Formula 1 - 2012 Season

Actually Ive found the opposite to be true the oficial cars lack grip and the mods are fine

You've driven real F1? I'm basing my comments on what actual F1 drivers have said in general about grip, and about some (old) F1 games

Anyway, if you really want to call just one game the one and only formula 1 racing game, it's obviously Geoff Crammond's GP4, followed by his GP3, GP2 and GP1.

It is true.. love GP4 .. and played the original GP on my Atari ST at around 4 fps.. :) Was still slightly faster than the Amiga version ;)

So, IMO, the main topic of interest lies within 3 areas at the moment:

- Sutil, DiResta and Hulkenberg
- the empty seat at Williams
- Petrov

From what I'm reading, it seems to me DiResta's seat is the most steady at ForceIndia due to rumoured money from Mercedes. ForceIndia isn't exactly swimming in money at the moment, so IMO I think the decision that will be made is on wheter to keep Sutil or give Hulkenberg his promised 2012 drive.

This will probably inpact Williams, as they may want to grab hold of whoever ForceIndia can not please.

At TorroRosso, it seems, Buemi and Alguarsuari survive another round and Ricciardo possibly will be payed to drive at Williams?

Back to ForceIndia; it seems Sutil was on his way out, but has achieved some very strong points for his team. Will he still have to yield to Hulkenberg?

And what will happen to Petrov, who's money is probably not unsubstantial and has done a reasonable job as far as pay-driver goes?

...and something that has been on my mind for a long time:

F1 2011 was a season largely dominated by Red Bull and especially Sebastian Vettel, will relative rules stability allow any of the other teams to get close to Newey's designs in 2012?

Dave, is there a particular reason you don't post as much as you used to in the F1 topics? I hope we haven't scared you away... :smile:

At TorroRosso, it seems, Buemi and Alguarsuari survive another round and Ricciardo possibly will be payed to drive at Williams?
I think this is unlikely - didn't Toro Rosso already confirm that they will use Red Bull "junior drivers"

Caterham may slot Ricciardo into Trulli's seat while Red Bull foots the bill.

I think this is unlikely - didn't Toro Rosso already confirm that they will use Red Bull "junior drivers"

Nope. In fact, nothing is confirmed which IMO is strange if the plan would have been as straightforward as to replace both seats with both younger junior drivers. I think Buemi/Alguarsuaries season have been difficult, but solid which is why it was hinted by some F1 journalists that they may indeed stay on for another year with Ricciardo possibly at another team (Caterham could be a possibility as well).

Former Finnish F1 driver JJ Lehto just received a sentence of 2 years 4 months in prison for his recent boat crash that killed his friend who apparently was passanger in that same boat.

Lehto used to commentate with Finnish MTV3 F1 broadcasts but has been replaced since the accident. Now it looks like we won´t be hearing him commentating any time soon. Shame... but horrible mistake on his part, ruined his life and ended another. :(

edit: JJ is apparently going to appeal to the court of appeal though.

Former Finnish F1 driver JJ Lehto just received a sentence of 2 years 4 months in prison for his recent boat crash that killed his friend who apparently was passanger in that same boat.

Lehto used to commentate with Finnish MTV3 F1 broadcasts but has been replaced since the accident. Now it looks like we won´t be hearing him commentating any time soon. Shame... but horrible mistake on his part, ruined his life and ended another. :(

edit: JJ is apparently going to appeal to the court of appeal though.

And for a reason, according to what I followed, it was just "feels like" judgement, without any actual proof of JJ driving the boat

Nope. In fact, nothing is confirmed which IMO is strange if the plan would have been as straightforward as to replace both seats with both younger junior drivers. I think Buemi/Alguarsuaries season have been difficult, but solid which is why it was hinted by some F1 journalists that they may indeed stay on for another year with Ricciardo possibly at another team (Caterham could be a possibility as well).

They have now.

Wow, total decimation. Buemi and Algersuari have been dropped like wet towels. Alguersuari had upped his game considerably in the last half of the season, but the hand of Helmut Marko has destroyed careers before.

Vergne has been quick in testing and now we will see what Ricciardo can do in a more competitive car.

Wow, total decimation. Buemi and Algersuari have been dropped like wet towels. Alguersuari had upped his game considerably in the last half of the season, but the hand of Helmut Marko has destroyed careers before.

Vergne has been quick in testing and now we will see what Ricciardo can do in a more competitive car.

Indeed. A pitty for Buemi and Algersuari, but I guess that's the problem with having two equal drivers in a struggling car - you just don't know how good they really are. To be honest, I don't think I'll either miss Buemi or Algersuari.

JoeSaward makes a good point that the chances for both drivers now are slim, as Bruno, d'Ambrosio and Petrov are on the market - all drivers with solid drivers and potentially attract more funding. Algersuari may have options at HRT given his nationality though.

And for a reason, according to what I followed, it was just "feels like" judgement, without any actual proof of JJ driving the boat

Well, this case has really made me dislike the guy. The "I don´t remember" route of handling things is just not enough here if he is an honest guy. I have yet to hear of an apology from the guy to the family of the victim or any kind of regret about being in a boat in a drunken state. It is a fact that he either drove the boat or let a drunken friend drive a boat, neither of which is anywhere near ok. And from the types of injuries I hear it would seem more likely that he was the driver.

Scarbs has made a blog post about the 2012 technical regulations

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/2012-technical-regulations-published/

Scarbs said:
3.7.9 Bodywork in front of the front (A-A) bulkhead must not be higher than 550mm, as outlined in my previous post
3.12.6 The manufacturing tolerance for the floor is reduced to 3mm (from 5mm)
4.2 Fixed Weight distribution confirmed for 2012 & 2013
5.5 Drivers torque demand via the accelerator pedal more tightly defined
5.8 Exhaust position confirmed as outlined in my previous post
5.19 Anti stall systems more tightly defined
8.6 All driver buttons and controls to be via dedicated input to the ECU. The Drivers use of these controls must logged for FIA inspection
8.11.1 Five additional sensors for data logging can be fitted for P1 and P2
9.2.5 Clutch control is more tightly defined
9.8.1 Clarification of multiple driver gear shift requests
9.8.2 At the race start and at pit stops, first gear must be used until the car is travelling 100kmh
9.8.4 Clarification of time allowed for shift requests to be started and completed
9.8.5 Track position cannot be used as an input the gearshift control
10.5.3 Uprights cannot extend too far inboard, similar to brake duct dimensions
12.7.3 Only tyre heating blankets may be used to warm the tyres
12.8.4 Wheel guns can only run on Air or Nitrogen, not Helium

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7410941/FIA-Clarifies-One-Move-Rule-Change

FIA clarifies the "one move" rule - if you move out of racing line to defend your position, you must have at least one cars width between you and the edge of the track when entering corner.

Also, Ferrari has been shopping around, and got t Rupad Darekar, Jonathan Heal, Ioannis Veloudis, Lawrence Hodge and Giacomo Tortora from McLaren, and are also in the process of recruiting Marcin Budkowskin, McLarens head of aero-department.

In other news, Williams has lost their name-sponsor, AT&T - however they're rumored to have new sponsor, bank from Qatar called QNB, as a replacement already.

why ??? seems like a rule for the sake of one

can anybody explain this

Cost, basically. It is just like using a wheel-nut made out of Unobtainium. It just isn't necessary. Helium isn't used for anything else in the paddock, while nitrogen is used in the tyres because it is more stable.
can anybody explain this
In the comments at Scarbs, they seem to think it is to curb novel ways of imitating traction control.

The world is running out of helium and it is essential for a lot of medical equipment etc.

Back