Fall 360 dashboard update details

Let's get the biggest news out of the way for the videophiles: Xbox 360 now supports MPEG-4, which means the box now plays both DivX and XviD files without a hitch. 1UP tested almost every variation of the format possible, including high-definition content as high as 1080P. All the files ran flawlessly, though Microsoft told us there's no guarantee all formats will be compatible -- but we imagine most will.
This makes me more happy than a person should be over a video codec. I can't wait to kick Transcode360 to the curb.

mkv support would be cool, but with almost all video and audio codecs supported now (they even added AC3), it will be as simple as demux the mkv, remux the streams to AVI. Won't take more than a minute or two for even the largest files.

I thought that this was pretty interesting

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-system-update.aspx

Did you know our system update package is only 7MB in size? Or that the entire 360 O/S resides on a tiny 16MB filesystem and when running it is only given 32MB of system memory? I mention this as our developers and testers do an amazing job of coding for performance, and that is overlooked by a lot of people. Each day they are faced with adding more features, improving performance, and creating magical experiences with those hard-capped limits. And release over release they are able to pull off some magic to make it happen.

:cry: No XviD/H.264 for Media Centre extender I guess they gotta give people some reason to buy those v2 extenders but still it's disappointing.

I see no mention of extenders (V1 or V2) at all in those updates. Perhaps the Media Center update needs to be made on the PC side now that nearly all formats are supported natively to the 360.

:cry: No XviD/H.264 for Media Centre extender I guess they gotta give people some reason to buy those v2 extenders but still it's disappointing.

My guess is we'll get support for all these codecs in the extender, just not right away. Probably requires an update on the PC side as well. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone found a way around the problem before we get official support from MS.

I'm not so impressed with the actual features yet (maybe I'm overlooking something I will actually really like), but I am very impressed with the apparent completeness of the list of changes. I don't think Sony has done anything like that and although I don't necessarily wish it an all consumers, I'd love to have it available if desired, as right now it's just wait and see in the forums what people have come across or what you manage to pick up yourself. :D

I guess that extra wait from "Fall" to "Winter" update was worth it. They've really outdone themselves this time :D

winter starts

The winter of 2007/2008 will start on the 22nd of December, 2007, at 1:08 AM EST (December 22nd at 6:08 GMT).
so Dec 4th is fall. :smile:

iceberg187

icon1.gif

I thought that this was pretty interesting

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archi...em-update.aspx

Quote:
Did you know our system update package is only 7MB in size? Or that the entire 360 O/S resides on a tiny 16MB filesystem and when running it is only given 32MB of system memory? I mention this as our developers and testers do an amazing job of coding for performance, and that is overlooked by a lot of people. Each day they are faced with adding more features, improving performance, and creating magical experiences with those hard-capped limits. And release over release they are able to pull off some magic to make it happen.

very impressive

Can you still download updates from the web and burn them to CDs? I don't have Live yet and only plan to connect my Xbox after moving to a new apartment early next year, but these media extensions are very interesting...

Nice job on Microsoft on getting the DivX support out there before Sony ... :D

Also, great job on the FAQ.

Is there a chance they'll do DNLA at some point though?

Back