Fall 360 dashboard update details

MPEG-4 SP is not the same as MPEG-4 ASP I'll edit my post to make it more clear.

If this actually pans out though that would be pretty nice if it gets DivX support, I can pretty much wave goodbye to my HTPC after this with DivX & H.264 support in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
original xbox games and on-demand movies soon!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175527
The Fall Xbox 360 dashboard update has been revealed to our colleagues at OXM from Microsoft and it's looking very good indeed with gaming classics and films on demand.

December 4 is the date you'll need to watch out for; that's the day you'll be able to download and play Halo. Yes, Halo as in the Xbox game, through Marketplace, on your Xbox 360.

Microsoft is introducing games it has published for the original Xbox on XBL Marketplace, with the eventual plan to bring as much of the back catalogue across as possible.

Games cost about 1200 Microsoft points (about ten quid), which according to us puts them a little over what you'd pay for them second hand.

The initial list of downloads includes Halo, Fable, Fahrenheit, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex and Burnout 3. All good then, apart from maybe Crash.

And if that wasn't enough, films on demand, though not confirmed for the December 4 date, aren't far away. Studios such as Warner Bros are potentially lined up for the service, so we can look forward to films such as The Dark Knight, The Assassination of Jesse James and I Am Legend appearing eventually.

Films will cost less than a fiver and come in 720p resolution. You have 14 days to start watching a film once it has downloaded. Once you started watching a film, you have 24 hours to finish it. After that, the film deletes itself from your hard drive. It's basically an online rental service then, like the US Video Marketplace.

so it seems the update comes december 4. the downloads are good for people who want to catch up on the big xbox 1 games because you can't find a lot of them in stores, although downloads do cost a few bucks more than in-store. I'm not sure if the on-demand films means that it streams or if it means an international service (I know the US marketplace has more films/shows for copyright reasons or something.)

Hm, maybe I should trade my Premium for an Elite. That 13 gig HD isn't nearly enough if I want to play some older Xbox games. I guess most of them will be 3-4 gig?

Hm, maybe I should trade my Premium for an Elite. That 13 gig HD isn't nearly enough if I want to play some older Xbox games. I guess most of them will be 3-4 gig?

Chances are they'll come in repacked form with some sort of compression and maybe some language tracks ripped depending on the region from which you download them.

Cheers - Chisholm

Wow - that's something completely out of the blue. It would be great to get some of the original Xbox's back catalogue readily available. I'm already building my mental wishlist now.

How's that for a first? Last gen's titles available as a digital download. You can't say MS aren't pioneering in this gen in a number of ways, from this to XBLA, to the fantastic Live integration into the console. Here's hoping Nin and Sony follow suit in some way or other - if the Wii can somehow store a full game, and the PS3 can manage BC in software as the 360 is able to do with its predecessor.

Edit: the article has been pulled. Possibly this was supposed to be a surprise? MS couldn't keep a secret if it had an anchor tied to it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the films on demand announcement. What are they giving us aside from maybe some new content that we don't have now. You can already "rent" movies from the marketplace whenever you want.

I don't understand the films on demand announcement. What are they giving us aside from maybe some new content that we don't have now. You can already "rent" movies from the marketplace whenever you want.
You know the world is bigger than just the U.S. and Canada, do you? ;)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175527

so it seems the update comes december 4. the downloads are good for people who want to catch up on the big xbox 1 games because you can't find a lot of them in stores, although downloads do cost a few bucks more than in-store. I'm not sure if the on-demand films means that it streams or if it means an international service (I know the US marketplace has more films/shows for copyright reasons or something.)

Love the original Xbox download service idea. I'm sure the PS3 PSOne library has a lot to do with it. Now if you do get achievements, then I'll be trading in my old games for a 120gb drive. LOL

As for the on-demand films service I'm sure it's the UK version, as ComputerAndVideogames.com is a UK site. It's the exact same way movies work here in the US(14 days to play, then 24 hours till it expires). It will start playing once it has downloaded enough. Love that they mention The Dark Knight. I'm definitely buying that. ;)

Tommy McClain

MPEG-4 SP is not the same as MPEG-4 ASP I'll edit my post to make it more clear.

What is the difference between SP and ASP, is it only the symbol coding scheme ? If so, a fairly efficient transcoder could be made to work on your PC (Update to Tversity).

Cheers

Hmm...

clanblade02.jpg

Photoshop skills or real?

Given how popular Clan support was in Halo 2, I would be surprised if they weren't working on it.

@pipo: this is a screenshot from a presentation on XBL APIs and how it can be used in games. It was pretty "hot" on the Internet several months ago. I know I've seen a clarification from MS at one point that it's* not a built-in feature, just a custom UI prepared for the presentation. Each and every developer can do something like this. The reason why there's no OOTB clan support in 360 was detailed in one of the recent interviews performed by Major Nelson - there is a huge difference on what "clan" states for in racing, FPS, RPG and other games. That's why "extend the guide" API exists**. Why developers don't use it is a whole different story. :)

* clan support
** there's even a message attachment functionality which can be used to send various things to clan members: strategy maps, multimedia, etc.

Back