F.E.A.R. for PS3 launch

Titanio

Legend
The press release:

PlayStation 3 Owners to Experience F.E.A.R.(TM)

Critically Acclaimed FPS Set to Launch - November 2006.

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, today announced that the award-winning F.E.A.R.(TM) (First Encounter Assault Recon), is currently in development for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and is scheduled to launch during November 2006.

Already a critical and commercial smash on the PC, F.E.A.R. will bring a new level of FPS game play to PlayStation 3 with exclusive single player content designed to immerse the player deeper in the world of the F.E.A.R. team, as well as the visceral action of F.E.A.R. multi-player.

Developed by Day 1 Studios in conjunction with Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R is a paranormal action thriller presented entirely in first person. An unprecedented adrenaline rush of close quarters combat seamlessly melded with the spine-tingling, shocking intensity of the paranormal unknown.

To get more information on F.E.A.R. please visit www.whatisfear.com.
F.E.A.R. will ship for PlayStation 3 during November 2006.

(original report In french:

http://www.jeux-france.com/news17002_fear-confirme-sur-playstation-3.html)

Thanks to Jim at GA for the NA press release.

I wonder if they'll do anything with the controller, or kb/mouse. I'm not feeling the attraction to these console versions now that the multiplayer is totally free on PC, but I guess we'll see what's new.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, then, it has begun, just as I expected. Like with the 360, 3 Months before launch, the floodgates of information and announcements are opening. I thought so already after some other announcements, but now I'm sure. This will build up, get a peak around TGS, and then just continue at a high pace until launch, I'm sure.

Cool. Day 1 sure has a lot of work considering all they've done in the last gen for Xbox. A lot of their job openings are for PS3/Xbox360 only btw.

Those screens look piss poor, why ?

Surely the PS3 would look alot better then that, or is just because the screens are crap quality?

I think they are not framebuffer stuff..

fear-unofficial-20060817002730830.jpg

looks like cvg was right with the Fear on PS3 news. (though snatches rumored it a long ass time ago)

I'm not feeling the attraction to these console versions now that the multiplayer is totally free on PC, but I guess we'll see what's new.
I feel the same.

1up claims the PS3 version will have exclusive content

While specifics remain a mystery, Vivendi has confirmed to 1UP that the exclusive content in the newly-announced PlayStation 3 version will be different than what's planned for the Xbox 360 release. Of course, that could simply be tilt-functionality, but we'll have to wait and see.

The PlayStation 3 version of F.E.A.R. will boast some exclusive single-player content and is being developed by Day 1 studios in conjunction with Monolith Productions. With more third party games coming to the PS3 with bonus content, will the PS3 have the definitive versions of these games?

hm..
IGN
The Xbox 360 single-player game is the same as the PC version, plus a bonus mission enabling you to play as another character. (This feature is unlocked later on in the game.)
Gaming Target
The 360 version comes complete with a bonus mission that helps to flesh out some of the more obscure story threads left unanswered in its PC counterpart,

Perhaps the PS3 version includes the expansion pack levels? Though I don't see why they wouldn't include those for the 360.

edit:

JoyStiq
Note: A representative told us that the F.E.A.R. Extraction Point expansion will likely make it into the Xbox 360 game.

I'm leaning towards "console-exclusive" with the Instant Action.

I think all these 'console exclusive' content claims are mostly a bunch of garbage.

Maybe a different level in the PS3 version than in the 360 version, or some nonsense, but nothing that fundamentally changes the game or makes one version any better or different than the other.

What does it take for a developer to say 'Exclusive 360 and Exclusive PS3 content!'? For them to make TWO new maps, and throw Map 1 in the middle of the 360 game and Map 2 in its place in the PS3 game.

The maps don't even have to be good, and probably won't be for all these PC Ports, because the flow of the game is already set. Anything new will either be a waste of time or 10 more minutes of game play, depending on how you look at it.

Downloading the Free PC MP right now... console what? Meh! ;) Of course I am sure all you console owners will really enjoy a nice FPS on the platform, although I have a hard time imagining it with a gamepad. Hopefully the PS3 version will support KB/MS!

Ive been looking at the benchmarks for FEAR on the 7800GT. And going on those id say PS3 FEAR could either be :

1. 60fps@720p with no AA

2. 30fps@720p with 4xFSAA

3. 30fps@720p with HDR

I personally would prefer option number 1 :)

The latest OXM comes with a 360 FEAR demo ;);) It'll probably be on marketplace in a week or so (just a guess)

FEAR on the PC had demos out in 2005 ;) Not to mention 19 MP maps > Demo :D Not to rub salt into a wound or anything ;) But hey, console gamers get a more stable build (hopefully), less cheating, and above average graphics (far better than what a $400 PC could muster). From the 360 screenshoots it looks like the Xbox plays Fear better than my $400 Summer 2004 6800GT investment. Just got to give the console FPS players a hard time though, you know how it is :p

It is a good point. I feel the same - if your PC is up to it, the freely available MP game takes some serious shine of any $60 version, IMO.

I'm sure there'll be some nice new content, though, and I'm sure there's a market among those whose PCs wouldn't be feeling lucky with the game.

Back