how it uses the tyres, especially on a track so demanding of the left-front (if it remains cool) and the left rear (if conditions are hot).

Ferrari is the obvious threat and should probably have been ahead of both McLarens even in qualifying. It’s end-of-straight and fast-corner-apex speeds were generally significantly up, with Norris able to claim some of it back with an earlier power application out of slow corners.

And a good post summarizing the field from the comments section:
“Deliberately Anonymous” said:
The battle for 2nd in the WCC is going to be very track dependent. Ferrari are strong in a straight line and on traction dependent circuits. Aston Martin are strong in low speed circuits and bumpy circuits. Mercedes are strong in medium speed corners and high deg circuits. McLaren look to be joining the fight as strong in high downforce, high speed circuits. Right now my money would be on Ferrari. They're very strong in quali and look to have found something to help with their deg issues and as the RB19 keeps demonstrating - straight line performance can take you a long, long way most weekends.

Last edited:
Huh.

Ham 1, Max 2, Nor 3, with .085s between 1 and 3. Supposedly the even grid #s are on the dirty side of the grid, so overtaking from there may be a challenge but if anyone’s up for it vs. Lewis, it’s Max. Lando may well sweep around the outside while Lewis blocks off Max. Apparently Max used two sets of hards and mediums to get through, so no new sets for the race. Lewis said he sent it in T4 and T11 (high speed corners?), as Merc was slower than others there.

Lando mugged a bunch of ppl sweeping thru the last few corners to start his last lap in Q1. George, who was mugged by a couple other ppl starting his last Q1 lap, is kicking himself harder than anyone to be starting P18 when the car was good for P1.

IIRC, FP2 long runs put Merc slightly behind AM and McLaren, but overnight setup changes seem to have improved Merc’s one lap pace. I think all three were slightly ahead of Ferrari in long runs, too. Everyone may have improved overnight.

Danny outqualied Yuki and avoided getting his fastest laps deleted for track limits his first time out. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Huh.

Ham 1, Max 2, Nor 3, with .085s between 1 and 3. Supposedly the even grid #s are on the dirty side of the grid, so overtaking from there may be a challenge but if anyone’s up for it vs. Lewis, it’s Max. Lando may well sweep around the outside while Lewis blocks off Max. Apparently Max used two sets of hards and mediums to get through, so no new sets for the race. Lewis said he sent it in T4 and T11 (high speed corners?), as Merc was slower than others there.

Lando mugged a bunch of ppl sweeping thru the last few corners to start his last lap in Q1. George, who was mugged by a couple other ppl starting his last Q1 lap, is kicking himself harder than anyone to be starting P18 when the car was good for P1.

IIRC, FP2 long runs put Merc slightly behind AM and McLaren, but overnight setup changes seem to have improved Merc’s one lap pace. I think all three were slightly ahead of Ferrari in long runs, too. Everyone may have improved overnight.

Danny outqualied Yuki and avoided getting his fastest laps deleted for track limits his first time out. Not too shabby.
Great race for McLaren. Unfortunately just getting some feedback that Oscar had some damage in the back half of the race so he was slowly being caught by the people behind him.
Great race, loved watch Perez work his way up. Very unfortunate for Alpine, Daniel did well for his first race.

I don't understand how Daniel ended up ahead of Tsunoda, much less other cars. He pitted way early for his last set of Ms, then I guess just capitalized on people pitting ahead of him and made his car too wide to pass? He was essentially last after lap 1, T1. Other than being punted at the start, great weekend for him in that he beat Tsunoda in every public metric.

Piastri seems so chill when talking on the radio. It seems odd that McLaren boxed Norris first, as normally the lead car gets preference. Maybe they knew Piastri had an issue and that was the quickest way to swap cars? Though that happened in the first half of the race, so before this supposed damage.

There were some weird pit stops this race, and huge disparities considering we're mid-season. You don't see someone spinning up the rear wheels while stationary that often, like Alonso did. Perez got the fastest service at 1.9s, and someone got a 7.3s stop (I think LeClerc because of a failed wheelgun). There were a couple of stops where the tires seemed to have been changed quickly but the jacks weren't dropped for a second.

Edit: Whoops, I guess Yuki got the 7.3s pitstop? Not sure that fully explains why he ended up behind Daniel.

Last edited:
[Prost] accused former Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi, who was sidelined last week, of "incompetence". …

"Laurent Rossi is the finest example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, that of an incapable leader who thinks he can overcome his incompetence by his arrogance and his lack of humanity towards his troops.

"[Rossi] thought he had understood everything from the start, when he was totally mistaken."
Shots fired! :ROFLMAO:

Alpine is just the French being French. Top management thinks things aren't going fast enough yet they've never been willing to make the make the necessary investments and now they've gotten to the point of firing people left and right.

No clue what they are trying to achieve. I read some rumors they might sell/team up with andretti/GM.

Ricciardo broke a bone in his hand driving into the barrier to avoid broadsiding a perpendicular Piastri parked at the super-banked left-hander (T3?). He didn't take his hands off the wheel and was hurt when the wheel jerked on hitting the barrier. Liam Lawson will fill in for him, presumably for a few weeks. McLaren have an improved rear wing, Aston have a new diffuser, Ferrari have a new upper beam wing, Merc have a tweaked skirt, but RB still looks a few tenths faster in FP2.

Ricciardo broke a bone in his hand driving into the barrier to avoid broadsiding a perpendicular Piastri parked at the super-banked left-hander (T3?). He didn't take his hands off the wheel and was hurt when the wheel jerked on hitting the barrier. Liam Lawson will fill in for him, presumably for a few weeks. McLaren have an improved rear wing, Aston have a new diffuser, Ferrari have a new upper beam wing, Merc have a tweaked skirt, but RB still looks a few tenths faster in FP2.
Damn that was hard to watch. He made the right move instead of plowing into him. Sucks he broke his hand though.

Qualifying will be exciting tomorrow. Hopefully Mclaren can catch RB

Mixed conditions led to mixed up qualifying results, with both Williams in Q3 and Albon on the second(!) row. Six different teams in P1-6. Bad day for LeClerc (crash) and Ham (out in Q2). Hard to say if McLaren’s good performance is due to their improved aero or if they still bring their tires up to temp (and thus degrade) faster than most. Russell said the Merc was hampered by its typical tame tire temps (better for race than quali) but he managed P3 and Ham said his tires overheated when he tried two consecutive push laps.

Checo was like 1.3s off Max‘s P1 time! He needs to stop whispering to and start yelling at his tires. To put that in perspective, Liam Lawson, who hopped into this year’s AT for the first time this morning in a wet FP3, was 1.6s behind Tsunoda in Q1, Sargeant was 0.6s behind Albon in Q2, and Piastri ended 0.8s behind Norris in Q3. What is going on wih him and his car?

Last edited:
Mixed conditions led to mixed up qualifying results, with both Williams in Q3 and Albon on the second(!) row. Six different teams in P1-6. Bad day for LeClerc (crash) and Ham (out in Q2). Hard to say if McLaren’s good performance is due to their improved aero or if they still bring their tires up to temp (and thus degrade) faster than most. Russell said the Merc was hampered by its typical tame tire temps (better for race than quali) but he managed P3 and Ham said his tires overheated when he tried two consecutive push laps.

Checo was like 1.3s off Max‘s P1 time! He needs to stop whispering to and start yelling at his tires. To put that in perspective, Liam Lawson, who hopped into this year’s AT for the first time this morning in a wet FP3, was 1.6s behind Tsunoda in Q1, Sargeant was 0.6s behind Albon in Q2, and Piastri ended 0.8s behind Norris in Q3. What is going on wih him and his car?
Hard to watch Piastri fall so behind in Q3. That was rough. Was hoping they would both be top 5. Really rough to fall to last among those that did not crash.

What a wacky race. Full wets are an odd tire, because if it’s raining hard enough to require them you probably can’t see through the spray they throw up. Ocon was the only one to put on full wets at the end but didn’t get a chance to exploit them because of everyone sliding off and the race director probably afraid of the chaos of everyone else pitting at once into an undersized pit lane (Lawson got a 10s pen for blocking McLaren’s box while he was double stacked behind a slow Tsunoda pit stop).

I still don’t know where the FIA settled on racing room in corners. Max ran a very alongside Gasly off the road in T3 and no further action by the stewards. Gasly was asked about it after the race and demurred, saying he thought it was okay. I think I saw a similar move at least once more by someone else. Is it acceptable because it was corner exit (i.e., not in the braking zone)? I remember Max closing the door on Leclerc all those years ago when they started to “let them race” but I thought the pendulum had swung back to that being not cool per the FIA? I’d love to see a montage of cars fighting at corner exits and the outcomes.

Nice look at some of the visualizations teams have in this 17min strategy overview of Gasly’s race by Bernie Collins (as good as Gary Anderson, IMO, and the same accent!) and Jolyon Palmer for F1TV:

(FOM doesn’t want their YT videos embedded, so click on the text and it’ll take you to YT to watch it.)

Does anyone know if an F1TV subscription offers these overviews live during a race?

Last edited:
What a wacky race. Full wets are an odd tire, because if it’s raining hard enough to require them you probably can’t see through the spray they throw up. Ocon was the only one to put on full wets at the end but didn’t get a chance to exploit them because of everyone sliding off and the race director probably afraid of the chaos of everyone else pitting at once into an undersized pit lane (Lawson got a 10s pen for blocking McLaren’s box while he was double stacked behind a slow Tsunoda pit stop).

I still don’t know where the FIA settled on racing room in corners. Max ran a very alongside Gasly off the road in T3 and no further action by the stewards. Gasly was asked about it after the race and demurred, saying he thought it was okay. I think I saw a similar move at least once more by someone else. Is it acceptable because it was corner exit (i.e., not in the braking zone)? I remember Max closing the door on Leclerc all those years ago when they started to “let them race” but I thought the pendulum had swung back to that being not cool per the FIA? I’d love to see a montage of cars fighting at corner exits and the outcomes.

Nice look at some of the visualizations teams have in this 17min strategy overview of Gasly’s race by Bernie Collins (as good as Gary Anderson, IMO, and the same accent!) and Jolyon Palmer for F1TV:

Does anyone know if an F1TV subscription offers these overviews live during a race?
Can’t see the video for some reason but Yea you get the metrics while the race is happening. A bit like dots going around the track, sector and lap times. Only available in chrome or web browsers. Mobile app doesn’t do anything but the live footage.

When I get home I’ll snap a desktop picture.

Back