Formula 1 - 2023 Season

Smooth moves ham.
Smooooth operator
ocon threw up in the car, sargeant retired with heat stroke

must have been insane, those temps, that humidity and the high speed corners where drivers were pushing because of the mandated tyre life
I suspect the format assisted Oscar run his best times knowing he didn’t need to manage his tyres.

Another sprint weekend means race quali is in two hours. Lance lost almost all of free practice because of a brake issue, so expect his quali (and possibly race) misery to continue.

The F1 Beyond the Grid podcast had a couple of great interviews recently: Adrian Newey and Andrea Stella. Some neat car dynamics info from Newey.

Edit: Q3 was tighttighttight! Max ahead of Checo, Charles over Carlos, Lando over Oscar, Lewis over George… but mixed up. T1 could be crazy Sunday.

Also, not sure why some talking heads even think Red Bull wants to ditch Checo next year. Max has said a few times he’d prefer winning easily to close fighting. RB has always said they valued the drivers’ over the constructors’ championship for advertising purposes, and they’re not going to want Checo taking points off of Max if the field is tighter. Lawson may have to wait another year for an Alpha drive. Danny Ric will probably get the RB second seat alongside Max as RB probably think he’s still slower than Max but more marketable than anyone else.

Last edited:
Quali was weird, especially in Q3. P1-P5 are separated by a quarter of a second, and P8 is only half a second away from pole. Both Ferraris exploded out of the blocks in Q3. Ricciardo P4, outqualifying Checo! Pity Tsunoda will start from the back of the grid because of a new engine, so I’m not sure he tried to set a time as a benchmark vs. Ric. Alonso had another spin, knocking him out in Q1. Norris had a bad lap and some pitbox confusion and exited stage Q1, too.

Max is probably okay starting P3 because he’ll get a tow for the huge run to T1.

Mark Hughes has a great article on quali explaining why Q3 came to Ferrari (dropping track temps affected car balance, favoring rear-limited cars) and went away from, well, everyone else.

wow mexico was terrible for alonso holy crap

though i was happy to see danny ric fighting in the top 10 almost getting russell at the end

If Norris qualified deep into q3 he probably had a good shot at podium.
Piastri struggled out there it appears, Danny was incredible, and it looks like Hamilton is starting to get his groove back.

Ferrari is looking good again. Quite an interesting ending to this season.

If Norris qualified deep into q3 he probably had a good shot at podium.
Piastri struggled out there it appears, Danny was incredible, and it looks like Hamilton is starting to get his groove back.

Ferrari is looking good again. Quite an interesting ending to this season.
yeah and hopefully rbr wont just add 20% over the winter and be unbeatable again

and ferrari should stop with the alphabet soup of strategies

Just found out Disney+ have released a 4 part documentary on Brawn GP
I believe it's called "Brawn: The Impossible Formula 1 Story"
ps: also Hulu in the U.S

Just found out Disney+ have released a 4 part documentary on Brawn GP
I believe it's called "Brawn: The Impossible Formula 1 Story"
ps: also Hulu in the U.S
ive seen 2 episodes, i think its fun

Vegas was a great race. I’m wondering if Piastri could have just held out 10 laps without pit and get a higher ranking there

Didn't he go hard x2? I think he had to pit.
Yea hard x2 then M for his final run. He was catching people, I feel like Mclaren should have executed the pit stop earlier.

LeClerc made me a fan today. I am almost getting close to mimicking his “arggggh”
That he does on radio whether he wins or loses.

end of a unbelievably successful season for max, insane

bulletproof reliability for him too
Super crazy consistent. I don’t think he will top this year. Next year competition is bound to be much closer as soon as everyone emulates their suspension setup - RB will need to pull another massive trick from their sleeve to replicate this success.

Super crazy consistent. I don’t think he will top this year. Next year competition is bound to be much closer as soon as everyone emulates their suspension setup - RB will need to pull another massive trick from their sleeve to replicate this success.
if he tops this year it will be the most incredible thing in sport ever or something

hopefully more competition at the front in 2024, love to see more winners

Just watched a youtube video in that video the guy said if you switch your ip address to austria you can watch f1 for free on orf

"In F1 cars, the tech is through the roof and it's the pinnacle of aero[dynamic design], and they are the best teams in world," Button told BBC Sport.

"But they are not as technologically advanced as hypercars. LMDH [hypercars] have 38 pages of just what the steering wheel does; there so many switches… so many different things for the same issue.

"There's lot to learn - it's a staggering amount of stuff and it blows your mind and takes a while to get used to.

"It's very clever but very complex, and it takes a different type of driver - you need the skill on track but also you need to be an expert in engineering as well."
Button's announcement comes as sportscar racing is experiencing a renaissance, with several major car manufacturers returning thanks to recent design rules allowing teams to experiment with performance philosophies, while other series impose strict limits.

Following a period when Toyota were the only top manufacturer in WEC, the 2023 season saw Porsche, Ferrari and Cadillac join Peugeot in a reinvigorated championship, in which Ferrari shocked Le Mans by winning after a 50-year absence.

The 2024 campaign will see Alpine, BMW and Lamborghini also begin hypercar programmes, with Aston Martin joining in 2025.

Back