Formula 1 - 2023 Season

yeah but its kinda dumb because they chose to retire the car and then decided to go out again to serve the penalty so they wont get it in the next race

what if they had crashed, the penalty would still be there and they may have had it next race.

maybe the stewards wouldnt apply it in the crash case but i havent read the regs
"kinda dumb" is subjective.

I don't like that this thing can happen either, as it kinda makes a mockery of the penalties.

But I see no enforceable alternative to this. Unless I guess they'd remove the posibility of penalties carrying over in case of retirement alltogether

I don't like that this thing can happen either, as it kinda makes a mockery of the penalties.

But I see no enforceable alternative to this. Unless I guess they'd remove the posibility of penalties carrying over in case of retirement alltogether
yeah anyway penalties are boring so im ultimately fine with it

Or, you know, just bring back the rule that was always there before this season? There's literally no excuse why driver should be allowed to exit the car and then return mid session if the race isn't suspended.

Or, you know, just bring back the rule that was always there before this season? There's literally no excuse why driver should be allowed to exit the car and then return mid session if the race isn't suspended.
does exiting the car in the pit garage count as abandoning the car on the circuit? at the circuit, sure but not on.

does exiting the car in the pit garage count as abandoning the car on the circuit? at the circuit, sure but not on.
Yes, just like in gravel traps and whatever else is around the actual circuit are (were) counted.

Yes, just like in gravel traps and whatever else is around the actual circuit are (were) counted.
those are places where the car can naturally go during the race while the pit garage is not

but we all remember michael schumacher being helped by marshals and pushed out of a gravel trap in 2003 at the nürburgring and he got 4 points and beat kimi by 2 points at the end of the year

those are places where the car can naturally go during the race while the pit garage is not
Huh? Pit complex is part of the circuit. You're actually supposed to drive to at least parts of it and drivers have plenty of times driven straight to pit garage too (to retire, not to jump out, take a nap and then return to race). You're never supposed to run out of track limits into gravel traps or other run off areas.

but we all remember michael schumacher being helped by marshals and pushed out of a gravel trap in 2003 at the nürburgring and he got 4 points and beat kimi by 2 points at the end of the year
Yeah, FIA has a history of ignoring the rules when they see fit.

Huh? Pit complex is part of the circuit. You're actually supposed to drive to at least parts of it and drivers have plenty of times driven straight to pit garage too (to retire, not to jump out, take a nap and then return to race). You're never supposed to run out of track limits into gravel traps or other run off areas.

i would argue the garages are not because the cars cant get in there on their own power, the pit stop areas are but not the garage which is where perez exited the car

you can lose control of the car and end up out of the circuit and you will have your lap time deleted and if you get stuck you either have to have very helpful marshals (i assume they wouldnt do this nowadays) or get out of the car in the gravel trap or the wall or wherever the car is and cant get out of under its own power

back in the day you could change car, remember the t cars everyone ran to after that insane lap one crash at spa or you could take another drivers car
way back at monza 1956 fangios car broke down and peter collins let fangio drive his car and win the world championship

i would argue the garages are not because the cars cant get in there on their own power, the pit stop areas are but not the garage which is where perez exited the car
They can't what now? Timestamped + countless others: YouTube

back in the day you could change car, remember the t cars everyone ran to after that insane lap one crash at spa or you could take another drivers car
way back at monza 1956 fangios car broke down and peter collins let fangio drive his car and win the world championship
Only when the race was suspended.

They what now? Timestamped + countless others: YouTube

Only when the race was suspended.
well i stand corrected, but thats not what they usually do. the put the cars on a trolley and rotate it and push it in

but no fangio changed car in a routine pit stop

anyway, the root of this is that perez is not very good and a better driver in the car would push verstappen more :D

Sprint::
OSCAR!!!!!! Let’s gooooo
Lando driving like a boss!
Albon!!! Incredible!

Safety cars were a real lifeline to the soft runners. Spiced up the sprint nicely.

Thinking more about it, as tires are the biggest limit (especially with these bloated current cars), I can see Piastri needing time to figure out how to maximize them. I'm thinking one-lap pace is mostly talent, long-run pace is mostly experience and how easy the car is on its tires.

I think Sam on F1 Tech Talk said that McLaren (still) makes their own gearbox (when they switched from Renault to Merc engines a few years ago, they kept their own gearbox), so maybe that gives them more scope to make changes at the rear than Merc.

Pirelli discovered signs of tire failure after FP (the-race.com has two good articles on it), probably due to certain curbs / kerbs, so “extended” the track limit painted line by 80cm into the track at two corners to prevent the tires sliding onto the taller outer edges. Apparently this shouldn’t have been news to them as, according to Sainz, the tires had issues back in ‘21, but this change obligated an extra 10min practice session before the sprint quali so drivers could get used to those narrower corners. Pirelli may also impose a max of 22 laps per set of tires, meaning we’d be in for a three-stop race tomorrow. That might not stop Max from rabbiting away at the start but it could allow for some more mixed-tire running and so more non-DRS overtakes.

Oh, and Pirelli will continue to be F1’s tire supplier through ‘27 or ‘28.

Edit: Also per BrrrakeF1’s sprint race watchalong (at 11:15), LeClerc started the race on 6 lap old softs and Hamilton on 7 lap old mediums and both survived, albeit with quite a few safety car laps.

Last edited:
That might not stop Max from rabbiting away at the start but it could allow for some more mixed-tire running and so more non-DRS overtakes.
Yea, the man is clearly a super talent. It's going to be incredibly hard to beat Max, with Perez being as behind as he is, and him being as far up - he's a super talent. I'm expecting him to go beyond 3x world champion, likely 4-5 until other teams are able to catch him.

Looking forward to a 4 stop race ;P Pleassseee

Last edited:
18 lap maximum per tire! That locks in at least three stops, somewhat limits tire advantage (though it still exists because people who didn’t need that many through qualifying have more fresh sets remaining) and maybe makes the undercut more powerful because it can happen more often but less powerful because the lap limit makes it more predictable.

18 lap maximum per tire! That locks in at least three stops, somewhat limits tire advantage (though it still exists because people who didn’t need that many through qualifying have more fresh sets remaining) and maybe makes the undercut more powerful because it can happen more often but less powerful because the lap limit makes it more predictable.
This is going to be crazy race.

Lewis went off and George went ham. Last to fourth isn’t bad. I think he did an extra pitstop and only finished a pitstop length behind Oscar and Lando? It’s probably unrealistic to think the Mercs would have put up more of a challenge to Max than the McLarens.

Red Bull did a 1.8 pitstop in practice, McLaren did a 1.8 in the race. Incredible.

Lando bounced out of his car for his podium interview while Oscar and Max sat and caught their breath. Logan didn’t even make the full race distance. Weird for a Florida resident. I thought he’d be at least familiar with humidity.

I’d like to know why Alonso spent so much time skittering off track and, more importantly, how the flying feck George could go from last to fourth in a feckin Mercedes while Perez couldn’t make it from a similar position to tenth. Bizarre. Maybe Perez’s tire situation was worse

ocon threw up in the car, sargeant retired with heat stroke

must have been insane, those temps, that humidity and the high speed corners where drivers were pushing because of the mandated tyre life

Back