[360, PS3] BF:BC2 and BF 1943 online

That GI cover looks generic as hell but I'm beyond psyched for this. I can't believe it's been so long since BC2, that game still looks pretty good.

Edit: I didnt' see that the global illumination was realtime. What's the point in that, isn't that only useful if the lighting is changing in a level?

Edit2: wtf Tehran? That's a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
That GI cover looks generic as hell but I'm beyond psyched for this. I can't believe it's been so long since BC2, that game still looks pretty good.

Edit: I didnt' see that the global illumination was realtime. What's the point in that, isn't that only useful if the lighting is changing in a level?

Evidently, because it is real time they can do more with destruction so all of the components fall realistically, randomly and stay properly lit. And according to the article it has made the art teams much more effective.

Unless I'm mistaken, one of the benefits is the geometry doesn't have to be completely re-lit every time destruction takes place. Also IIRC, it's not completely 100% real time, there is still a good portion of it is pre-computed.

The new lighting model does help artist be more efficient, now they only need to wait 10-30 minutes for a level to precompute instead of possibly hours.

Saw the scans and the lighting looks quite realistic. The smoke looks really good also. Hope they can get realtime radiosity into the consoles, at least they have MLAA running on ps3 which is very good news.

Where was this confirmed? If so it would be the first multiplat dev do it, crosses fingers...but hope its not at a huge cost.

edit: nvm found it

2nd edit: so MLAA on GPU for 360?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I'm mistaken, one of the benefits is the geometry doesn't have to be completely re-lit every time destruction takes place. Also IIRC, it's not completely 100% real time, there is still a good portion of it is pre-computed.

The new lighting model does help artist be more efficient, now they only need to wait 10-30 minutes for a level to precompute instead of possibly hours.
Also after pre-compute they can change the lighting with interactive rates in the scene.

There was a nice part in GameInformer about.
The one with what looked like having balloons stuck onto walls.
Dice called them light probes if im not mistaken and they had more lighting info then a BC 2 map(or was it BF 2)

Heard that the 24 player count on console isn't set in stone. Because we didn't complain.

thanks to Nebula , here is a little blurb on the new animation tech they are implementing

- Animation Engine - It's called ANT (ANimation Toolkit), and it's shared technology among nearly all of the EA Sports games. ANT provides two things: 1.) a 'tool' which allows us to prepare our raw animations for the game (i.e. tagging when a player is down or what injury impact a tackle has on which body part), and 2.) in-game technology to actually execute all these animations. Anything custom to our game (and NCAA) is built as a plug-in to ANT...so it's actually not part of the low level animation engine. This includes things like IK Foot Pinning, Multi-Character Alignment (for tackles, blocks, etc), Catching, etc

Was that tech actually in the last madden and ncaa football? It seemed to me those games were still just using purely canned animations, unlike NHL and Fight Night which have updated for some nice blending of animations with real-time physics. Still nothing like what NaturalMotion is selling, but NHL's hitting showed big improvements this year.

Was that tech actually in the last madden and ncaa football? It seemed to me those games were still just using purely canned animations, unlike NHL and Fight Night which have updated for some nice blending of animations with real-time physics. Still nothing like what NaturalMotion is selling, but NHL's hitting showed big improvements this year.

yes, it was subtle but a definite improvement.

the foot planting alone and the movement when hit. NHL seems to have improved their application even more

Wasn't it also in Fifa 2011.
From what i saw at a friend the animations looked quit good.

yes.

I'll transcribe part of the interview form the magazine when I get a chance but evidently it is a plug in and then devs can tweak to their needs.

It is recognized mostly when running (foot plant) for transitioning into cover and transition in turning to aim. head goes then shoulders then torso without affecting FPS response time

Saw the scans, great looking. I remember reading in one of their documents from 2010 about them aiming for a compute shader based GPU MLAA with subpixel solution. That with or without MSAA sounds tiptop to me. :)

Though the new destruction system is what has me the most exited.

Where was this confirmed? If so it would be the first multiplat dev do it, crosses fingers...but hope its not at a huge cost.

edit: nvm found it

2nd edit: so MLAA on GPU for 360?

Actually Pandemic was the first to have MLAA on the PS3 and they were a multi-plat studio.

Is that in article or speculation? :smile:

I believe it was mentioned in one of their PPT, Bending the rendering pipeline I believe it was called. Though they didn't specify the 360, just GPU in general.

All I have to say is if you want a wicked online gaming experience, blast your router with dd-wrt, if you can. All I need is a non-broken microphone, and I'm back to gaming bliss. I had a couple tough rounds of Battlefield, due to human error, but overall my connection improvement was really making the kills come a lot faster and easier. I didn't play for about a week, and already started to feel rusty at aiming.

Back