DS or PSP

Wich one you prefer

• Total voters
The great thing about the iPOD is that it's battery lasts fairly long, it's fairly small, and can hold thousands of songs. In other words it's a true portable with great performance. PSP is kinda like a PSOne with LCD and battery pack less the TV out. :?

london-boy said:
About iPod, yeah that's what i mean, iPod is the best selling MP3 player out there, its THE iPod, and yet it still only sold less than 20 million units in 3 years (u said). 20 million PSPs are not going to damage Nintendo too much.

iPod is, IMHO, a bad analogie since there's a lot more (serious) competition on the MP3 player market compared to the handheld gaming device. :D

jvd said:
But the current cost of the ds is around 143$ usd . If that is correct then they can sell the system for a 150$ and just make money off the games .

Do you have precise details Jvd? Is this 143$ fig included conditioning, box, transport, etc? And even if it's all included, we have to add the profit that the retailers have to make from it.

If your numbers are right, if Nintendo sell their DS at 149$, they will sell it for a loss, like what Sony is planing to do with the PSP BTW.

Vysez said:
If your numbers are right, if Nintendo sell their DS at 149$, they will sell it for a loss, like what Sony is planing to do with the PSP BTW.

"Of course we have no intention of taking a huge loss in the beginning, but I'm not sure if we can efficiently boost profit from the start like we did with the Game Boy Advance, but this is something I think we can repair with time," Iwata said.

PC-Engine said:
"Of course we have no intention of taking a huge loss in the beginning, but I'm not sure if we can efficiently boost profit from the start like we did with the Game Boy Advance, but this is something I think we can repair with time," Iwata said.

Which means they will make a small loss in the beginning.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

I'm sorry but was there a point to your post?

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Yes, what was your point in re-posting what we all read before?

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

My post was for Vysez who obviously was speculating on whether or not Nintendo will take a loss based on jvd's DS price. In other words there is no need to speculate when Nintendo has already stated their business plan and the accuracy of the price is irrelevent.

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

My post was for Vysez who obviously was speculating on whether or not Nintendo will take a loss based on jvd's DS price. In other words there is no need to speculate when Nintendo has already stated their business plan and the accuracy of the price is irrelevent.

There u go, sorted then.

Ty said:
bryanb said:
You really are not getting this. Let's go over this again: the map in MP is available via a stop real time action subscreen.

Actually I was referring to the minimap/radar. Anyhow I went back to MP and yes, enemies DO appear on the radar but no, it does not show a minimap of the surrounding area. Nonetheless many games do have this ability already (minimap & radar on the HUD) and it works quite fine.

Again, you just aren't getting it.

(1) The tiny radar on MP in no way compares to a separate map screen. Besides its just a radar, not a map. Have you ever actually played MP?
(2) Due to screen size limitation the mini-map approach makes no sense on the DS.

Why are these basic and obvious facts impossible for you to grasp? I think you know you are wrong and you just posting for posting sake.

Vysez said:
like what Sony is planing to do with the PSP BTW.

I thought PSP was meant to make profit both software as hardware-wise? Sony can't really afford taking huge losses, why should they btw? They clearly stated the device was aimed at adults (who mostly have large pockets).

I thought PSP was meant to make profit both software as hardware-wise? Sony can't really afford taking huge losses, why should they btw? They clearly stated the device was aimed at adults (who mostly have large pockets).

Large enough to pay $350 for a PSP plus $40 for a game?

I wonder if Sony will do the old 1 to 1 dollar to pound conversion for PSP in the U.K?

Nah they couldn't possibly be that insane right?

Teasy said:
I wonder if Sony will do the old 1 to 1 dollar to pound conversion for PSP in the U.K? That really would mean death for PSP over here.

Nah they couldn't possibly be that insane right?

Errrrr.... No comment. After all it's what's been happening so far, and not only with Sony i must admit...

Evil_Cloud said:

Here's a link where Kaz Hirai explains that they expect losses for the initial sales period of the PSP.
Link to Reuter News

Errrrr.... No comment. After all it's what's been happening so far, and not only with Sony i must admit...

I don't think its happening that often now in the console market (not sure about other markets). MS tried it with XBox and quickly changed there minds when it didn't sell. Also Nintendo started at a proper conversion rate. Not sure about PS2, but I think Sony simply can't do this with PSP. I just think a £300 PSP would be a disaster. Especially if DS is released for £100 ($150 + VAT = £98 ), or even £129.

Just a thought anyway. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Teasy said:

I don't think its happening that often now in the console market (not sure about other markets). MS tried it with XBox and quickly changed there minds when it didn't sell. Also Nintendo started at a proper conversion rate. Not sure about PS2, but I think Sony simply can't do this with PSP. I just think a £300 PSP would be a disaster. Especially if DS is released for £100 ($150 + VAT = £98), or even £129.

Just a thought anyway. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Teasy, you and I just KNOW what's gonna happen. ;) o_O

if you think about it, i (and a lot of others) paid at current rate 550EURO for my launch PS2 .... so a 299euro psp could be still possible 8)

Back