[360, PS3] BF:BC2 and BF 1943 online

My issue with graphics/destruction vs. player count is if these maps are designed for 64 players, it's going to be like fighting in a ghost town with only 24 players. If that were the case then why bother porting to consoles to begin with?

In this respect, I'd rather them keep the destruction and graphics the same as BF:BC2 and just up the player count to at least 40. This game can become the perfect example how gameplay should be a higher priority than graphics.

My issue with graphics/destruction vs. player count is if these maps are designed for 64 players, it's going to be like fighting in a ghost town with only 24 players. If that were the case then why bother porting to consoles to begin with?
In BF2 each map had different playable area sizes depending on the number of players. The same could be applied here.

In this respect, I'd rather them keep the destruction and graphics the same as BF:BC2 and just up the player count to at least 40. This game can become the perfect example how gameplay should be a higher priority than graphics.
Actually, that would be the perfect example of consoles dumbing down PC games.

They'll do like they did on Battlefield 2, and shrink the map when the game is set for less than 64 players.

I didn't realize BF2 did this, that's great as it would eliminate my concern about the maps being too big, but I'd still prefer a higher player count.

Actually, that would be the perfect example of consoles dumbing down PC games.

I was thinking my idea only applying to the console versions. I see no reason to hold back on the PC where more resources are available.

Is there a reason they can't just take the optimizations and advancements for Frostbite 2.0 to keep the same level of fidelity and destruction on consoles while upping the player count?

Of course I'm merely speaking from a console gamer's perspective who thinks BF:BC2 was good enough with damage/graphics and much rather them make the compromises to come as close to the PC version in terms of features and gameplay as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to Gaffer: Gameinformer info (I'm going to mailbox now to see if my copy arrived. :cool:

ALSO MOD can you please change my thread title to BF:BC2 and Battlefield 3?

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details #1
Okay, so going through the article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-
There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Saw the scans and the lighting looks quite realistic. The smoke looks really good also. Hope they can get realtime radiosity into the consoles, at least they have MLAA running on ps3 which is very good news.

Am I jumping to conclusions or acting premature in thinking that the 360 version is going to be the most inferior of the 3?

I've read a couple PPT presentations (bending the rendering pipeline and destruction masking in FB2) and there is little info on 360 specific optimizations in either presentation. However, you get the idea that Dice has made great strides towards advancing their tech on the PS3 (and impressively so). On top of that I just read a twitter Q&A on Planet Battlefield quoting that it's a bit too early to tell if the ps3 and 360 version will turn out the same.

I know I should probably read more on the engine/game before painting this kind of picture, but it's a thought that has crossed my mind the last few days catching up with FB2 and BF3. This year looks to be the year I finally build my gaming rig, so I may end up getting BF3 on the PC anyways, but my concern stems from the fact that all of my friends game on the 360 so I'd also end up getting that version to play with them.

Could this just be the case where the technical decisions do not favor the 360, 360 type optimizations aren't worth mentioning since they are better known than what they are doing on the ps3, or something else?

Edit:

I've also seen the scans and I WANT NOW.

Lighting sure looks great ! But I was kindof dissappinted that its the same brown middle-east kindof look ! I was thinking of a new look now that so many BF games have come out. But I guess its a sequel to BF2, so....!

Lighting looks nice in the scans, can't judge anything else from them.

Lighting sure looks great ! But I was kindof dissappinted that its the same brown middle-east kindof look ! I was thinking of a new look now that so many BF games have come out. But I guess its a sequel to BF2, so....!

Lighting looks nice in the scans, can't judge anything else from them.
Heh:

Feel The Battle! This fall, prepare to feel the most physical shooter ever created, powered by the all-new Frostbite 2 gaming engine.

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next installment of DICE’s cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before.

In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York

Features:
  • Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.
  • Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.
  • Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.
  • Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.[/B]

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=164272

Back